The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had trouble solving rotor loss this fall in corn. This is on a 6088 with 8 row head. I've tried concave from 15-35, rotor speed from 250-450, ground speed from 3-5 mph. Rotor is set up with four straight bars over front half of grates and two straight bars plus four spike tooth rasp bars over back half of grates. Veins are fully retarded. Using round bar concaves and keystock grates. Corn is 25-35% and mostly 140-180 bushel although I have done some poorer corn that also gave trouble. Any ideas?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know a lot of people recommend round bar modules and having tried them as well I seem to have better luch controlling rotor loss with small wire modules with every other wire removed in the #2 modules. I don't think I was getting enough corn shelled in the front half of the rotor with round bar and so it did a lot of threshing in the back half. The round bars did not plug with leaves in wetter conditions but with every other wire removed It isn't too much of an issue. Maybe give it a try. It just seems that this year is more challenging setting the machines than other years! Have a safe harvest!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Goalie: try a standard large wire in position three instead of the round bar, should help as long as it does not plug. If it does you may have to pull every other wire, round bars allow material to move through machine too fast in these conditions right now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I run all small wire with every second wire removed, vanes in full retard, all spikes (full rice) slotted grates and rotor at 600. Have done 45 to 80 ton per hour with near perfect sample and very little loss. I think it must be flicking the grain out instead of rubbing it out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Farmboy, what is the moisture of the corn? This corn was froze prematurely and did not finish properly. The cobs are soft and punky in the middle. If I ran the rotor at 600 it would smash the kernals. We are already running dockage of 2-3%.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi, my name is Don Estes, The Disrupter guy. I'm back after trying retirement as a consultant for CM Welding Inc. Frankfort Indiana. I have a lot of customers using my system and have had excellent results. Call me sometime and maybe I can help. (765)891-1722. web page (www.cmweldinginc.com/)

·
Registered
423 Posts
i know what you are dealing with we are from ont. also we must be more south are corn never froze but we never had a problem with are first 3 combines in corn and this year it was heck we never did get a perfect sample just put up with it .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts