The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
How many acres of lentils are you harvesting?? Combine repairs with lentils are a cost I don't believe many factor in when growing them.
Use to be a third of the farm, but now it is down to nothing. Too much history (since late 90's) and too much water in recent years = disease factory. I hear you on the repair end though put a lot of time and dollars to keep the headers running smooth and eating the dirt from a badger hole is never good either.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You beat me to the post :)

Flax doing that much damage? Hmm, I plan to try some but have wondered why there are not that many acres of flax around.
Grew intercrop with chickpeas last year, 17 acres worth is all. I kind of like it an will try some of that again this year. Working on a screen to efficiently separate before I do much more. Lots of work for those 17 acres so far.

NW North Dakota, you must get fairly good yields there. I know if I cut 20 bushel wheat I have much less wear on a combine than 50 bushel. As with any crop.
When it comes to flax I read about somebodies recipe for fertility and fungicide on this forum and took yields from 20-30+. The bigger issue is that we never got to it when it was 85 F and dry.. seems the last few years it was 45 and cloudy. I've done well on flax, so i'll keep growing it. I learn a lot of lessons the hard way.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Have been doing cost analysis and budgeting in my office last couple weeks in this cold weather. I don't think your costs are out of line with other brands. I am seeing costs rising like yours with the Claas 2014 vintage machines. As I hang on to these machines longer the repair costs seem to rise, and I don't like it either.

I have always used the inspection program with the dealer and have had the dealer do most of the recommended repairs in the past.
In 2020 we are doing most of the repairs ourselves where capable. Combines are in our shop and being stripped down this week. Need to get the repair costs under control, as they are getting quite ridiculous.
2019 year hit $8.30 per acre in repairs. 2018 was $6.80 per acre.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
My repair costs on combines are about $2-3 per acre. Wonder if you know a cost per bushel? That might be even better knowledge than cost per acre? This last year I was $1.69 per acre. Bad drought for me last year so cost per bushel was around $0.063/bushel in just the combine repairs cost. Not including oil, filters, fuel, and such. New concaves in both combines was the major expense. 15% acres chickpeas, rest wheat and barley. I do all the work, I shop for parts. No break downs this year during harvest I can think of other than a few guards and sections. This cost includes guard and sections. Then again what some call the dealer to fix I fix while greasing and fueling and think nothing of it. So, I am sure I forgot a few repairs.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Have been doing cost analysis and budgeting in my office last couple weeks in this cold weather. I don't think your costs are out of line with other brands. I am seeing costs rising like yours with the Claas 2014 vintage machines. As I hang on to these machines longer the repair costs seem to rise, and I don't like it either.

I have always used the inspection program with the dealer and have had the dealer do most of the recommended repairs in the past.
In 2020 we are doing most of the repairs ourselves where capable. Combines are in our shop and being stripped down this week. Need to get the repair costs under control, as they are getting quite ridiculous.
2019 year hit $8.30 per acre in repairs. 2018 was $6.80 per acre.
Thanks for sharing. Glad i'm not only one with higher repair costs.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My repair costs on combines are about $2-3 per acre. Wonder if you know a cost per bushel? That might be even better knowledge than cost per acre? This last year I was $1.69 per acre. Bad drought for me last year so cost per bushel was around $0.063/bushel in just the combine repairs cost. Not including oil, filters, fuel, and such. New concaves in both combines was the major expense. 15% acres chickpeas, rest wheat and barley. I do all the work, I shop for parts. No break downs this year during harvest I can think of other than a few guards and sections. This cost includes guard and sections. Then again what some call the dealer to fix I fix while greasing and fueling and think nothing of it. So, I am sure I forgot a few repairs.
$/ bushels
17 $0.053
18 $0.065
19 $ 0.126

When I call the dealers it is $600 before they even do any work, so I do everything I can before making that call. 70 miles one way with two technicians in the service truck. Don't have an issue with the quality of work, but get pretty angry if they are out more than twice a year.

·
Registered
386 Posts
$/ bushels
17 $0.053
18 $0.065
19 $ 0.126

When I call the dealers it is $600 before they even do any work, so I do everything I can before making that call. 70 miles one way with two technicians in the service truck. Don't have an issue with the quality of work, but get pretty angry if they are out more than twice a year.
8850 champ I was wondering here in Manitoba John Deere will offer bronze, silver and gold inspections. If you decide to choose one of the levels you are gaining primary status in the event of a break down, also if its a multi day repair you get a replacement combine as long as they have one on lot. They also stand by there work. Yes, these inspections are expensive but I know many farmers that cheap out and do there own work only to discover a break down at the start of harvest they missed. I think the level of loyalty you show towards your Deere dealer really helps. I do miss the days of our old JD 7720 when it was pretty straight forward to fix. Man, it was cheap cheap cheap running them! Also like was said earlier the type of crop you push thru that combine will affect the repair bill. Most of us Canucks push small grains thru our combines. I would never buy a used corn or soybean combine from down south. I can definitely see the wear showing up from pushing beans thru my Deere now compared to the years with wheat, barley, oats and canola.
If your doing a large enough amount of custom combine acres, maybe not a bad ideal to abandon the 690 and go to a new lease. Its a Tough call with poor crop prices looming!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Heard of Deere wanting some new parts put in the combine when the lease is over. I’m definitely calling sunnybrook when my chopper knives need replacing

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I have an inspection list that I do. Buddy of mine gets the green light inspection and does a lot of the work himself. I check his list every year he checks mine. The JD shop is thorough but they miss stuff too. I shop for parts most of the winter. Parts in the US are usually 13% less including exchange than here in Canada.
I realize guys need more capacity but I like the 670's, no re-thrasher, 9.0L engine, way less fuel and less horsepower running a lot of the same components used in a 9660STS. I probably wouldn't buy an S or STS with the hi capacity (rice style) beater. I just feel like less ingestion issues with the standard beater.

8850 it sounds like you're averaging around or over 20/acres per hour.
Are some of those costs also header? If you're including header expense and covering 7000acres/year I would say your costs aren't out of whack with the exception of 19 likely on the high end. Maybe for 20 it won't need much.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have an inspection list that I do. Buddy of mine gets the green light inspection and does a lot of the work himself. I check his list every year he checks mine. The JD shop is thorough but they miss stuff too. I shop for parts most of the winter. Parts in the US are usually 13% less including exchange than here in Canada.
I realize guys need more capacity but I like the 670's, no re-thrasher, 9.0L engine, way less fuel and less horsepower running a lot of the same components used in a 9660STS. I probably wouldn't buy an S or STS with the hi capacity (rice style) beater. I just feel like less ingestion issues with the standard beater.

8850 it sounds like you're averaging around or over 20/acres per hour.
Are some of those costs also header? If you're including header expense and covering 7000acres/year I would say your costs aren't out of whack with the exception of 19 likely on the high end. Maybe for 20 it won't need much.
Next time we update it will most likely be a class 7. As long as it is built for my heavy headers the only downfall is hopper size is a little smaller. The stripper header is a game changer for horsepower requirements. My numbers include some (probably 1/2) of my header costs, but not all. I use 6 different headers and I spin the numbers a little differently for expense categories. the # of headers is also why switching to a different brand of combine isn't realistic in the short term.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Usually about half cereals (oats, springwheat, durum, millet). Oilseeds like canola, flax, and Peola make up about 1/4th. Soybeans, Sunflowers, and a little corn makes up the rest. Fairly spread out. Rocks never were much of a problem, but wads of flax ripping parts of the threshing system off does the same kind of damage. Once again the stripper should help with reducing the catastrophic implosions.
Wads of flax are the most damaging crop we put through the combines............therefore we will no longer have flax in the rotation. Twice now we’ve had catastrophic failure when combining flax!!!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Stripper header for flax would make it a non issue. Still need a big cleaning area with a stripper header. I think the s670 have a fairly small shoe compared to the 2016 and new s680

·
Registered
386 Posts
Wads of flax are the most damaging crop we put through the combines............therefore we will no longer have flax in the rotation. Twice now we’ve had catastrophic failure when combining flax!!!
8850CHAMP , how do you manage the flax straw after the stripper header. Wind row it and bale it? I used to grow flax for many years but quit because of poor markets close by and was frustrated with the straw and damages to the windrower and combines.
Also I noticed your distance to the nearest dealer ,so I see why you want to do some work yourself. I agree the S670 has a much better track record than S680. Its the 680 engine that scares me, Even the John Deere mechanics know it can be a time bomb. Not sure why a lot of the rods end up going thru the engine block. Have you Done any engine work yet on it. That would be at least a 60-70 thousand dollar job! Yikes! You think your saving money keeping it.!
Penny wise , Pound foolish!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Flax is the most rewarding and fulfilling commoditie to grow on my farm. When you nail it and the stars line up it feels like a grand slam. Best ROI for the last 2 yrs here.
20190727_053739.jpg

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Stripper header for flax would make it a non issue. Still need a big cleaning area with a stripper header. I think the s670 have a fairly small shoe compared to the 2016 and new s680
Is it though? I thought they were the same with the exception of the front chaffer extension which we removed from day one. I'll have to do some more thorough research on that. I agree on your cleaning area point though.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
8850CHAMP , how do you manage the flax straw after the stripper header. Wind row it and bale it? I used to grow flax for many years but quit because of poor markets close by and was frustrated with the straw and damages to the windrower and combines.
Also I noticed your distance to the nearest dealer ,so I see why you want to do some work yourself. I agree the S670 has a much better track record than S680. Its the 680 engine that scares me, Even the John Deere mechanics know it can be a time bomb. Not sure why a lot of the rods end up going thru the engine block. Have you Done any engine work yet on it. That would be at least a 60-70 thousand dollar job! Yikes! You think your saving money keeping it.!
Penny wise , Pound foolish!
Seed into it with disc drill without too many issues. On our bourgault it still manages to wrap a little bit around the hub though. I think a JD drill would probably go though it with less wrapping, but haven't proven that so may be wrong. I seed between rows which I think helps the wrapping issue as well.

I've changed the water pump, but besides that only engine work is a few emission system related issues. I'm losing a little coolant and I can't figure out where. Could be EGR cooler or headgasket, but banking on the cooler being shot. Like you said they aren't famous for being a durable or long lasting engine, so who knows when something is going to happen.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts