The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to put new concaves in my 1688. I will be thrashing corn and edible beans with these concaves. Our corn usually runs about 180-200bu. (wet) at 24% moisture. I've never had any problem with concaves plugging in corn, but have heard of it, mostly on this forum. Are they the same concave only rounded on top of the cross bars? Would they last as long as a standard concave with square edges? I wonder if they would be more gentle on Navy beans? My local dealer recommends the large wire concave with every other wire pulled and the holes welded shut so stuff doesn't stick in them. That is ideal for drybeans. I've always just run the large wire with all wires in. Have I been missing some performance? Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Round bar concaves work excellent in corn. Takes less power by far and increases separating capacity. Much easier on the ears coming in. With out beating the husks and cobs up as much there is less trash over the sieves. Much easier to get whole cobs out the back. I do not know any thing about your other crops but in corn we are very happy with the round bars.

·
Registered
196 Posts
We like our round bar concaves in our pinto beans. They are gentle on the beans and they handle rocks well too. I don't have any experience with the round bar in corn but am going to try it in corn this year.

·
Registered
105 Posts
They worked great in corn. They really got the rotor loss down to unmeasurable levels. I had one field that went almost 230 bpa and the 2388 with these concaves had no problems. The rotor seemed to use less power even with an 8 row head.

The grain sample was nearly perfect and very little cob breakage.
I used the round bar concaves that Case sells. Not cheap but if your growing big acres of high yielding corn there the best concaves that I have used. These things can make anyone a combine calibration hero. Several of my critical and picky neighbors stopped by and checked out what kind of job I was doing.

They all concluded "you sure don't leave much"

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
How do round bar concaves compare to helical concaves. I combine corn beans and wheat. My large wire concaves are rounded so I have been using the small wire with every other wire pulled and cover plates when needed. Thanks. Eddie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts