The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discovered the pre cleaner on the sieves was plugged with beards and junk on both machines. Not sure how long it was like that but would explain a few issues we were having including fan speed variation on the one machine that just started in some canola before we got rained out last week.

Anyone have experience with that and know what causes this issue. Also what kind of loss would we have experienced while this condition went unnoticed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,764 Posts
You went through something green and sticky.Dandelion leaves, Sow Thistle, Canada Thistle, anything that has a juicy stem or leaves. Plugs off precleaner and holds on to beards from wheat and barley. Have had the same problem with my neighbors 9770 and now his S690. Worst part on the 9770 was that he pushed so much green weeds through it that he had the pre cleaner, part of the chaffer, and even the loss monitors plugged off. His hired man was running according to the loss monitors and they showed very little loss.


These are pictures from the first time he had it happen back in 2012 with his 9770

Strip where we dropped straw for baling
Sky Natural environment Horizon Plain Atmospheric phenomenon


Loss monitor started to drop so hired man increased speed to run at same loss levels as when we were dropping straw
Sky Natural environment Atmospheric phenomenon Cloud Morning


Loss monitor just registering loss once in a while, but running at 100% power
Sky Atmospheric phenomenon Grassland Plain Field


All that from cutting through a water run that had some thistle, dandelion and hemp nettle in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think the loss was from the pre cleaner being plugged or pushing machine too hard not knowing there was loss or both. I'm afraid we did quite a few acres with plugged pre cleaner. Not feeling very good about that right now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking at yield data now. Monitors were calibrated fairly good. Combines didn't run side by side very often due to sloughs. Will look at raw data to see if I can find differences. Nothing I can do about it now but ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,764 Posts
In our case, the loss was from both. Plugged loss monitors, showing little to no loss, combined with a plugged precleaner, and the old 9770 was shoveling nice wheat through the straw chopper pretty hard. Places I gave up counting at 300 plants per square foot,......My lawn wasn't that thick.

It is a sick feeling to see a field come up that green and have to go in and work it the second time to try to control a volunteer crop of wheat that thick when the field is suppose to go into canola the next year. It is just as sick a feeling to go out and count plants, and find out that you are pitching 10 bushel / acre out the back of the combine and not know it.

Like you said Bobrock, Nothing you can do about it now, but like I always say, education is expensive, you always pay to learn. Hopefully the rest of your harvest has gone trouble free.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top