The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have older S-680s or S 690s I have a few questions.

I put 325+ separator hours a year on a 2014 S690 and am trying to figure out an average yearly repairs/maintenance that other people have with similar machines. I'm not including header maintenance, lease/ownership payments, Diesel/DEF, or even Deprecation... I know that all those things are part of the picture, but trying to get closer to apples to apples. Have dealer do yearly inspection, but I do all the work. Dealer gets called out during harvest 2-3 times on average

Parts and very little dealership labor for past few years
2017: $21k (about 16k parts + 5k dealer field repairs)
2018: $25k (about same but precleaner went through chopper last day of harvest so more $$$ in parts)
2019: $51k (35K in preseason parts, 10k in dealer labor, rest was more parts)

Not scared of the three year average, but am worried about the trend it is going in. If dealer was to do the work probably add 10-15k to each years bill

Are these inline with you other Deere operators out there?

How reliable are the DPF and DEF systems once they have 3000+ engine hours? Delete possible?

Switching from Deere isn't really an option right now, but emissions are off of warranty and am trying to get some ballpark figures for true cost of operation so I can make educated decisions whether to change machines or not. Any input is appreciated except for telling me to get a CLAAS...

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Times that by 1.35 for us Canadians. Wow. That's nuts. I can't even imagine, and I run S 670's. I'd quit getting them green lighted.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
How many acres do you do with that machine per year? I always put repair costs into $ per acre. I’m guessing if you put 325 sep hours on you must be covering a few acres and I think your cost per acre would be similar to what our S series cost us?

·
Registered
385 Posts
For those of you who have older S-680s or S 690s I have a few questions.

I put 325+ separator hours a year on a 2014 S690 and am trying to figure out an average yearly repairs/maintenance that other people have with similar machines. I'm not including header maintenance, lease/ownership payments, Diesel/DEF, or even Deprecation... I know that all those things are part of the picture, but trying to get closer to apples to apples. Have dealer do yearly inspection, but I do all the work. Dealer gets called out during harvest 2-3 times on average

Parts and very little dealership labor for past few years
2017: $21k (about 16k parts + 5k dealer field repairs)
2018: $25k (about same but precleaner went through chopper last day of harvest so more $$$ in parts)
2019: $51k (35K in preseason parts, 10k in dealer labor, rest was more parts)

Not scared of the three year average, but am worried about the trend it is going in. If dealer was to do the work probably add 10-15k to each years bill

Are these inline with you other Deere operators out there?

How reliable are the DPF and DEF systems once they have 3000+ engine hours? Delete possible?

Switching from Deere isn't really an option right now, but emissions are off of warranty and am trying to get some ballpark figures for true cost of operation so I can make educated decisions whether to change machines or not. Any input is appreciated except for telling me to get a CLAAS...
Ok in my experience , John Deere harvest inspections have been very detailed. Usually my inspections come back in that 15 to 20 thousand. That's when we have a talk and I say ok guys seriously what really needs to be done. After that discussion, it leaves me with a bill usually around 7- 10 thousand with a good dependable combine. Of course you want your machine running in tip top shape and you dont want to cut corners on repair budgets, but dare I say a yearly payment on a S690 plus 20 grand or more in repairs must be getting pretty near the cost of a new lease. Unless you now completely own it, than it makes sense to keep it going I think anyways !

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How many acres do you do with that machine per year? I always put repair costs into $ per acre. I’m guessing if you put 325 sep hours on you must be covering a few acres and I think your cost per acre would be similar to what our S series cost us?
Usually have custom cutters help out some, but 7-8k per year.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok in my experience , John Deere harvest inspections have been very detailed. Usually my inspections come back in that 15 to 20 thousand. That's when we have a talk and I say ok guys seriously what really needs to be done. After that discussion, it leaves me with a bill usually around 7- 10 thousand with a good dependable combine. Of course you want your machine running in tip top shape and you dont want to cut corners on repair budgets, but dare I say a yearly payment on a S690 plus 20 grand or more in repairs must be getting pretty near the cost of a new lease. Unless you now completely own it, than it makes sense to keep it going I think anyways !
Thanks for the input.

15-20 is what I have been hearing from a few people, but they seem to be closer to 200 sep hours per year. Machine is payed off, but still considering lease. I don't do everything the inspection list says, but I figure 1 day of downtime during harvest is worth quite a bit, therefore I don't "cut corners" as you allude to in your explanation. I probably should clarify that I don't experience much downtime when treating the combine like a Hollywood diva, but I question if I'm going about this the right way(reason for the thread.). I could care less whether Machine is owned or not, just want to figure out most inexpensive way to run a JD combine.

If I extrapolate and say 30k a year is an average for my hours then I can do some math and figure from there.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Would it be cheaper to buy parts from pfp or sunny brook. You probably are buying a set of chopper knives every year.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
One big advantage to doing off season maintenance is you have months to shop around for parts instead of having to rush into the only dealer that has what you need right now and paying whatever they want you to.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One big advantage to doing off season maintenance is you have months to shop around for parts instead of having to rush into the only dealer that has what you need right now and paying whatever they want you to.
Definitely will be more proactive with parts pricing going forward. My 100% loyalty to the dealer has cost quite a bit.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How much production of which crops though?

Hopefully your rock harvest is fairly limited?
Usually about half cereals (oats, springwheat, durum, millet). Oilseeds like canola, flax, and Peola make up about 1/4th. Soybeans, Sunflowers, and a little corn makes up the rest. Fairly spread out. Rocks never were much of a problem, but wads of flax ripping parts of the threshing system off does the same kind of damage. Once again the stripper should help with reducing the catastrophic implosions.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
How many acres of lentils are you harvesting?? Combine repairs with lentils are a cost I don't believe many factor in when growing them.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Would it be cheaper to buy parts from pfp or sunny brook. You probably are buying a set of chopper knives every year.
I'll look into it this and see. Had good luck with sunnybrook concaves. Have broken both rear steering hubs, both front inner dual rims, and had to replace the feederhouse clip in the last 12 months. Those are high dollar items that could maybe be called operator error... more background as to why this years $ figure was so high.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
You beat me to the post :)

Flax doing that much damage? Hmm, I plan to try some but have wondered why there are not that many acres of flax around.
Grew intercrop with chickpeas last year, 17 acres worth is all. I kind of like it an will try some of that again this year. Working on a screen to efficiently separate before I do much more. Lots of work for those 17 acres so far.

NW North Dakota, you must get fairly good yields there. I know if I cut 20 bushel wheat I have much less wear on a combine than 50 bushel. As with any crop.

Shop for parts, prices can way different. Different example. I ordered a drain pump for washing machine this morning. $172 for local dealer in stock. $25 off internet and be here Friday evening. OEM part I can get in a few hours or aftermarket I get in a few days. OEM almost 7 times more....
Thread on here for JD combine turbo actuator of some sort. Over $400 from JD or replace the ball ends for $15?? Takes a bit more research to get the ball ends but I am saying a few hours is worth it to me.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts