The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course, it is Labor day weekend. I have had some issues getting the rotor to engage. Shut off and turn on combine and it starts working. This morning it took a good 1/2 hr of doing this while checking stuff. It just worked. Then it just quit like a flip of a switch. Trun off seperator error came on display and I had no rotor speed. It wouldn't engage again. No starnge noises or vibrations from what it was doing. Oil looks good on the dipstick for the PTO.

It has no codes or errors with rotor. I removed the rotor engage and brake solenoids. (ETR and RTF valves) Visual on the harness around the PTO area, looks good. Rotor rpm seems to read good. I can spin it by hand. pto to rotor transmission driveshaft turns when rotor turns and in gear. So, not the coupler or transmission that I can see in anyway. ETF valve solenoid will not get current or PWM % in diagnostics. It does show voltage in diagnostics when I engage the separator. Been by myself so I can't backprobe the solenoid to check voltage. Coils both at 7.9 ohms. Valves visually look ok, were not overtight in the bores, the coil nuts were not overtight. I have seen that cause sticky valves.
With no current and or PWN signal to the ETF valve to engage the rotor it has me confused. Next is to check signals at the CCM3 controler and ohm the wires between CCM3 and coils.

Any other suggestions?
Oh, when I do engage separator everything else engages, just not the rotor. Chopper, sieves, everything else sounds like it is turning.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did, it will not calibrate. Don't remember what the code was. Heading out in a bit to check it closer.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
One of my machines does that sometimes when I'm trying to shift rotor gears (not sure why that would trigger it). As much as it pains me, rebooting the combine seems to do the trick so far.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went back out. Did more reading in my service and training manuals. Seems like I need EST from dealer to see if it is still setup correct first. Almost like it doesn't know it has CVT. Or the CCM3 is bad, I hope not. Nothing seems to respond correct. That usually means controller from my experience. I got it to turn on deslug once, won't even do that again.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,848 Posts
Two Dumb questions but is the rotor brake on?
They won’t engage if it’s free wheeling
And have you tried another gear in the rotor box? You may have broke 3rd or a selector or something

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
tried another gear, same. driveshaft does free spin in N.

Tried to calibrate a few times. I got a couple codes different times. Calibration value is out range. Abort code: 67 and CVT rotor sensor signal Abort code: 68. I swapped feeder house speed sensor with rotor transmission speed sensor, nothing.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Of course all the dealers are busy on "their" combines. Can I buy the EST software and comm adapter stuff? I think I'll call a dealer and check.

Called, talked with parts and service guys. They can not sell me the EST software and hardware. That figures.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Started working, no idea why. Checked ground and voltage at RTF valve on CVT control valve . 7.5V and 4-5ohm on ground. Had to go into diagnostics with engine off and turn it on manually. Now it is on when I start the combine. Fairly sure it wasn’t before. Deslug also works now. Deslug uses the RTF valve. I still think I have a controller issue. Doing a few more tests. No idea what RTF solenoid voltage should be. And it will calibrate CVT rotor now. Hmmm, Better check RTF voltage at the CCM3, see if there is a voltage drop.
90% sure I somehow got the CCM3 controller to reset something back to how it should be. I have had controllers do weird things and a reprogram fixes the problem. Or I have to replace them with new. Tough to diagnose because you have to check everything else first.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Of course, it is Labor day weekend. I have had some issues getting the rotor to engage. Shut off and turn on combine and it starts working. This morning it took a good 1/2 hr of doing this while checking stuff. It just worked. Then it just quit like a flip of a switch. Trun off seperator error came on display and I had no rotor speed. It wouldn't engage again. No starnge noises or vibrations from what it was doing. Oil looks good on the dipstick for the PTO.

It has no codes or errors with rotor. I removed the rotor engage and brake solenoids. (ETR and RTF valves) Visual on the harness around the PTO area, looks good. Rotor rpm seems to read good. I can spin it by hand. pto to rotor transmission driveshaft turns when rotor turns and in gear. So, not the coupler or transmission that I can see in anyway. ETF valve solenoid will not get current or PWM % in diagnostics. It does show voltage in diagnostics when I engage the separator. Been by myself so I can't backprobe the solenoid to check voltage. Coils both at 7.9 ohms. Valves visually look ok, were not overtight in the bores, the coil nuts were not overtight. I have seen that cause sticky valves.
With no current and or PWN signal to the ETF valve to engage the rotor it has me confused. Next is to check signals at the CCM3 controler and ohm the wires between CCM3 and coils.

Any other suggestions?
Oh, when I do engage separator everything else engages, just not the rotor. Chopper, sieves, everything else sounds like it is turning.
Frustrating as heck I know, same thing happened here on a 7120,,,We finally ran all new wiring for both the ETR and RTF valves,,no trouble since then,,,wiring in that big fat loom on side of combine probably has a broken wire or a rub mark from the loom holders,,,,same thing happens on 4430 Patriot Sprayers,,horribly frustrating,,,,other alternative is to have an entire new harness made by yourself or AG EXPRESS,,,,OR pay Torgerson’s a ransom for a new harness....not

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Frustrating as heck I know, same thing happened here on a 7120,,,We finally ran all new wiring for both the ETR and RTF valves,,no trouble since then,,,wiring in that big fat loom on side of combine probably has a broken wire or a rub mark from the loom holders,,,,same thing happens on 4430 Patriot Sprayers,,horribly frustrating,,,,other alternative is to have an entire new harness made by yourself or AG EXPRESS,,,,OR pay Torgerson’s a ransom for a new harness....not
Surprisingly, not the harness. It is a controller issue. It seems to be working with simply reprogramming/updating the controller. Hope I don't have to replace it. I could be wrong, I was wrong once. Thought I was wrong, I wasn't ;) Haha.

Think I heard every issue there has been with rotor not engaging while figuring this one out. Never heard this problem. Glad it was me diagnosing it. I can imagine the amount of parts that could have been thrown at it with a few days of diagnosing. I have seen components like engines replaced because of a bad controller. They are hard to diagnose. They rarely go bad. I have only replaced maybe 6 in my life.

I did or will replace a few things just in case. Learned plenty about that system getting it fixed.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,848 Posts
Well that’s 6 controllers too many
How much are these things?

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No idea what the one on the 8120 cost. I was a full time heavy equipment mechanic from 2000 until 2011. Got a BS in Diesel tech from 1996-2000. I have replaced them in all sorts of things. Never a combine, yet. Of course I still work my own stuff. They have usually cost from $800-$1200 for the few I remember.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Believe the ccm’s are around $2200, I’ve only seen one fail. When that one went bad it took several other systems down with it so it wasn’t too bad to diagnose. All three ccm’s are the same just programmed differently so you can switch like one and three and if the bad spot in the one failed but is not used in the other position it will work.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Glad it was me diagnosing it. I can imagine the amount of parts that could have been thrown at it with a few days of diagnosing. I have seen components like engines replaced because of a bad controller. They are hard to diagnose. They rarely go bad. I have only replaced maybe 6 in my life.
BIL replaced the rotor clutch pack with the same symptoms as you, turned out to be a bad harness and ten days lost.
Poor diagnostics skills, clean oil should have been a give away they were on the wrong path.

Reactions: lanwickum

·
Registered
157 Posts
BIL replaced the rotor clutch pack with the same symptoms as you, turned out to be a bad harness and ten days lost.
Poor diagnostics skills, clean oil should have been a give away they were on the wrong path.
We went through same issues and time lost here on that 7120 but not quite to that extent..
Replaced solenoids/valves..ohmed out entire harness,,,,of course didn’t see anything wrong with wires while stopped and standing still......we wasted 3+ days ourselves farting around on it...we discussed running new wires for the two ssolenoids,,,called Tech in instead,,,he farted around for a day on it...finally after pow wowing on it we all decided wires were the answer...and it was....

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Diagnosing is a serious pain and seems to get no where. I enjoy it. It is constant learning, lots of reading to understand the system. By the time I am done I could likely diagnose anther rotor no start in hours not days no matter the problem. Maybe even minutes. That is what makes those experts so valuable. When they can walk up to a machine and fix it or tune it in less than hour. Get really good at something that is needed. You can make hundreds per hour. Thousands per day. Simply because you are very capable and gets the root problem fixed. Wished they paid good techs lots more money than they do. They often quit and do something else after a while so they can make a living. Maybe open a new field for them. Requirements are tough to keep. less than 0.2% redos. Extensive knowledge and specialized. Maybe service a group of dealers. Get paid $50-100 per hour or $200K or more per year. Be on the level of a doctor or good engineer. We would have better techs all around to keep things running. I would pay $200/hr to get a guy like that to show up. Better than the first year tech that wrecks more than they repair.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts