The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many separator hours is too many for a super series? Who on here has the highest hours on their s7/s9

·
Registered
124 Posts
How many separator hours is too many for a super series? Who on here has the highest hours on their s7/s9
I've got around 2700 on my 77 I would make sure the cage is in good shape and if I bought a high hour machine would do all the major bearings PTO,mains,accelerator, header drives feeder house shafts and drums . And check all oils for metal there are known issues in the transmissions fairly inexpensive fix if caught in time mine has done a lot of work and is still a remarkably tight machine I'm kind of looking for a fixer upper and this is what I would plan on doing
Tím

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok
I looked at a super 7 that had been harvesting rice, it was fitted with a stainless clean grain elevator. Rice is known for being very hard on machines
I’m looking to harvest wheat barley chickpeas and canola
How long could you expect the rotor and cage to last if mainly doing wheat?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Still many variables. Here in wheat and chickpeas don't expect much over 500 hours in oem. They don't chrome the outside and it will wear outside in and the chrome comes right off. We have a local chrome outfit that will extend the life 10 times oem. You have to pay for it though and weigh the costs.

Here are inside and outside shots of our cage with under 500 hours.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Glenn, that's really something! At that rate could you even get 1000 hrs out of a cage? And here I thought dry beans were rough....

·
Registered
539 Posts
Glenn, that's really something! At that rate could you even get 1000 hrs out of a cage? And here I thought dry beans were rough....
I just bought a couple of S77's with 2500 sep. hrs. on them and they still look really good, our S97 has 400 sep. hrs. and still no wear at all.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Our area is extremely abrasive. Volcanic ash along with 100-160 bushel wheat is amassing what it eats up. The original cage wouldn't make it 1000 hours. It also doesn't matter the color. Red and green are about same lifespan. Move about 50 miles and it isn't an issue but yields are lower also. The cages comes out of the 7, 8, and 9 series combines after one year for a better chrome job.That stops the wear. Two years and the original cage would need to be replaced. Two cages have been replaced with less than 600 hours each over the years because there was nothing left. l was just looking at the S78 today as I was cleaning it out for the trip to our shop and no wear showing after 3 years on a good chrome job.

Here was the S98 last winter after one year with the cage out for a better chrome job inside and outside on the cage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice machine Glenn
I wish I had one, got to love the transverse design. They really thought about it and made it easy to work on. I guess the crops here In Australia are not nearly as big so everything lasts a bit longer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don’t know how many hours is too many for others but I will likely trade my S88 at about 3,000 sep hours. I bought new and am just over 2,000 hours now.

I harvest corn and soybeans. It has had over 2 million bushels of corn and soybeans through it. The cage shows very little wear.

I categorize my repairs into a couple groups: 1) wear items...things like cylinder bars, feeder chains, accelerator rolls, etc... and 2) break downs...things due to design flaw or quality control. I’m very satisfied with repair expenses in wear item category. I really doubt any other combine design could harvest for less $ in the wear item category. As for the second category, it’s been more aggravating than I like. There were things like transmission problem with thrust washers and multiple sets of accelerator roll timing gears that were not hardened that are disappointing but I know other brands have issues like that too....of course that is no excuse for poor quality control!

I’m not scared to put some hours on a Gleaner and besides it being a well designed machine I have an excellent dealership (well stocked with parts and good techs) close by.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts