The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Combining hard red wheat and it seems when the straw gets a bit tough after the sun goes down the rotor shows more loss. During the day there is nothing for loss showing on the monitor (7088). Does a guy need to speed up or slow down the rotor?

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
What sensitivity do you run at? I've almost never seen rotor loss sensors reporting absolutely nothing. I figure even bits of straw can hit those pads.

Maybe first try increasing rotor speed a bit and see what happens. If there's no change, or it gets worse, go back to where you started. Then try slowing the rotor. You might also have to tighten the concave a bit. But only do one adjustment a time. Oft times I mess with so many settings simultaneously I can't tell if anything I've done is helping!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Running the rotor and seives at 55 sensitivity. In wheat the rotor is at 970rpm, concaves at 2, top sieve at 7 and bottom at 8, fan at 1050rpm.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
That's pretty good if you show nothing on the loss sensor during the day! I don't think I've ever seen that on my machines before.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Also some varieties of wheat will get really hard to thrash when the sun goes down . Speeding up the rotor and closing the concaves should help . This year we are harvesting carberry wheat and are using a large wire on the second spot and there is no whitecaps surprisingly . Couldn't doo that with barrie .

·
Registered
78 Posts
just remember everything that hits the sensor is not seed
sometimes after dark the straw gets damp and hits the sensor harder.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Throw a screen down and you will will know but I set my sensors on wheat every year when I start so I know they work. Same problem when it gets tough wheat stays in the straw. They need hydraulic adjustable rotor vanes to speed material up or slow it down.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Louis said it's coming. They are still trying to develop a way to secure the vanes. JD's adjustable vanes have had issues apparently. There's a lot of force on these vanes, so they need to be locked down securely when they aren't being adjusted. When they finally figure it out, it will be a good thing I think.

·
Registered
150 Posts
torreim was wondering if you replaced your 7230 with s670? CAN THE JOHN DEERE concave be changed over to peas as easily as the case--also with your cases did you have any electrical issues or hydrostatic problems--have an 8010 with only around 1100 hrs and we had to replace the hydrostaic pump and motor last year-- dealer couldnt figure out problem-- they rented me an 8120--my 8010 was at shop until november-- my bill for pump,motor, combine rental was around 21000

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Well the veins were stuck on one position all harvest on one of the 690 deeres this year, it seams there is a lot of strain on veins and not so easy to make them a quick adjustable from the cab

But yes it sure would be handy to change over day

1 - 13 of 13 Posts