The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it even possible to get rotor loss in canola?

30 bu/acre, good stand, dry straight cut

Can’t even use my rotor flaps cause rotor loss too high.

Tried every combination. Haven’t done pan test yet to see if it’s actual losses. Just trusting sensor.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
You can defiantly loose it out the rotor. Don’t be scared to use high rotor speed in straight cut

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
With our wide body 590's we are running no rotor covers, keystocks in rotor grates 3 and 4, rotors at 875rpm, concave at 20-25, lower sieve 4, upper sieve at 14, cylinder speed around 460rpm, fan at 810 rpm, and smooth 6mm slotted APS grates open. Our rotor loss is about the same as the sieve loss. We are cutting 40ft at 2.5-3 mph in around 40 bushel per acre canola throwing out 5-10 lb of seed per acre. No roundup was sprayed on the canola. If you have rotor loss speed up the rotors.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
With our wide body 590's we are running no rotor covers, keystocks in rotor grates 3 and 4, rotors at 875rpm, concave at 20-25, lower sieve 4, upper sieve at 14, cylinder speed around 460rpm, fan at 810 rpm, and smooth 6mm slotted APS grates open. Our rotor loss is about the same as the sieve loss. We are cutting 40ft at 2.5-3 mph in around 40 bushel per acre canola throwing out 5-10 lb of seed per acre. No roundup was sprayed on the canola. If you have rotor loss speed up the rotors.
Could you increase speed much, with losses being just a bit higher ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T
Thanks. Sounds like speed is the factor. Just disappointing using only 40% engine load. Going 3.5 with a 45 ft head. 20/500/1050

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What machine ? Have you had this issue before or are you new to the machine ?
New to this 8600. Last year in a 760 limit was sieve loss. Don’t think I’ll stuff much more dry mass into this header anyways.

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
Bitjjl we can not physically travel much faster with our headers. The bottle neck is the center. I am not sure how to make them feed the canola better at a faster travel speed. At 2.5-3 mph everything runs smooth. Since we were right by our yard I could run to the shop and weigh our losses. It was actually 5 lb per acre or .004 lbs of seed in a 4.5 sqft window screen if I remember right. I was surprised how low it was.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
That is very good for low losses. Impressive. Through put not on the high end, but I assume you run macdon heads like us, and that can be a bottle neck.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I’d throw some pans down. The sensor is meaningless if your not giving it some validation. I can’t see how rotor loss could be remotely the limiting factor.
We’ve combined a lot of straight cut 60bu canola at 3.5 40ft head at power limit old 590’s.

Well unless maybe the straw is super wet green?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’d throw some pans down. The sensor is meaningless if your not giving it some validation. I can’t see how rotor loss could be remotely the limiting factor.
We’ve combined a lot of straight cut 60bu canola at 3.5 40ft head at power limit old 590’s.

Well unless maybe the straw is super wet green?
Those were my thoughts exactly. In powder dry canola how can there be rotor losses? Pan test tomorrow

·
Registered
136 Posts
We in 258 invigor Terrible hard to thrash out. Concave 10 cylinder 600 speed bump in and cylinder filler plates up fan 950 rotors 1050 17 and 6 on sieves. 4 flaps open 3 mph 40 foot swath 55 to 60 crop 1.25 out back. Took one to m39 crop that’s a bit heavier and back to normal settings 4 mph and 1/3 bu out back. These are on 8700

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We in 258 invigor Terrible hard to thrash out. Concave 10 cylinder 600 speed bump in and cylinder filler plates up fan 950 rotors 1050 17 and 6 on sieves. 4 flaps open 3 mph 40 foot swath 55 to 60 crop 1.25 out back. Took one to m39 crop that’s a bit heavier and back to normal settings 4 mph and 1/3 bu out back. These are on 8700
What are your loss sensitivities at?

·
Super Moderator
3,473 Posts
Wow, that is tough threshing! It would be nightmare threshing for a rotary.
Lol, speed bump, otherwise technically known as an intensive threshing bar.

What is m39?

Doing wheat auto set 510/10 no intensive threshing bar but concave flap closed.
APS round bar closed and it suddenly struck me, I still have round bar changeable main concave in from doing peas, forgot all about that!

BTW Claas setting advisor app recommends the APS cover be closed in all crops I harvest except Peas.
This includes the wheat/barley/canola/flax I do.

No canola for me yet, I can tell it‘s going to be interesting but at least it’s good to know that POS 4D rotor cover problem of last year is completely fixed+++!

·
Registered
413 Posts
What are you guys doing different for canola this year? This is our first time using a Lexion 575R in canola (45 bu/ac at 2.5 mph with a 30' straight head) and the canola is smaller then usual this year. I loaded the LEX settings and we've tried to improve it from there but it's very chaffy in the tank and we are still throwing too much over the sieve. Return is running at 75% most of the time. I think I need to reset back to the LEX settings and try again.

I also have not yet read up on how to change the pre separator, intake auger or disawner settings. Also, I see everyone else's rotors run much faster.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wow, that is tough threshing! It would be nightmare threshing for a rotary.
Lol, speed bump, otherwise technically known as an intensive threshing bar.

What is m39?

Doing wheat auto set 510/10 no intensive threshing bar but concave flap closed.
APS round bar closed and it suddenly struck me, I still have round bar changeable main concave in from doing peas, forgot all about that!

BTW Claas setting advisor app recommends the APS cover be closed in all crops I harvest except Peas.
This includes the wheat/barley/canola/flax I do.

No canola for me yet, I can tell it‘s going to be interesting but at least it’s good to know that POS 4D rotor cover problem of last year is completely fixed+++!
M39 is a pioneer Hybred rr canola

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
M Elias we ran 14 on the top sieve and 4 on the bottom. You are to tight on the top and too open on the bottom. You have to open the top to let the seed down to the bottom sieve. We are running our air around 790-810 with the lighter seeds. If you still have loss on the sieves then you need to put in some rotor covers To decrease the chaff load. We had to add one set towards the end of the season because the plants were very dry. What type of canola are your harvesting - swathed, straight cut , or straight cut with roundup sprayed on it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts