The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A year ago I had a shop replace the rotor covers on my TR86. They were getting very thin, also replaced the divider plate. The rotors looked good as well as the bars, but I asked them to balance the rotors just to be safe. Apparently they didn't. When I got it back at 750 rpm and up it vibrates. Didn't vibrate before having them out.
Just got it home tonight from the same shop that replaced bearings in the separator clutch. Asked them what they found wrong with rotors ,and was told the bolts were loose on one of the front rotor bearings. I said that's probably a result of the rotor vibration, not the cause. Sure enough, still does it. Gotta hate it when you ask for something to be fixed and it gets ignored. I used to do some oats with this machine, and never had a vibration at 1300!
Talked to a guy I used to work with at the dealership who did most of the combine work. He said to make sure the rotors are timed correctly. Would having them a tooth or 2 off make a vibration? Or is it even possible to do this without causing interference between them?
Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Rotors are not overlapping on any of the TR86's so having the timing off should not make a difference for vibration while running the machine empty in the yard. Timing would make a difference for feeding and operating in the field. As the machine ran smoothly before being worked on and vibrated afterwards, I would spend some time cleaning out all the crop residue underneath all of the rotor bar mounts. This can build up after time and also can be dislodged, especially with rotor removal, affecting rotor balance. Another thing to check would be the rotor couplers and chain shields at the back of the rotor to make sure they are all installed correctly.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
The only TR machine that needed timing was the TR 95.
Absolutely clean the rasp bar mounts. When we had those rotors out of the machine in the shop we would fill those hollow mounts with spray foam in a can and trim excess with a knife then balance.
Helps to keep the problem from recurring.
You can also check the inlet auger flighting make sure all the bolt on saw tooth things are in place. Sometimes they have been known to break due to a small rock and be missing or partly missing.
Particularly on the rotor that the bearing mount loosened up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The only TR machine that needed timing was the TR 95.
Absolutely clean the rasp bar mounts. When we had those rotors out of the machine in the shop we would fill those hollow mounts with spray foam in a can and trim excess with a knife then balance.
Helps to keep the problem from recurring.
You can also check the inlet auger flighting make sure all the bolt on saw tooth things are in place. Sometimes they have been known to break due to a small rock and be missing or partly missing.
Particularly on the rotor that the bearing mount loosened up.
All the TR combines need to be timed to run smoothly in crop. Early TR96 also had the overlapping front flighting like the TR95 and absolutely need to be timed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts