The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is room in the rams for it to turn more. turned the wheel stops in and it won't hit them. only turns to where the stops were. our r65 has the bolts out of the stops and turns on a dime. What else can be adjusted.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ours didn't either. we removed the turn stop bolts. We also have stops to keep each side of the axle from going up too high. Just make sure the wheels can't get into anything either up or down or side to side. It now turns better than any gleaner we have had. I think our rear tires have 4 corn rows running between them. Maybe its six.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has this machine always done this or has somebody done something to the rear axle?
I am wondering if the steering cylinder plates are mounted properly on the axle with the proper amount of holes showing for your tire size.
This is in the operators manual on how many holes should be showing. I am attaching a photo of the hole spacing to show my meaning. We space ours wider for the hills we run on. If this is incorrect where the plates are mounted it will cause the problem you are talking. They have to be the same on both sides. Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Let me do that question again, had a 14 month child helping while typing. Sorry

Does it steer fine while setting static. Are both sides set the same?
I will check the manual for you to see what I can fins for you. I hope this question makes more sense.

·
Registered
175 Posts
We had an R72 with the same problem. We relocated the cylinder mounting brackets on the axle so the cylinders could use more of the ram stroke, and it made a huge difference. My guess is someone has adjusted the wheel tread, but neglected to change the cylinder mounts.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Might pay to stand back and watch what is happening when you turn sharp, it puts a lot of stress on the axle and wheels. Old N6 near here put her head through the fence twice when axle failed after a lot of hard turns. Would have harvested a lot of acres in the time spent fixing it. Slower and longer turns may be quicker in the long run.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
We move all axles out enough to be able to adjust MAX steer move the steering cylinders out the same amount plus move bolts to other holes provided to move them that extra 1.5". Then remove the steering stop bolts completely. Steer completely one way then the other and spindle should just clear the threaded hole. If not loosen jam nut on steering cylinder shaft and turn shaft accordingly. Have not broke any spindles for thirty years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.