The Combine Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Diagnosing is a serious pain and seems to get no where. I enjoy it. It is constant learning, lots of reading to understand the system. By the time I am done I could likely diagnose anther rotor no start in hours not days no matter the problem. Maybe even minutes. That is what makes those experts so valuable. When they can walk up to a machine and fix it or tune it in less than hour. Get really good at something that is needed. You can make hundreds per hour. Thousands per day. Simply because you are very capable and gets the root problem fixed. Wished they paid good techs lots more money than they do. They often quit and do something else after a while so they can make a living. Maybe open a new field for them. Requirements are tough to keep. less than 0.2% redos. Extensive knowledge and specialized. Maybe service a group of dealers. Get paid $50-100 per hour or $200K or more per year. Be on the level of a doctor or good engineer. We would have better techs all around to keep things running. I would pay $200/hr to get a guy like that to show up. Better than the first year tech that wrecks more than they repair.
I agree 100 pct....kind of a conundrum though...young techs need experience ...I just hate being the guy to foot the bill!!!

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I agree 100 pct....kind of a conundrum though...young techs need experience ...I just hate being the guy to foot the bill!!!
There can be more than 1 shop rate for techs. There once was apprenticeship programs. Maybe just not send out the newest guy because it is harvest and that is all that is available. At least not without some warning. Need more shop thoughts, by Lance? haha

21 - 22 of 22 Posts