The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running an R66 with CAN rotor, no reverse bars, and having problems with beans coming off the rotor and hitting the spreader and flying everywhere. Tried slowing rotor down, concave settings etc. Could the lack of reverse bars be the culprit?

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Yeah, the material is moving threw the rotor too fast... Sweeps? Or the F2 bar in the belly to disrupt the crop mat.

Beans thresh really easy, have u tried closing your concave down... Also check to see if your cage isn't plugging up with green stems or pods..

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the rotor slowed down to between 600-625 or so. Concave set anywhere from .30-.36. Setting on the cage in the back at 5. Not throwing a huge amount out but you'll see 2-3 beans/square foot. Funny thing is its not really showing up on the grain loss much at all. And if you make a pass and stop and check you can't find much in the direct swath behind the combine but walk about 20 feet out in either pass next to the combine is where you find it all. Also starting to show a lot of splits yesterday afternoon.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the beans are pretty dry so that's why I've got the concave opened up to keep from splitting as much as possible. But I really don't want to open it up anymore than it already is. I know I'm getting some shatter and bounce off the head but like I said walk 20 feet or so on each pass either side of the machine and you see beans, I wouldn't think the head would throw them that far. And the way the fins are set off the back seive it's throwing just inside the swath of the head. So I narrowed it down to the spreader throwing it that far. And I always do question the pads on the grain loss monitor and whether they're working properly or not. But I talked to the dealer last year when I took it in for its winter service and the mechanic said he would check them out. I guess I assumed he did and they either checked out or he replaced them. But I guess we never really had that conversation after at all...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I suggest dropping the spreader to see exactly where the loss is coming from. You can drive yourself crazy adjusting when all along it might be header shatter. Hard to look at the ground and see the difference in grain from spreader or header shatter.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Checking for rotor loss is easy, have someone walk along just outside the straw spread and see if they get pelted by flying soybeans, lol! Soybean hurt when thrown for spreader and they will travel a long ways.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Speed the rotor up when you are seeing rotor loss out the spreader. The grain is going out with the crop mat and not being flung out of the rotor cage. Just watch for cracking. There is a usually a fine line between loosing out the rotor and cracking to many beans.

Oh instead of walking by the combine, sit in a tractor or truck on the spread side when it goes by. The guy in the truck will know if its getting hit by soy beans

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've always been told to slow the rotor down if there's loss off the rotor. That and slow it down if it's dry. And they're plenty dry. I've got the rotor slowed down and the concave opened up as much as I fare and still have beans flying off the spreader and splitting. Sometimes I honestly think it's just the variety of beans and there's not much you can do after a certain point. I know I've seen that in corn.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If they are good and dry I like the rotor around 420-450, if I'm getting rotor loss I close the concave to .05-.09. Two day's we thought we were having big rotor loss, lots of grain being thrown to left and right side. Turned out to be shoe loss and being thrown out to the side by the chaff spreader because we had a leak on the rear feed chain door causing the fan to get sticky and build up with bean dust, choking off the air. Fixed the leak and cleaned the fan, no more problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.