The Combine Forum banner

Rumbling Rotor

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  rolf 
#1 ·
My rotor in my 03 75 really rumbles in the beans this year, I am running a 35 ft head this year. My neighbor runs a precision farm parts rotor and just loves it. The rotor in his combine does not rumble at all. He ran my machine the other day and could not believe how it sounds. I do have a set of rotor sweeps that I could install, but am concerned that the straw chopper could not handle the flow coming at it. I used these sweeps in wheat before and took them out because I could not chop the straw. Will the sweeps do the same as the precison farm parts rotor.

#3 ·
Well I decided to put the sweeps back in the combine, it was faster and cheaper. WOW what a machine, I can't even tell that there is anything going in the machine now. Pushing the 35ft head around at 4.8mph in 7inches of mud. These sweeps that I got from Hurtt's are the ticket when it comes to tough stocks. If these would have been around in the early 90's I think things would have been different for combine preferences. I bet I gained 15hp. It does not seem like I run out of power as easy. All I can say is Wow. Now I just need to do something with the straw chopper for wheat with these sweeps in there.

#5 ·
That's great silverluv. Do you have the fine cut chopper and if so have you got the new heavier blades installed? Might even think about speeding up the old chopper for a finer cut. I did have a guy with a discharge beater and wanted to chop some tough soybean straw better so we installed a few stationary sickle blades threw cage. This worked rather well and maybe could be used in conjunction with you sweeps and chopper!

corsair, Sweeps are only available for eight bar. I did custom build some for CDF because I couldn't flow the incredibly tough edible bean straw last fall.

nd72, Where up I29 is there a PFP rotor?

#6 ·
I was told that PFP has a new location in Grand Forks ND, I farm next to silverluv in the southern valley so GF is a quick trip north for us. I have ran my PFP rotor for 3 years now and I love it, glad the sweeps worked though... i would really like running that 75 now that it dosen't rumble! haha

#7 ·
I have the eight bar rotor and the standard cut chopper. I was thinking of installing a rodono chopper maybe this winter. I talked to Mike at precison farm parts, he sells them there , he has had good luck with speeding them up to help chop and help with pulling the material out. Has anyone else ran the rodono chopper? I ran the machine all day today in 45bu. beans and the rotor never once made a sound. The only problem I am having now is keeping the drapers out of the water. Man it is wet here. The drapers don't like to get wet.

#8 ·
Have lots of Rodonos out. Works better than normal chopper and better at speed of Gleaners fine cut. Still have one guy set up this way on both his machines and he wants better cut when straw is tough. He wouldn't give up the sweeps on his eight bar rotors and loves the capacity of his R62's in the toughest of conditions. He is a candidate for stationary knifes for next fall.

#10 ·
Did you get the steep thresher helicals in you machine and do you still have a bunch of reverse bars installed? I do have some of the CDF sweeps on shelf that I used in them edible beans. Not so called production. I did send a see down to Kansas a couple monthes ago and have call into the guy to see if and where he tried them.

#12 ·
Your cage is drilled for steep thresher helicals and standard for '10 (lots of guys shimming by 1/4" when installing steep pitch with CDF). I'd trim back the triangle over feeder while at it. Hereing some great results from shimming cylinder bars on thresher side back out by 1/2" (might be a good mix for some guys rotation of crops). Interesting mod out of Australia for CDF is leaving some bars off of seperator side and using some shimmed out two bolt reverse bars in there place. Definitely some hyperize tuning of CDF showing up. I'd get rid of the reverse cylinder bars at a minimum. Got report from guy with sweeps on his CDF and working great. He has run milo, soybeans, and corn. He started the season with them in so not the best of comparison or at least not as good as switching them when in a particular condition. Best of luck

#13 ·
Defiantly chuck in a set of Sweeps in to that Rotor (Standard or CDF)! Will make a big difference to smoothness and rotor loss as well!

Got to get MoG flowing smoothly, then retard it just enough, to separate the grain out! I took the helicals of the back sep section cage door when using a Bison rotor, on our 94 R62! Reduced rotor loss in Lentils and wheat.

Rolf

#14 ·
reverse bars were in A and B one bar per section, replaced them last night. Dealer gave me the same forward bars for D section so reverse bars will have to stay there for now, going to try beans today. Also ordered steep pitch helicals for thresher side.
nddan, could you send another set of sweeps down to Ks?

#15 ·
A is actually closest to discharge. Seems backwards but that is how Gleaner labels the positions. D would be closest to gearbox large machines. I would of been tempted to remove the reverse bars next to discharge and leave blank. I still have set of sweeps for CDF. If reports continue good with them on CDF I'll have to get some more built. If I still have them when you call I will ship out.

#16 ·
You guys are running in different condition to us!
But I'd be inclined to pull the chopper knives out, run chopper flat out, and reinstall sweeps.
Also climb up in to discharge outlet, and make sure that you have no heavy wet material sitting just out of the chopper on the flat section of outlet, but hasn't been moved to sloped part of outlet!
I have found green lentil straw and fine damp dust sitting in there, and it made the flat part of that outlet rusty, cleaned it up and used sandpaper to get it a smooth as I could, and it has made a difference.
Things slide out, away from chopper much better which let's more "stuff" in to chopper with out restriction!

If you can, drive up behind the machine while it's operating, and see if you have lumpy discharge coming out of rotor chute! (sound like a bad ER medical show!! :grin:)
It should be smooth laminar flow coming out of discharge! If not might pay to check for some restriction/feeding from front to chopper!

Rolf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.