The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a rotor question for those of you with more experience than I have. For wheat, barley, peas, and possible blue grass what would be the best all around rotor to run? We do not cut corn. The machine is a 1470 that has the 1600 series cage in it. Planning on putting a Kile kit in it this winter and present rotor needs balanced. Could have a specialty rotor if I want to pull out of another machine. Bars on both rotors seem to have about same amount of wear. Running Lowen concaves 2 small wire one large for wheat. All large wire for barley and peas. Have been happy with the samples. Blue grass will be a new crop. Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions in advance.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Where are you? If in the pnw, the weather usually is fine for the standard rotor and I understand it is the better choice for the peas. ? So with the 1600 cage, you'll do great with the standard rotor and in the grass. Get ya a set of maize bars for the seperator if you dont allready have'm, and at least enough cover plates for the front concave. The Kile front is a super tool. For the grass, get the sharpened wear blades and make sure you have a good square kidney edge to set them against and you'll be set.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Case IH. You might find them at Abilene Machine or any other A&I source. They are the "toothed" version, and are not reversable. Your machine should eat grass like crazy. Make sure you have the air blocked off at the rear of the seives so the air is forced up through them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the information. Located on the Camas Prairie area of Idaho. Near Lewiston. Ron Kile had suggested going with the sharpen Kile blades so that is what I got. The maize bars that you mentioned, who handles them?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally had a chance to visit with the previous owner of the 1470 machine I can get the rotor out of. Turns out it is a rice rotor. Now I am not sure what that is doing in a wheat machine here in the PNW but that is what it is. In its glory days this was an experimental machine that the factory played with so I guess it is possible that it might have a little bit of anything on it. It is a very low serial number machine but has been updated to electric over hyd controls. All sorts of interesting things to be found on it. So if anyone is needing a rice rotor a trade might be possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts