The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New french guy on this forum, I would ask if anyone as experience in using a S or STS JD combine in wet straw conditions as we can find near seaside areas... Compared with conventionnal or hybride combines? What about the quality of straw and yielding ? by night? Thanks for your help

·
Super Moderator
2,516 Posts
By seaside I assume you mean high humidity, if that's the case you will not find a
better machine than a Lexion (=hybrid) for those conditions.
Reason?
A rotary (axial) soaks up power with moist straw, a walker machine has trouble separating grain from damp straw.

Don

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All Lexions aren' t hybrid... If I Want to stay in the Deere range The C /CTS could be the right choice? Do they compete with Lexions hybrids?

·
Super Moderator
2,516 Posts
Good point.
But for his conditions I wouldn't go the walker route.
As the CTS is not marketed in NA, I did not think of it.
I also read his post without reading the title.

Don

·
Registered
894 Posts
Possibly, but the CTS doesn't have the ability to vary its rotor speeds like the Lexion can. The C/CTS rotors can only go to 740 rpm, where as the Lexion can adjust all the way to 1050 rpm, which is a nice benefit in tough straw type crops. The other advantage of the Lexion is the APS system and its front cylinder used to smooth out and optimize the material flow to. APS is on all Lexion combines.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Since your question has not been answered without without confusing chatter, the answer to your question is you would want a JD S, commonly known as a CTS which is JD's hybrid model.
Single axial machines, such as the STS, or CIH axial flows, do not perform as well in the tougher conditions you are citing. The S or hybrid would also be superior for straw baling.

The second choice would be a walker, as they perform better in tough conditions than a single axial rotary and are probably superior or equal to a hybid (S/CTS) for straw.

Single rotaries are most productive in dry, clean , perfect conditons, and pretty much mangle or destroy the straw, however, there are some operators who can make straw from a single rotary.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We know here that a walker type combine can "eat" a lot and normaly let good straw BUT their limits are grain losses at walkers so the driver is very disappointed when wet conditions appear and can't push the speed handle as far as the engine wants because of the grain losses indicator!
So I understand that hybrid type would be the right compromise... Lexion or CTS (Surprised Don, Those CTS not used in NA!!?)

·
Registered
745 Posts
We used 2 CTS combines till 2002. To be honest, it was a pure wheat machine. In canola (direkt cutting) it was slowing down sooooo much, a single Lex480 whoch replaced those 2 CTS did more. They hardly did 2 ha/h. A powerfull machines is something different. Even our John Deere 2266 (replaced 2006) did more. So I would say the CTS are as powerfull as a 6 walker combine.

Btw, some gyus mixed something up "S" means the STS line. "S" isnt the hybrid line. Thats "C"

In those wet conditions I wouldnt go for an axial rotor combine. I wont say what would be a better choice, some others already did it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok arcus for clarifying the question of S and C JD combine, S is a Single rotor and C a hybrid type.
In Europe we still get both from Deere.
I can't understand why a Lexion 480 could be so much superior as the CTS JD (rotor speed as muddy said upper?) Engine HP?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I am also from europe

I know the european models. I think it might be the construction of the rotors, or the transition from the drum to the rotors...
I dont know, we just couldnt push the combine further. As I said in wheat they were not bad. Like a 6 walker machine or slightly better... But in canola it was crap. The hybrid system fits to ur conditions. You could test a CTS, maybe its enough performace for you. I dunno if you wanna stay with John Deere or not, but I really wouldnt recommand a axial rotor machine...
An STS just cant reach the performance its ment to reach... but you have to pay for the possible performance (in dry conditions) which you wont reach...

Maybe the T-series might be something for you...I heard suprisingly good opinions about it.

One question, how many hectars/acres you wanna cut?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bisons still in your country? I thought they had all been killed for a long time!
seriously what is this Bisonrotor?

·
Registered
528 Posts
................................................................................................................. then what are N/A rice farmers that love deere going to use

1 - 19 of 19 Posts