The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2166 this fall, from a 1440 and keep getting this s1 error code when I hook the 1020 head up. I'm following the book I think. I hook everything up and then cycle the key, then drop the head all the way for a few seconds, then raise it and it stops on its way up like it says it will. After in continues to raise all the way up the s1 appears. The book says that it doesn't recognize the potentiameter. Does this mean it is bad, or what. I don't see any pinched wires. Doesn't the nob need to be all the way to the right? I even tried an old one off of neighbors head and didn't matter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
193 Posts
From ASIST:

Symptom :
S1 error code displays in A-post and AHHC does not function

Cause :
The header potentiometer is faulty or misadjusted

Resolution :
Check the header potentiometer for proper operation

Checking Header Height Potentiometer:
NOTE: Perform the following voltage checks only if the AHHC system is malfunctioning. If the pot
is set correctly, these checks should not be necessary.
A. The height pot. has only a 1 20° effective range. When the flat of the shaft is lined up
with the locating pin, the effective range is f 60°. Over this range, the resistance range is
0 to 1000 ohms.
B. When connected to the header, the header fully down, and the key switch on, the
voltage from wire “B” to chassis ground should be > 1.5 volts. When the header is off the
ground, the voltage should be < 6.5 volts. The difference between the two readings must
be 2.0 volts minimum.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Last year at the end of season I failed to disconnect POT wire when removing head and pulled red wire out before I got stopped. Finished last 30 acers on float. Repaired wire and now AHHC will not work.

I have fought this problem all day today. New pot installed and adjusted many different ways. When i try to CAL by cycling the key and dropping head holding for 2 sec. and then raising it picks up the error when it pauses 15" above the ground.

Thanks for your post I will check the voltage on B wire as you advise. Any other help appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called the dealer this morning. Come to find out since head and machine were not from same place, they were different vintage. If you have a 1020 that isn't set up for a 2100 or later machine, you have to have a different pot., and mounting bracket. I thought they were all the same, now I know. The dealer didn't tell me about different bracket until I put new pot and still was at a loss. I've followed this combine forum for a lot of info and have never heard anyone mention this. Hope it helps someone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I knew about the dif. POT's as my 20' head is a 2001 model and my 2166 is a 1997 model. I just came from the combine and my grey arm on the POT does not go over 1/2 way up at anytime.

The volts on the blue wire are 4.8 with grey arm pointed back and head up and .25 with arm pointed back and head down.

When I flip the grey arm to point forward there are .078 volts with head down and .738 with head up.

I thing I need to adjust the cable so the arm goes over 1/2 way up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
After adjusting the POT flat bracket all the way down.
I did note that the computer picked up the error when the head hit the ground rather than when the head came off the ground 15".

Started raining here so will continue tomorrow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the POT on backwards! The sensor on the POT is not in the center of the flat iron bracket. POT needs to be mounted so sensor is forward of center.

I could get the proper volt readings with the grey lever pointed back but not with it pointed forward. I turned the POT around and problem solved.

Striker782 I'll buy you a steak if you send me your mailing address!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts