The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at using s15 next year but are a little Leary of the claims that you can put 100 lbs+ with canola and wheat in a narrow side band seed row and have no issues with the salt. We. Currently put 80 lbs of 70% 11-52 and 30% 20-0-0-24 with the seed and that is the very limit of what is safe in there. Tried 90 and 100 in test strips and you could see from 1/2 mile away the thin strips. Not sure about rolling the dice on the high rate if s15 without trying it first.

The s15 is cheaper than the same blend of 11-52 and 20-00-24 this year. And we can get it direct to farm rather than picking it up.

Was thinking of 80 lbs of s15 and testing 100 lbs in a "few" spots.

Just wondering about what other guys have found with this product. Thanks

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Watch the sulphur part closely on some of these products. Elemental sulphur is regarded as only partially available in the year of application. Surface application has some availability, but seed row application of elemental sulphur has low availability. If you are sulphur deficient on your soil tests you need to build your levels up before switching to these products or apply heavy rates in the first few years.

Some claim their products are 1/2 ams and 1/2 elemental. Is that by weight of the products or the amount of actual sulphur. It makes a huge difference. If it is by weight, you actually end up with only 21% of your sulphur as the available form from AMS and 79% of your sulphur as limited availability from elemental, even though you have 1/2 of each by weight.

Usually S15 costs more. It is a much nicer product to handle. You don't get the sulphur dust in your eyes as bad as with a blended product.

In high pH soils there are claims that there is more available phos to the crop as the zone around the prill is more acidic from the sulphur and less phos gets tied up in the soil. I have not found any scientific trials to back that up though.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
bud Usually S15 costs more. It is a much nicer product to handle. You don't get the sulphur dust in your eyes as bad as with a blended product. QUOTE said:
Dust part is true, but the stuff we used this spring had a clay like coating and was horrible in the high humidity conditions we had this spring. Coated augers and meters, had to run higher than normal fan speeds to reduce plugging. Not sure if it was the batch or conditions that was the cause, but I have used it before and had some of this but not nearly as bad as this spring.
Might be something to consider.
Its true you do not get all your sulfur in the first year.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I accidentally put two hundred actual pounds of phospate using s15 on soybeans in the row single shoot three years ago on 15 acres and the stand was good . I have used s15 on beans every year since with good results. I think its easy on the seed. not very scientific but there you go. heavy wet clay with moisture excess most of the time.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We got quoted 710 picked up before February. Thanks for the replies it's good to hear that it's safe with more than 100 lbs. every one I've talked to says the same thing that it is safe. It's a little cheaper ($2/acre)than the same analysis 11-52/20-0-0-24 blend so I think we're going to try it.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
We use it on peas. It's a huge difference over a blend of 11-52 and AMS. I'm talking 6" higher plants and flowering about 4-6 days earlier in side-by-side.

130lbs of S15 vs. equivalent actual Lbs of S and P.

Only thing we've found sometimes it can be very dusty. Other times very nice "wetted" prills.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.