The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've cut probably 1700 acres of SRW wheat over two seasons with the RPRs. I bought a set of the RPR concaves originally to get a more aggressive thresh in tough soybeans, but I have been using them in the summer for wheat harvest as well. I had been happy with the small wire concaves, but I thought that if I could avoid having to change them all the time then why not? After using them a few months we also purchased a set to put in our other machine, an S680. Mine is an S670.

I like the results I've had with them in beans and corn, so I am satisfied with the purchase, but in wheat I believe next year I am going back to using the factor small-wire concaves, possibly with every other wire removed in the rear concave, but for reasons I'll explain I think they're a better fit for a machine with a rethrasher.

We just finished our wheat harvest and I actually had more grain loss this year than I ever have. With our humid climate we have a narrow window for grain quality, so we harvest our wheat as soon as we can run it through the machine, often beginning at 25% or higher. We bale all of our straw and cut on the ground in flex to get it all. Our wheat also averaged over 100 bpa this year, with over 4 ton/acre straw yields. There is a lot of material being run through our combines during wheat harvest. There are times I use almost 2 gallons per acre of fuel. It takes that much power.

I was deviling myself all harvest with rotor loss caused by running too many tailings through the combine, and almost none of the tailing was material that had to be rethreshed. It was all either grain or chaff off of the head. I tried every adjustment I could make and could not reduce rotor loss while maintaining a clean sample. The wide spacing of the concave was just allowing too much chaff to fall through which was overloading the sieves, which in turn funneled all of that material right into the tailings where it was reinserted into the rotor and would not separate out the 2nd time. The black plastic chopper vents at the rear of the machine looked like a cartoon bull snorting steam out of his nostrils- there was that much chaff blowing out of them.

The 680 did noticeably better, because obviously his tailings was not getting reinserted into the rotor and instead spread it out over his sieves. I think even a 9770 would have done better, because with them the tailings returns to the 2nd concave instead of the rear one on an S-series, so a 70 would give the grain more time and space to separate out.

If I tried lowering separator speed or opening up my concaves to reduce overthreshing and tailings I often would then have problems with wheat not threshing off of the head. The same could be said of adding or removing concave cover bands. The wider spacing of an RPR concave seems to require tighter clearances in wheat, I'm guessing because the outside of the crop mat isn't held up to be rubbed while in between bars.

Like I said, I used them in wheat last year and thought they were ok. I did fight setting the machine last year in drier wheat conditions as well, but not as bad as this year. If you're running in substantially lower-yielding wheat and running less material though they may do fine. I think a lot of the problem this year was that the heavy volume of straw being windrowed instead of chopped was blocking proper airflow over the sieves and choking them off. But I bought the RPRs to use in the fall, and I like them in the fall, and I never complained about the factory small wire concaves in wheat prior to this experiment so I think I'm just going to go back to swapping them out between seasons again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I put a set of RPR s in my 680 this harvest and straight away big increase in capacity in all crops wheat barley brassicas ryegrass white clover flax peas radish. Our wheat is irrigated and normally yields around 12 to 14+ tonnes/ha with cool damp and high moisture conditions at harvest. These concaves gave me an increase in capacity of around 15+ tonnes an hour good going in wheat 55 to 60 tonnes an hour average with less losses than the JD concaves. We now run the rotor down at 750rpm and concaves at 18 to 24 top sieve at 18 bottom at 9 fan 1300rpm and just keep the machine full running power limited at 600hp. I was very disappointed with the capacity of the machine with the JD concaves in now with the RPRs very happy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
New settings guide

They have released a new settings guide for the RPR system, estesperformanceconcaves.com/help

I was at AgPhd Field Day and the sample from the wheat they cut at the field day was **** near perfect, no cracked grain, straw or whitecaps in the tank. They seem to have figured out settings that work really well in wheat.

As for the other crops, nothing beats the RPR system.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I am a non believer of after market concaves, mostly because it's little welding shops punching out a product with no actual facts, tests, or Engineering. Just guys trying to make an easy dollar. Some of them are claiming huge capacity gains from oem when the concaves are just about identical to oem.
I view them as the cold air intakes of the farming industry, where an 18 yr old kid goes and buys a new air intake pipe with a relocated air filter expecting to get a pie in the sky 15hp increase on a Honda Civic as the box claims. I view these aftermarket concaves as no different. The only real way is to put up factual side by side comparison beside a stock unit in the same field the same time...
and if, huge if, they actually performed better, I am 105% certain that Deere would be buying the rights to those concaves for millions, but we have yet to see it.
I am also 105% certain that Deere has even purchased and tested these aftermarket concaves themselves, to determine if there is any possibility that these welding shops have come up with a product that can out perform the concaves designed by the engineering teams at Deere.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well I have run Deere concaves and RPR concaves in my 680 in the same field and no comparison. The RPRs thrash better / cleaner sample higher capacity up to 15 tonnes an hour in wheat and are built a lot stronger than JD concaves. I won't be using JD concaves anymore

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I have run Deere concaves and RPR concaves in my 680 in the same field and no comparison. The RPRs thrash better / cleaner sample higher capacity up to 15 tonnes an hour in wheat and are built a lot stronger than JD concaves. I won't be using JD concaves anymore
I complete agree. RPR concaves beat stock concaves hands down, there's no comparison.

Yes, I'm sure John Deere knows about them. But they are patented so as much as Deere would like to copy their design and engineering, they can't.

·
Registered
742 Posts
So what are the actual differences other then they are half sizes.. they look exactly the same as oem other then that, or am I missing something?
And how did you compare them? Bought a new set for one machine and compared them to your old worn out oem'?
I had a set of sunnybrook's in a s690, chucked them in the garbage after 150 hrs. Back to oem again

·
Registered
127 Posts
Two years ago you were bashing our enclosed cylinder for the TX/CX New Holland making the same claim that you threw it away, now our concaves for the Deere (patents WERE assigned to a US Manufacturer BTW). Sorry we keep selling you junk, maybe you should quit buying ?

JD tested and marketed the enclosed cylinder as their own for 15 years. To my knowledge, there were zero returned units in that time frame.

The only difference with our deere rotary concaves is they are half width?? c'mon...... see attached image

Don Estes (RPR) has worked with combines longer than I've been around (40 years plus) and has a solid reputation.

Attachments

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,662 Posts
yes see attached. extra 2" of lip in front
Thanks. That's a very interesting setup. Seems like a fair amount of field testing has been done to come up with that unique configuration.

Is that Max thrash up the front?
If so, does that cause any problems in an easy thrashing crop?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Two years ago you were bashing our enclosed cylinder for the TX/CX New Holland making the same claim that you threw it away, now our concaves for the Deere (patents WERE assigned to a US Manufacturer BTW). Sorry we keep selling you junk, maybe you should quit buying ?

JD tested and marketed the enclosed cylinder as their own for 15 years. To my knowledge, there were zero returned units in that time frame.

The only difference with our deere rotary concaves is they are half width?? c'mon...... see attached image

Don Estes (RPR) has worked with combines longer than I've been around (40 years plus) and has a solid reputation.
So does this setup work in mostly all small grains like peas, canola, wheat , lentils, and chickpeas without having to change concaves. What setup would you use for edilble beans and alfalfa.

·
Registered
282 Posts
opps ! was meaning to post the pic that went with the reply i quote from in above post Cant figure out how to do it.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
What is this world coming too? I sometimes change my concaves several times in a season, I'm not as young as I once was and a couple sets of mine I swear weigh a ton but is it really that big of a deal that guys have to have a one size fits all?

For my crops a one size fits all is a pipe dream, would I try something like the SB system? Maybe but I think I would have to pull them out and change box configurations so I would still be in the same boat but it would be much lighter. I don't think they even make them for my old girls though.

I have 3 sets of concaves for two of my machines and 3 sets of grates for all three.

Don't take a lot of dockage or losses to cover my time to get things right.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
So I bought 1 set of the "all crop" sunnybrooks for 1 of my S680's. Have ran it for 2 days in durum and so far so good. Other combines have all JD small wire with 3 fillers in front concave. Running the same settings on both machines and I would say very similar results.
Will be trying chickpeas in a week or so. That was my main reason, don't want to have to switch concaves between crops, and don't want to lose capacity.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks. That's a very interesting setup. Seems like a fair amount of field testing has been done to come up with that unique configuration.

Is that Max thrash up the front?
If so, does that cause any problems in an easy thrashing crop?
For this configuration, zero field testing. The set-up was requested by several dealerships who's service managers had been doing this for a few years. One Dealership (multi-store) has been selling all new combines equipped similarly. In truth, that's where most advances in harvesting originate, from end users.
Very little for complaints about grain damage from 1/2 rows of max in front.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
For this configuration, zero field testing. The set-up was requested by several dealerships who's service managers had been doing this for a few years. One Dealership (multi-store) has been selling all new combines equipped similarly. In truth, that's where most advances in harvesting originate, from end users.
Very little for complaints about grain damage from 1/2 rows of max in front.

In a durum crop, would you say settings would be similar to stock concaves ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts