The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 50 to 60bu spring wheat with veins in middle position, this year found higher rotor loss than ever before, grain was lighter than usual and burnt into heads, with lots of straw....found no luck with different modules including extra fine, and cover plates, different rotor speeds or concave clearance...

Engine load never seamed to be much higher than 60 percent and I would see rotor losses on monitor go into yellow and stay there, laid a catch pan behind rotor to verify excess loss..sieve loss stayed in line.

Somewhat puzzled on what the next step to try or accept lower ground speed, I decided to change rotor veins as final step

I have never changed veins on any axial flow I have had in last 14 years, but thought it could not hurt by slowing material down and giving it 1.5 turns more of wrap to help separate material and increase speed

I was in for a shock today after doing the changes, straw could of been a bit tougher than yesterday, but engine load jumped from 60 to 90+percent instantly, also increased speed 1mph and had less loses from rotor

Think now the extra wrap gave the time it needed to separate better than before, so far happy with the slow speed of the veins, but it defiantly takes more power

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
If anyone has ever left a van bolt even slightly looser than needed and ran tough material thru, you'd then know the challenge faced with making transport vane adjustment automatic or powered.

In tough conditions, the rotor tries to screw forward like a bolt thread. The transport vanes are equally responsible for this and a lot of the hp applied to the rotor will be applied to the transport vanes. A slightly loose bolt will allow the vane to slip and bend. The vane thickness and material used has been getting heavier as hp increases. Used to be even a 1680 could fold over and flatten a transport vane in tough stem crops.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Any time I give advice on how to set an Axial-Flow, I ask what position the vanes are in. Nearly every time, the answer is something like "I've never adjusted them." It's a dirty, uncomfortable job, but almost always makes a difference in the way the machine performs. It takes some experimenting, but a lot of problems can be rectified by making an adjustment. For example, if I'm cutting something with a lot of green weeds in it, I'll put the vanes in the Fast position; it kicks the weeds through quicker with less rumbling and won't pull the rotor speed down as much.

And yeah, crank those bolts down tight. We've got two broken vanes that need to be dealt with before fall harvest.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as time it took to change the vein position, it was relatively quick with compressed air and a ratchet wrench, maybe a half hr job with a break and yes I will be putting back to fast for canola...

Added the steinbauer to the 12.9l to get back some hp.... Weather Conditions look to be real tough for next week...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Never changed the veins on ours but its set for doing mostly corn, which on a 1460 means veins are in slow position to prevent rotor loss. I can tell they have been changed a few times by the marks left by the nuts on the outside of the cage though.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Tried messing with vanes two years ago with no effect whatsoever on losses. But yes this year is certainly different. I expect straw to be tough for the next few weeks. I may play with the vanes this year. Though with 100 bu winter wheat, I doubt I have any horsepower to spare!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Called dealer before doing the vein position, he recommended only doing rear 4 vanes behind second module for a total of 12 bolts, and 8 of the bolts are real quick, not a ugly job by no means... Need a 16mm wrench and a 16mm socket and strong arm

For me it was a instant drop on loss monitor and no other changes I had did to that point had remotely compared to it

S690 fighting the same problem with a bad sample and loss, we will be doing similar changes soon

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
By putting in a set of hard thresh concaves for wheat, would you not have the same effect as a rotor cage vane change??
Not really. The vane position changes how many times the grain goes around the threshing concaves. Hard thresh has more threshing points but it your putting it through too fast the hard thresh can't solve that problem.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We had another good day of threshing before rain hampered us once again, and so far impressed with sample and loss since doing the change, it's sample looks as clean as extra fine wire modules produce and much less rotor loss, pushing speeds to 5mph now with 45 foot head... If anything sieve loss is the creeper now

On the downside, I have seen my diesel fuel usage jump to over 20gph from mid teens, also found that dropping the knives into chopper takes additional hp, but maverick does a great job spreading most of the 45'

Steinbauer performance chip brings combine to life for sure, it jumped boost by 5lbs, and powers threw tough cutting logged green straw with out rpm loss to rotor or cleaning system, also contributing to higher loses

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
We had another good day of threshing before rain hampered us once again, and so far impressed with sample and loss since doing the change, it's sample looks as clean as extra fine wire modules produce and much less rotor loss, pushing speeds to 5mph now with 45 foot head... If anything sieve loss is the creeper now

On the downside, I have seen my diesel fuel usage jump to over 20gph from mid teens, also found that dropping the knives into chopper takes additional hp, but maverick does a great job spreading most of the 45'

Steinbauer performance chip brings combine to life for sure, it jumped boost by 5lbs, and powers threw tough cutting logged green straw with out rpm loss to rotor or cleaning system, also contributing to higher loses
Thanks for the update and the honesty in the last paragraph. I hope the weather clears for you soon. We have been blessed with very good harvest weather here in western oregon. All but a few acres of late spring grain and some small seeds are done. Then some that have cannery corn will have harvest up to october 1.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well took family down to montana for a get away trip from the rain, ran into the pro harvest guys and discussed a few things

Had asked them what they were doing for the hard thresh spring wheat this year, there reply was they had no issues on winter wheat but as they started on spring wheat in northern MT the custom cutters had similar problems and found rotor losses higher than normal, then went on to tell me that after doing numerous changes only help was the slow speed vane position, said they now are also able to open concave to 3mm with the changes. . But found more hp needed as well in vane slow speed... Also made a good point in it might be a good setting for wheat every year with the bigger hp

Also mentioned that the 12.9l loves the steinbauer and a good chunk of the cutters run them for fuel savings more than anything, also mentioned that the 14 combines had ran exceptionally well this year, with very few problems

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
I was cutting hard thrashing grain as I was getting a sprinkle or three every day except maybe 2 while cutting spring wheat. Never have tried the vane setttings. What I did find is to run the combine at about 2mph and I had almost no loose in any conditions the wheat was binable. Then slowly speed up one bit at a time while doing small adjustments. I would finally find that sweet spot and go hard. Offten had 100% load and only 850bushel/hr flow, tough straw and burnt up crop. This was with 7230 and 45ft header. Still have about 1/2 my harvest left plus my dad's. It will be a while before this rain drys out enough. Another thing, I would watch the yield monitor more than loose while setting the combine. Get a good idea of yield and keep adjusting. I always heard these combines won't run slow. This one did great. I've been cutting Lillian with usually 6-7 concave setting and 1000-1150rpm, seen no cracking. Open the sieves up a fair amount and fan was only at 850-950rpm. It was 20-40 bushel/acre. Machinerly link combine with small wire concaves. Couldn't tell you details other than that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.