The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 560 running a 1050 35' maxflex head. Read thread below about unthreshed pods in sample. My settings are: 9-14 on concaves, if I go wider, seems a start getiing a lot of splits, go figure, cylinder avg 550 down to 480, rotor 100rpm above cylinder, upper seive 14, lower 9, fan 1300rpm. I have round bar main concaves and the regular soybean aps grates. My question is anybody running the round bar for aps grates in beans? How do you like them? Are you able to run in greener beans and able o get them out? My splits run anywhere from 9% to 14% on avg, but have seen 20%. This seemed to be more vareity related than anything else though. Think I will get the round bar aps for corn next year, but thinking running them in beans also to fine tune the machine more. Appreciate all opinions. Thanks guy's.
By the way, love my machine and maxflex head.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
You referring to soybean APS grates...as in keystock with larger slotted holes?

I use them in soybeans, have used them in corn as well. I have used roundbar APS also in corn and beans. Often don't see much difference.

Minimum splits is important to me, we grow seed beans. This year has been pretty easy for our 740, for whatever reason. 10% would be alot and can be frustrating. I would reduce cylinder to 380. It won't like it, but in the heat of the day it can easily work if you feed it evenly and the plants aren't too rank. Make sure you aren't returning too many soybeans=more splits.

I dont know what screens you have but try running chaffer at about 10, sieve at about 4 or 5...just so they don't go to the return going up hills. Lower fan to 1000-1100, especially if lower test weight.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seedcleaner, yes I have the aps grates with the key stock. I am not getting any loss over chaffers, so might shut those down a bit. When I drop below 480- 450, she gets to rubbling pretty good. Makes me nervous (plugging). I can live with they way its performing now, just looking to tweek it here and there. Thanks for info and appreciate your thoughts on this forum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you are getting away with 550 rpm in high, you wont slug it at 440 in low range.

We were slugging the crap out of ours, once we went to wide open in low on the cylinder all problems went away. You get a lot better feel for how hard you're feeding the machine when its in low. Also get a lot more available torque transfer when in low to feed those tough spots through

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
It can and will slug in low...definately possible. And when it does, there is no super low to try, lol.

I agree the variable pulleys dont wor as well at extreme lower ends. Soybeans sure red a middle gear imo.

I took in a wad of beans the other day camouflaging a pile of moist dirt that drug up. Didn't make a single sound, just locked the APS up in a hurry. Cleaned rock trap out, reversed a pulley by hand, got some of it out of trap and good to go.

I have been running 12-17mm on concave. To a point, tighter concave let's the cylinder grab the material to feed it through.

Been talking with Trimpe. He cuts every other tread off of the cylinder bars. Says it makes it bite and grab the material to feed it around the concave. Pulls easier, less cylinder bar slipping on crop, spinning on the grain causing cracks, less slugs. Makes sense. Factory bars are like slick race car tires when you rub your hand over them. Cutting bars off turn them into mud tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.