The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running a 2366 with large wire concaves have slotted and keystock grates. Going to combine some rye grass and some wheat. Have large wire concaves in. I only have a couple of custom jobs to do so i don't want to put a set of small ones in. I put slotted grates in for oats wondering if they would work for the grass and wheat. Don't have cover plates and don't know any thing about them. Do mostly corn and beans. I have harvested grass and wheat with the large wires and no cover plate but the sample isn't real pertty. Any help would be great thanks!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
For both the grass and wheat, cover plates on the first 3 sections will do the trick. With the large wire concaves you may need to cover 4 sections. Then run at least the front 2 grates keystock and if needed the third as a slotted grate. By running cover plates, you can run the rotor slower and still rub off the doubles in the ryegrass, and also do a better job of rubbing the wheat out before the seperation takes place.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Morganman I'm in west central WI. Doorknob where should i get coverplates, and can I put them in myself? Also wondering if a run 3 keystock and 1 slotted grate, how would that work in oats? Want to use the straw for bedding so i dont want to beat the stems all to heck. Thinking about running 1 keystock and rest slotted with the cover plates. What do you guys think? P.S hope to use the same setup for all three. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Quote:Morganman I'm in west central WI. Doorknob where should i get coverplates, and can I put them in myself? Also wondering if a run 3 keystock and 1 slotted grate, how would that work in oats? Want to use the straw for bedding so i dont want to beat the stems all to heck. Thinking about running 1 keystock and rest slotted with the cover plates. What do you guys think? P.S hope to use the same setup for all three.
Thanks again!

You should be able to easily run the same concaves for all 3 if you have the cover plates handy. I use the Gorden covers. They are easily installed and uninstalled in the field. There is a hook that you bolt on the right side of the concave and then on the left it uses one of the bolts that mount the concave to the z-bar. Very nice option to have.

We bale all the grass straw here. I find using a slower rotor speed does the most good for the money (free). Seems to me that the transport vane position also has a big influence on straw quality. I used to run the vanes in the fast position to get the straw through quicker. However this for some reason, I think the nature of the long slippery grass straw, caused more of a retarding condition. IE, the vanes in full fast position, are too steep an angle for some crops and conditions. When I went back to the middle position, the material seemed to move through better. Could'nt see it in the windrow, but the combine took a little less power to run the same load, and the tank sample improved.

On the grates, that is one you'll have to figure out for your conditions. They are light weight and easily changed, so....... I really like having the tuning ability afforded by having a set of slotteds and keystock. I mostly allways run the keystock unless it is so dry all I have is dust by the second concave.

The thing about the cover plates for grass is to get the leaves ground up and seperated from the stem and the tips if the heads seperated from the seed befor they fall through to the auger pan. The stem will go through the rotor mostly in one pice or maybe 2, but large enough pieces to not fall through. The finer ground leaves and other material (mog) is easier to seperate in front of the chaffer than a load of large stuff like stems. It sometimes gets some heated discussion about cover plates, but in my opinion and experience, the better threshed condition the material is, the easier and more efficient it will seperate. For ryegrass with cover plates on at least 3 sections, you should be able to run a very slow rotor. I've ran in low range and 350 before in good dry ryegrass, but mostly run in the 500 range. Because I run cover plates, I can also run the concaves open allmost equal to the grates. I close them only about 1/8th to a 1/4" closer than the grates. Then if one side of the machine is a little heavy, I can change that with a little rotor speed adj.

Hope something there helps you some. Good luck with your harvest.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
doorknob I have the info on the gordon coverplates in front of me. Just wondering how mutch do they cost? Also when doing rye grass do you get it really clean, or is there some trash? All the rye grass i do is mostly for seed they rum it through a cleaner or they feed it in there mixed ration for dairy cows.

Thanks for all the info!!!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Quote:doorknob I have the info on the gordon coverplates in front of me. Just wondering how mutch do they cost? Also when doing rye grass do you get it really clean, or is there some trash? All the rye grass i do is mostly for seed they rum it through a cleaner or they feed it in there mixed ration for dairy cows.

Thanks for all the info!!!

Joe, the sample I get is between 3% to just over 10% cleanout. 15% is not out of line in some conditions, and depending on acreage, it may not pencil to put the time and money into combine changes to get the low percent cleanout. Something you'll find about grass seed is that your capacity limit will be your cleaning system on the combine, not the horsepower. Of course there are many theories about how to set your machine, but I set the rest of the machine around the limiting factor. If it is the cleaning system, then the rotor speed, concaves and grates, and ground speed should be set to work with the cleaning system. And in other crops, just the other way around if the threshing is the limiting factor and if the seperation is limiting, etc.

The cover plates will vary in price because of tax and frieght charge, but they are cheap for what they do. Having them in your arsenal of tuning aids in a custom harvest situation is invaluable. Last thing you want to do is not have any options to try if the customer is'nt satisfied with the sample. They're not a wear item, they dont wear out so you can use them for many years.

There's a couple grass growers over on agtalk.com. You might ask over there for some pictures and settings. In fact just recently there was a couple threads about them and gorden bars. http://u15205752.onlinehome-server.com/f....mo de=1#M165167 And. http://u15205752.onlinehome-server.com/f....mo de=1#M164757

This year the price of proprietary grass seed is high. Both rye and fescue. The price of VNS is also high. I would think the grower you harvest for would want the best cleanout you can get this year. So to me anyway, a couple hundred bucks for a set of covers is money well spent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts