The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have combined high moisture peas and been storing them last few days with aeration fans running 24/7 but never suspected this big rain to last a few days..

Is it better to shut fans down and wait till it's over or run them threw the next few days.. Calling for 50mm

·
Registered
77 Posts
How high of moisture are they? We shut are fan s down during rain as it will add moisture to grain, that what we have found, do you have temp cables.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
I have dried out peas in 5000 bushel hopper bins with 3.5hp KEHO fan from 25% moisture down to 10-12% in a week in warm dry weather. If the peas are cool and not spoiling, I would turn off the fans. If they are hot at all. I would leave the fans on to cool down and not be spoiling.
This is no expert advice here.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gueesing I would say 20 percent moisture, from unqured green ones, and a few canada thistle in them.. Had two good days of drying with them and only filled bins half full to make it quicker to dry..

Looks the their 50mm is a farse, only 4 mm now and looks to be clearing, but I did shut fans down tonight.. Thanks

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I would look at the following site. As Ianwickum pointed out if they are not hot, leave the fan off until the humidity drops out. Use the cereal chart as a rough guideline. The important thing is to keep it cool until humidity drops out of air.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/crop1204

·
Registered
419 Posts
What's important is the "equilibrium moisture" for the peas. For example, 18% MC peas will not lose or gain moisture at 80% relative humidity (roughly, depends on air temperature as well). Peas have a low equilibrium moisture, i.e. they dry even at high humidity (compared to canola, wheat, barley). I would run the fan if you need cooling and then run some more if the humidity drops a little.

See: PAMI Equilibirium Moisture Content Charts and SK AG natural air grain drying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts