The Combine Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
L233P, straight cut, not dessicated.

Won't it add more to my returns if I open the top and close the bottom?

I'm not even sure we got any rotor covers with it when we bought it. How about the fan pre separator flap setting? Does that get changed between wheat canola soys & corn?

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
I am not sure what you are referring to with the fan preseperator flap. I do not think my 590's have such adjustment.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I took the time to look through the manual today and there's an air saver baffle and there's another adjustment called the wind board. The wind board I believe was already in the correct setting, second hole from the front which stays the same for all the crops we do. The air saver baffle was set for soybeans/wheat/corn and today I adjusted it to the very front hole which would be for canola.

Beyond that I loaded the default settings again and I think it was losing a little less and putting a little less dockage into the tank and I could not seem to really improve it. I'm hearing from others that use John Deere's or Cases and they are having difficulty separating canola as well this year.

Default LEX canola settings
Cylinder 400
Fan 900
Feed house 420
Concave 18
Sieves 11/8
Air saver baffle 1
Disawning plates 0
Threading segment 0
Wind board 2
Rotor 500

·
Registered
946 Posts
Heres mine on straight cut 233p not desicated but dead ripe with 585r with jet stream which it sounds like you don't have. I also have electric rotor covers but theyre both open.

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
Sts do you think the rotor keystocks have helped decrease the chaff load in canola? Would you normally have covers in for the type of canola you are harvesting?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Sts do you think the rotor keystocks have helped decrease the chaff load in canola? Would you normally have covers in for the type of canola you are harvesting?
I really dont know southern, ive never ran swathed canola through this machine and the stuff im in rigth now is dry like swathed. I would normally run one cover closed in straightcut but this year i cant so far. But im only 80 acres into it so far.

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
Withe the rotor keystocks we did not use any rotor covers in canola except for the last 140 acres. It was very dry stuff and one cover towards the end was needed to balance out the rotor and shoe loss.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Would it makes sense that if the keystocks provided better separation in canola then a guy would be able to run with both covers closed vs one or none?

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
I don't know. With no rotor covers used until the end the rotor loss and sieve loss were fairly balanced. We had very little coming out the back or around 5 lb per acre when we weighed the seeds. When straight cutting we could not travel more than 2.5-3 mph because it would not feed well with our 40ft fd70 if we went faster.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I guess every combine might be different but rotor losses can happen in canola. This era of new canola varieties are harder to thresh with pod shatter resistance. Tighter clearances need to be used IMO. It is much easier for your rotor to pull straw than to push straw with a wider setting. As far as return having canola in it that tells me either the bottom sieve is not open enough to allow canola to fall through and utilize the air to seperate. By keeping a more closed bottom sieve you are restricting airflow. Try opening your bottom sieve another 1/8' or better and set wind for a cleaner sample. Then check your returns. Both my 9790 and my Gleaners have proven this to me. Dirty samples always cause people to close sieves when in reality in canola this is not always the solution.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
In dry canola it isn’t a threshing issue it’s a separating issue. I figure it’s some sort of static electricity issue where the seed wants to bond with all the dry matter and gets carried out with it. There is so much dust/powder/small particles the seed cannot get “away” from it.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts