The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking a RR canola variety for next year after growing Invigor forever. See quite a few negative reviews for Truflex in 2019. Guys have any luck with it this year? Like the idea of it... West central AB so looking shorter maturity and club root resistance. I swath so not as worried about pod shatter although have only grow P varieties last few years and works very well. Swath later and pods stay closed in strong winds and lite hail from my experience. TIA

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Why are you going from Invigor to RR? What part of west central AB, wondering if we are neighbors?
I grew Truflex Canterra 2600 this year on sod seeded, and fresh breaking, and some existing crop land, it definitely helped with weed control in those situations. Yield was good to very good for the conditions. No green seeds in this, but we also didn't have a killing Frost until mid October, but the Dekalb last year was terrible for green seeds.

Reactions: Mags

·
Registered
539 Posts
We had plots of 96Sc and 21sc beside 7565.
The truflex ones were 2 to 3 days later and yielded 2 b/a less.
The 96 stood the best..the 21 sc had poor standability..

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why are you going from Invigor to RR? What part of west central AB, wondering if we are neighbors?

I guess I’m not 100% decided. Have a quarter rented with bad wild out issues. Intended on putting some avadex or edge down this fall but that didn’t get done before snow flew. Finished combining a couple hours before season ending snow. Last time grew invigor on there sprayed full rate liberty and centurion in two applications and was a mess. Browned the oats off but most of them pulled through. Just thought maybe I’d try RR. Have applied avadex in spring ahead of drill with ok results, may do that again.

West of Rimbey.

·
Registered
539 Posts
You might want to take a look at the BrettYoung lineup, 6090RR and 6074RR.
Neighbors had both of those..1 week later than any Dekalb variety..
Not sure what they had for yield..
We getting some PV 760..7565..99SC..and some Brevant D series..

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
We grew it 3 years ago and on our trials it was 8% above everyone, that was 6074, I didn’t notice it was much later than anything else. Nexera and Victory were noticeably later.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Go have a look at the 2020 Canola Performance Trials. These are independent studies done in short, mid, and long seasons zones. It give a person a good idea which varieties are well suited in certain areas.
No surprises the Invigors are still out producing the RR varieties.
The new straight cut variety by Pioneer ... 506 looks to have good potential, but it’s not a “true” straight cut. There was a lot of Pioneer varieties having bad pod drop.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Had both of them and never looked back.
They can keep that Dekalb $hit and sell it to somebody else along with the green count.
We have been growing dekalb for many yrs.Never a issue with greens..
we swath later than anyone else around us...
Most guys swath 1 week to early..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any of you guys growing croplan varieties? I’ve grown invigor for along time L140 worked great in my area since it went away haven’t been impressed with any of their varieties since so I also was looking to switch. L345 did seem to be decent this year but had some pretty tough drought conditions so will grow some of it again next year but would like to try a few other brands and see what is out there and croplan looks to do pretty decent in ND yield trials so just was curious.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Had crop plan in this year, believe the # was cp20r3c
It was the top yield on the farm and will put in more next year. My biggest complaint is it’s a bit on the tall side for me, also plant is still very green at 70% colour change

1 - 12 of 12 Posts