The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed row cleaners like a notill corn planter uses on their single disk drills, like the bourgault 3710? Could a simple row cleaner be installed in front of the seed disk to eliminate all the hair pinning problems the bourgault 3710 has? I know what your thinking, more moving parts under an already overly complex maintenance nightmare. And row cleaners will make it tighter yet between the front row and back row. It's really tight in there now when laying under drill working on it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
You can get Yetter row cleaners for the Deere drills.
I have tried 1 yetter and 1 Ariks wheel, in my experience only useful on 10" spacings or wider. Works ok in loose, broken straw/chaff, in standing stubble they do nothing.

Russ

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I think I gave Bruce Avison all my K hart residue managers or else you could have them Don. But they wouldn't be worth the fuel you spent getting them (even if I delivered).

The back row of managers would bury the front row so you would have cold rows and warm rows so really weird crop growth. Trying to make them throw less makes them less aggressive and useless as well.

I would say that unless you are up to 15 inch spacing it is probably a waste of time. There's just no place to put all that residue on a standard drill.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ran aricks wheels on 15in spacing 1890 and they worked well, wouldn't imagine 10in would be a problem. Probably threw residue 7-8in at 12kmh, although they can be set much more or less aggressive. Had bearing issues when moving a lot of dirt. Pea stubbles were ok until it got wet, although when wet aricks wheels were least of our problems with the 1890.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Useless under about 10 inches.

All the residue managers I have seen and tried, fluff up the straw.
To fit say 10 t of straw on an 8 inch inter row space you would have to gather it in. And jam it into a tight pile.

There is a thought for someone keen on playing with new ideas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.