The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used s670 and got it going today in the last of our beans . Machine ran awesome and seemed to work perfect. While unloading though something makes a grinding or scraping noise off and on in a pattern until cross augers get uncovered on far side then noise is gone?? It was dark already so I will look in morning, but just wondered if someone's experienced this before??

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Check the timing and no slack in the vertical up auger. Have heard splines letting go and timing getting out. Might suggest to take off drive chain and spin over when empty cross augers and unloading auger and see if you can locat noise

·
Registered
68 Posts
Check there's no restrictions inside the out loading auger. Had snails in peas and the crud built up in the auger reducing flow and had to unload at mid -low idle otherwise chain would skip. 50 tonne of wheat later all clear and back to normal.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Sounds like the cross augers may be jamming in more beans than the unload auger can handle. Try lowering the cross auger covers a hole or two.
We ALWAYS lower the covers when doing peas, lentils also. Unplugging the unload auger is not fun, it unloads a bit slower but is a whole lot faster than wasting a day unplugging auger! The first few loads are never a problem but as you found out once the crap builds up you stand a real chance of plugging.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Thanks for posting these issues farmerjones. You kind of lost me. Is it the splines on the shaft of the gear box? Or the bevel gears inside the gearbox? Or have they changed. Haven't changed one on a 60 or 70 yet. The last one I changed was on a 97 cts which was basically the same as an 77/8820

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mud and debris can pack in the hole for the wires to pass through C—Frame. When turning the machine the wires can bind and tear.
A strain relief has been installed on new parts to ensure enough wire slack between C—Frame and solenoid for steering

·
Registered
252 Posts
Have you noticed all the parts made in China creeping onto John Deere products? Back in the good old days John Deere made machinery with reliability as the most important aspect, cost and profit be dammed. Around 2001-2003 they made a shift in their philosophy to shareholders being more important than quality. I was working in the financial world then and remember the news release coming across my desk. I will look for it, might still have it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I lost a vertical unloading auger on a new S690 this year as well. The machine had around 212 seperator hours. Absolutely no warning at all. I had a full load of soybeans.

We examined the 90* gear box down shaft and it was fine. Slapped a new auger in and picked up a hooper full of beans. Ready to roll again. The splines in the top of the auger stripped smooth out.

·
Registered
683 Posts
We have a lower hour 9870. I don't know as we will move on to the S series from everything I've heard here. We've been Deere since they made pull type 36 Hillside machines. One reason we stayed was their quality over other brands. Its sad to see it end. So where now? Claas? CIH? Not going NH as their service here is TERRIBLE.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The vertical unload auger has a fix as fail pip for the S series. Before you tighten the lower gearbox bolts you are supposed to run the auger at idle to align the splines. If you noticed the gearbox flange on the s series does not have a tapered front lip like the 70 series did. I'm wondering if there is an alignment issue. We are putting new augers in all the combines that have the pip during seasonal inspections.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The vertical unload auger has a fix as fail pip for the S series. Before you tighten the lower gearbox bolts you are supposed to run the auger at idle to align the splines. If you noticed the gearbox flange on the s series does not have a tapered front lip like the 70 series did. I'm wondering if there is an alignment issue. We are putting new augers in all the combines that have the pip during seasonal inspections.
How would one know which combines have the pip? My S670 unloading auger has been doing fine but I've noticed a roar lately that seems louder then before. I have greased the fitting every 100 hours or so because the 9750STS I had before gave me problems in that area as the bearing went out twice in about 2000 seperator hours. (Didn't know there was a grease fitting until bearings went out first time)

·
Registered
163 Posts
farmerjones, I've experienced the park brake pressure problem everyday since it got cold back in early October on both my machines. Warning goes away after things warm up. What did they do to fix yours? New sensor?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Back to the grinding noise.... It could be the unloading auger chain hanging and grinding on the shield. It will get slack with a lot of dumping, fairly quickly. Needs a few turns on idler spring.
I even had to take a link out and before long it was dragging again. Makes a terrible racket.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.