The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok don't want to sound dumb but I have never ran this combine. Helping two friends that are both out for the season with cancer. I would like to know what things to look for when running. I have around 50 acers of beans to go before I get to the corn. Hoping to get that done in the next day or so if stays dry.

Anyway if anyone has things I should be watching while running the corn. I would be really thankful. As this is not my combine and really don't want to mess anything up on it. Also what are thing to watch on a 643 corn head. I know keep everything greased and so on but what are other things to worry about.

·
Registered
14 Posts
well if you are making it through the beans corn will be a breeze make sure fan, cylinder speeds are set properly i believe it is 1400 and i believe around 400 or so on the cylinder check manual for sure concave around 28 check the seives hopefully the gentlemen are in well enough shape to walk you through this one thing that many forget is to allow enough time to shut the seperator off after you finish for if you were to engage it full you could plug it clean cab filter regulary as well asair filter good luck hopefully this helps 9410's are nice we run a 9400 with 10 series updates good luck hope all goes well

·
Registered
492 Posts
On the head, the corn head grease is pumped into the fitting underneath on each row unit until it pushes out the plug you remove on top. I like to replace the plugs and run the unit a bit and then see if I can get any more in there.

We had an old 4 row that had a couple of row unit boxes go out due to lack of lubrication up on the bushings beneath the sprockets that drive the gathering chains. I can only assume we weren't ever getting enough in there, weren't filling often enough (only running a couple hundred acres a year and filling at the beginning each year)

With good corn and clean corn you will have very little to do except install header, lubricate it and drive. When dealing with small ears or small stalks, the deck plates may need adjusting a bit tighter to keep from shelling out ears in the snapping rolls.

If you have grass and vines, you will want to adjust the sheet metal strippers underneath the rolls to help keep from wrapping.

Good to hear how you make time to help others.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the info. That will deff help alot as I dont really see them being able to walk me threw any thing. The one goes for surgery tomarrow morn and the other starts chemo tomarrow as well. I just hope all goes well for them.

As for the beans the combine was already set so I just took over. They only had around 200 acers so it didnt take long.

Thanks again

·
Registered
200 Posts
most important thing to do is say a prayer for your friends. not too hard to set a combine in corn, you'll do fine. on a corn head make sure the tension springs for the gathering chains are not set up. does not take too much sitting to make a chain or two run slack because the tensioner is a little sticky with rust or dust.

·
Registered
492 Posts
And move the feeder house drive chain on the right side onto the smaller drive sprocket to account for the increased header drive speed with the corn head.

How do you change the header drive speed on a 9400/10? On the older combines you move the drive chain onto the smaller sprocket on the left side of the feeder house at the bottom, but on the 9500 we have it's a variable speed drive now.

To set the cylinder, fan, chaffer and seive, precleaner etc, there is usually a quick reference card in the cab or a decal on the side of the combine in front of the rear tire somewhere or there are good starting points in the manual (in the pocket in the back of the seat I believe)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check the owner's manual (should be in a holder on the back of the seat). The knives on the chopper should be swung out (18 or 19 mm nut on each side of the front of the chopper, loosen and swing forward, tighten nut). The chopper speed should be slowed down (loosen 21 mm (?) or 15/16 double nuts on the spring above the left rear tire, move belt that runs up toward motor to the correct pulley on both ends and idler), top bracket 10 mm (?) wrench will have to be re-aligned when the belt is in proper position. The "precleaner" (front set of screens/sieves) that are normally closed for beans should be opened enogh for corn to fall through (use strap iron "lever" that should be stored on the top of the return elevator to open it), probably will have to partially crawl into the rear of the combine if its like my 9400. Good luck to you and your friends.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thank you all for all the info. It will help alot. I should have all beans off or am hoping to by end of the day or at latest tomorrow. Then I think it will be around 3 weeks before I can get to the corn. From what I have heard and checked most the corn around me is still at around 30% so have to let it dry down more before I can start running. Again thanks for all the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts