The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told by an A/C technician that you should run your air conditioner in the winter time to keep the seals from drying out. Is this correct? Does anybody else do this? It is not a simple task to warm up the cab enough to make the A/C work.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That is what I have always been told to do as well.

In fact, in some newer vehicles, if you put the defrost mode on, the a/c actually automatically kicks in. Supposed to help clear the windows (lowers the humidity?)

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have been told this too. and as a matter of fact yesterday i was able to start up my combine and let it warm it, run the a/c and charge up the batteries. also started the tractors. i try to start them once a month if the weather co-operates. it was 45 here yesterday.

fwiw

Duane

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, all modern cars and trucks since sometime in the 80's run the compressor with the defroster.

The primary reason is to reduce the humidity to allow for better defrosting, the secondary reason is just is what is being talked about here (lubricating the seals and the like) to keep the system from going "stale" with the inactivity.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yep, sure do run the A/C's. Fired up 2 machines on Tuesday, around 60*, started right up just fine. Didn't have low battery problems for once, and ran the A/C for about 3-5 minutes. I try to do this every time in the winter possible.

Jacob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Even if you can't start the machine,or get it warm enough for the compressor clutch to kick in,turning the compressor hub by hand will help keep the seals lubricated and sealed during the winter layover. Try to rotate the compressor about 20 turns if possible.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We always run ours on a warmish day in winter once a month for 5 minutes. I always look at the end of the pump to make sure its driving. Somtimes I take the valve caps off to check for leaks as they can somtimes start weeping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts