The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A neighbor of mine just picked up a 28' shelborne to run on his S550. The wheat around here is starting to lodge and am wondering if he has the HP to run that header in severely lodged crop or the HP to run that 28' stripper in a 60+ bushel wheat crop. I read that the S660-70 are low on power when compared to their predecessors. Whats the word on the class 5?

·
Registered
257 Posts
The "low on horsepower" complaints stem from two things on the S6xx machines.....the tuning of the it4 motor and the increased weight. The S550 has neither of these. With the replacement of the 6.8L motor with the 9.0L in the S550 you pick up the VGT and more torque. While I'm sure that machine will have its hands full I'd venture to say it will be able to do the job, sometimes at a slower pace however. I do know a large farmer that does lots of irrigated wheat that runs 36 foot stripers on 3 S660's and seems to get along in similar conditions.
I didn't think they ever put the 9.0L in the s550. Are refering to the new s650, which does inherit the weight issues of the other large s machines.

·
Super Moderator
5,151 Posts
A neighbor of mine just picked up a 28' shelborne to run on his S550. The wheat around here is starting to lodge and am wondering if he has the HP to run that header in severely lodged crop or the HP to run that 28' stripper in a 60+ bushel wheat crop. I read that the S660-70 are low on power when compared to their predecessors. Whats the word on the class 5?
Adequate header drive would be my bigger concern.

BTW, that's a pretty dog in your avatar.:)

·
Super Moderator
5,151 Posts
Do the stripper heads take that much power to turn? I only know one guy who has one and he ran it with an '03 9760 with regular variable feeder drive so it can't be that bad, not like a chopping corn head.
It can take quite a bit of power on lodged crop but I also doubt it would draw power like a chopping corn head based on the zero knowledge I have of chopping corn heads.;)
My only comparison is with a draper header (not much power requirement) and a pickup header (hardly any).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.