The Combine Forum banner

561 - 568 of 568 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Dumbfarmer I would say the opposite. I know a couple RCMP officers that are exceptional people. One is in our local detachment and the other is in the Craik detachment. Both of these guys are the nicest people you would want to meet. Like in every profession there are some winners and loosers.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Unfortunately we get dumbfarmers rejects, few here respect cops, my wife was talking to one who used to be a preacher,said he changed careers for the benifits and pension plan. Had a vandalism a while ago and the cop cant take directions in miles, and he was the sargeant.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Like you, I wasted my time watching that too...honestly, I think it was some propaganda to try to convince people like us not to take matters into our own hands, which I'm sure has been happening a lot more than we are hearing about. Love the part where we're just supposed to call the cops and then sit there and wait an hour or more while things are destroyed and and everyone is miles away before they ever get there lol. Also I had to laugh on the news today how the RCMP are now trying to say rural crime is way down now due to the crime task force...ya right, never been worse around here than this summer and I've heard much the same from many other parts of the province.
If it takes an hour or more for the cops to get there I would think you could get rid of the body in that amount of time...

·
Registered
263 Posts
There's so much going on in our area. It's incredible. Numerous times, there's been fuel stolen from farm equipment parked in the field, or in the yard. I'm sure there's been fuel stolen that's gone unnoticed. 2 pickups that I've heard of stolen, cops did find one driving around and pursued, but called it off due to high speed. One quad and one side-by-side. Batteries stolen from out of semis. Twice that I've heard of where people were going through someone's yard and they were confronted, didn't get the full story on one but I heard the farmer was being charged for something on the other.

This all in the last two years, in a 6 mile radius from my place! and that's only what I've heard of. A few years ago someone siphoned the diesel from parked swathers and lit them on fire.

Girlfriend heard something on CBC about rural crime being down too. Certainly not in our area.

·
Registered
508 Posts
A few years ago a local guy was working a large field with some kind of tillage tool, a disc or a cultivator, details were fuzzy, but it was a long job. He would leave it end of the day in the field and come back to it in the morning. He started noticing the fuel tank was low in the mornings. He decided to watch one night and see what was going on. Turns out his neighbour was taking the tractor and tool each night and using it on his own field and then parking it again in the same spot. Can you imagine.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Crime statistics are largely just smoke and mirrors. There are crime reports, crime charges and crime convictions in declining quantity. If they were to flip this around to domestic violence, convictions are almost non existent in the sea of violence reports that are reported and discharged years later.

This is largely what occupies the time of the courts and police in many rural regions.

Indigenous women are more likely to experience spousal violence
Footnote
• Nearly 60% E of Indigenous women who reported spousal abuse also reported being physically injured as a result of it versus 41% E of non-Indigenous womenFootnote 
• Half of the Indigenous women experiencing violence reported the most severe forms of violence: being sexually assaulted, beaten, choked, or threatened with a gun or a knifeFootnote 
4. E
Young women have the highest rates overall
• According to police-reported data in 2016, women aged 15-24 present the highest rates of dating violence.Footnote 
Same-sex relationships
• Women who self-identified as lesbian or bisexual reported significantly higher rates of violence by a partner than heterosexual women (11 E % vs. 3%).
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/health-promotion/stop-family-violence/problem-canada.html

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The part that bothers me the most is the repeat offenders. The justice/prison system should be harsh enough that after the first time in there you never want to go back. Of course our wonderful SJW's would never want a criminal to be stuck with out TV internet etc let alone swinging a hammer crushing gravel. Just last week my neighbor had a bunch of his cordless tools stolen from his acreage where he is building their retirement house. Not that I wish that on him at all, but it is sort of nice to have a city guy feel what it is really like out side of the city. Hopefully he tells some friends what it is like.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just keep a big hole dug with a big pile of gravel next to it. Every so often you push the gravel in the hole, pour cement and put up a new grain bin.

561 - 568 of 568 Posts