The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
ideally it should be up three inches or so, before a killing frost ...
depends on the year, and area ...
that 'time to grow' is 30-40 days after seeding, depending on warmth and soil conditions ..

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I put some triticale in on the 28th of October last year, that was too late.

I’ve never had a problem planting rye as late as Sept 20th.

In my opinion WVCA’s statement above is very good advice.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've always had it in buy mid Sept. Always had good luck with it but its been afew years since I grew it thow. Haven't had a fall lately where I've got any thing combined early enough to seed it back.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Last year due to extenuating circumstances we didn’t get it seeded till well into October. It got germinated but a lot didn’t even emerge before winter set in. It’s been much later to harvest than normal, but turned out to be a decent crop.

·
Premium Member
5,714 Posts
Where are you located? Probably safe to go at least 10 days later than the last date you'd seed winter wheat since rye is more hardy.

Have had good luck with late seeding, all depends on the winter and the spring for tillering. Sometimes seeding too early uses up a bunch of moisture and if you don't get much snow it can start hurting pretty bad in the spring.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Not to hijck this thread, but what crop do you guys grow rye after? And what do you follow rye with? We had considered trying a quarter out, but not looking like that's going to happen, frickin' weather.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Peas will follow our rye. Spray with viper then go in later with assure 2 to get another shot on the volunteer.

·
Premium Member
5,714 Posts
Peas after rye are pretty good. I've had decent luck with canola but you need to control volunteers in the fall and again in the spring early on. And it works best with a planter I think for the row cleaners.

I'd seed rye after just about anything that you can get off in time.

·
Registered
461 Posts
peas are probably best - big seed and deep seed depth. the rye residue has some sort of compound in it that can supress germination of smaller seeds. lentils ok too.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Rye seeded mid October last year yielded 40 percent less than mid sept, and took two passes of herbicide and still had weeds in by harvest, lesson learned there, need to have rye emerged out of ground to be a viable crop, seed growers will tell you other but sell seed.. Sounds like lots going in this fall, be prepared for sub 4 dollar rye next few years

·
Premium Member
5,714 Posts
But if it is dry again next year a lot of the rye on dryland is going to get rolled up into greenfeed and there might not be a whole lot left for the bins.

All the guys that I have talked to are looking at it to hopefully replenish feed. That won't be the case with the Hybrid stuff of course, but lots of the OP will go into a cow.

·
Premium Member
5,714 Posts
Most hybrid is sold out I hear. Not sure how seed production went this year though. But I think they are mostly sold out almost every year. Any big increase of acres will come from OP for that reason I think.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts