The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with the s41's on my 560c Challenger and I thought I would ask you Gleaner guys what you thought of this. 2 years ago I broke the axle mounting ring off the axle on the right hand side. Replaced with a s42. I just broke the left side the other day. Same deal axle ring breaks off inside the lug bolt circle. Once again replaced with a s42. Agco says they do not have a problem. Combine is a '12 with 1050 engine hrs. 620x70x42 duals. Outside tire 10 psi less than inside. Any idea what is going on here? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Tyre with less pressure has more grip as much larger effective contact area than higher pressure inside tyre.
When turning, outside tyre will try to drag inside tyre but that one is carrying more load, something has to give.

Keep all tyres at same pressure to share load evenly. or remove duals.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it broke at the radius I guess. You can see convex and concave mounting/centering area all the way around where the 2 peices were put together and then welded or fused somehow. Can't really tell how they were joined.

Tire pressure. I was always told and Agco reccomends lower pressure on the outside dual but maybe your on to something. I don't know.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
These photos are from 2017 and 2018 on a S77. I also have 620/70x42 duals and run 28 psi inner and 20 psi in the outer tires. Why can’t Agco be like everyone else and move their planetary out so axles is centred between duals. They will do it when some unfortunate sole is roading down the highway and breaks one and kills a few people. When they break it’s a instant 90 degree turn to direction of travel. When your roading I wouldn’t take it out of second gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
I can't imagine that stub shaft isn't one piece. Hard to imagine that breaking so true like that but i don't think it is a two piece manufactured part "put" together. Maybe the smart new engineers have better ways? NOT!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Snipe's post showed while I was typing....at least they are consistant! Wonder how Glenn gets by on those slopes cutting wheat.Don't remember him busting one but don't know how he avoids it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Looks like it breaks right where the step is cut for the centering of the wheel. Is it a sharp 90 deree cut into the corner of that cut? If there isnt a nice radiused smooth transition that is a major stress riser spot. Always used to break axles on circle track car running stock axles. Same type of deal sharp edge and always broke there. Started smoothing and polishing that out with a die grinder and flap wheel and never had one fail after that. Crank shafts, same deal when grinding them. But also agree on the design and wheel dish. That is a insane amount of leverage. Kind of amazing there isnt more failures. After looking at our s78 i see they also have a step machined on the back side that is pry straight across from the one on the other side. Id be willing to bet this is what is leading to the problem.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't imagine that stub shaft isn't one piece. Hard to imagine that breaking so true like that but i don't think it is a two piece manufactured part "put" together. Maybe the smart new engineers have better ways? NOT!!
If it is not 2 pieces they break at a perfect concave/convex line. I still say it is 2 pieces put together somehow.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like it breaks right where the step is cut for the centering of the wheel. Is it a sharp 90 deree cut into the corner of that cut? If there isnt a nice radiused smooth transition that is a major stress riser spot. Always used to break axles on circle track car running stock axles. Same type of deal sharp edge and always broke there. Started smoothing and polishing that out with a die grinder and flap wheel and never had one fail after that. Crank shafts, same deal when grinding them. But also agree on the design and wheel dish. That is a insane amount of leverage. Kind of amazing there isnt more failures. After looking at our s78 i see they also have a step machined on the back side that is pry straight across from the one on the other side. Id be willing to bet this is what is leading to the problem.
After looking at mine some more I think what you are seeing on the backside is actually a milled down weld that holds the pieces together. I think there is a convex on the axle that mates to a partial concave on the ring that centers everything and is veed out and welded then the top of the weld is milled flat. It looks like mine has poor penetration which is probably the problem along with the leverage.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
That almost looks like 2 pieces.
Good quality cast iron the machine shop welded for me here a MF 851 gearbox multi v output pulley.
Famous for coming loose and cracking.
Welded with mig.
Looked good lasted many years.
Never broke.

·
Registered
597 Posts
After looking at mine some more I think what you are seeing on the backside is actually a milled down weld that holds the pieces together. I think there is a convex on the axle that mates to a partial concave on the ring that centers everything and is veed out and welded then the top of the weld is milled flat. It looks like mine has poor penetration which is probably the problem along with the leverage. Posted by ks8780

I think you are right ! years ago we had a main wheel rim explode on a "G" Gleaner due to the weld being a bit off to one side of the joint. Looked good, nicely milled off, but really only the paint and a bit of weld holding it together. You should have seen the operator run when she blew !!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Snipe's post showed while I was typing....at least they are consistant! Wonder how Glenn gets by on those slopes cutting wheat.Don't remember him busting one but don't know how he avoids it.
We have never had one break outside like that. All our issues over the years have been internal. We run outer tire 2 psi less because we need stability on hills. We also run 24.5x32 bias tires. We tried 620x38 tires but they wouldn't work on the hillsides and the taller tires were even worse so a bigger diameter plus the grip of the radial tire could compound the problems. Here is a picture of the tires with spacer to hold dual plus an elk shed that missed the tire plus the deer shed that found the outside tire on the same round and showing the height of the tire. Then our conditions where we don't want something like that happening. Hope that doesn't happen again to anybody.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
I looked at our 540C today & has a nice rounded radius on the outside but machined squared on the inside. Can't wait for this problem!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
It would be worth a try to pull the wheel and spin the axle while skinning the sharp corner with an angle grinder with a rounded edge. Even a little undercut at that point would be better than the sharp corner.There'd still be enough pilot left to locate rim.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts