The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our farm bought 3 S680s in the past 2 years. Upgrades from 9770s, all with 8 row chopping. I can't get the loss out the back to satisfy me and I assume the reason is my head isn't large enough for the machine? We run a 16 row multiple planter strip til system and a 12 row head wouldn't work. Would I be better to buy a 16 row geringhoff rota disc? (Been wanting a rota disc for awhile anyway. Wondering if anyone was running one and if they like it. It's a 2012 680. Also curious if I should put in the CM Welding concave insert kit as well? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I would expect your loss issues will be worse as you will likely pushing the sieve and the rotor or it's limits with the 16 row. I got to run the Deere 16 row on a s690 a couple years ago and loved the head. The combine did have higher losses than I am used to but I'm not an expert in setting a jd combine. Corn was 130-140 bushels 17% moisture.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are a couple local farmers who have bought geringhoff and really like them, I like the combination. Not necessarily need a geringhoff would still have interest in a deere. I have been told by many people that I need a larger head. Just wanting feedback on if a 16 row will actually work or not in high yielding corn.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im not sure of your situation or how much power loss is involved with the chopping heads, but i rode for a whole day with one of my best friends in his 680 with a 12 row geringhoff head and i was absolutely amazed at the machine. I would never consider a 8 row head for a 680 after riding with him. my 9670 could handle a 12 row but not nearly his speeds. they were running 6mph at ALL times and as fast as 7mph a few times picking exactly 200bu on a 1000ac farm. they were running that 680 and a 9870 both with 12 row geringhoffs and they 680 would out pick the dogs**t out of the 9870. the 680 wasn't even close to being full capacity and honestly it wanted more. Never would have thought how much more production it had over the 9870. they 98 was running about 4 mph. Also they were non chopping heads but it looked like it was cut off with a pair of scissors whereas my 9670 and john deere head at 5.5mph can't cut it as good at the higher speeds. Very impressed with the 680 and 12 row geringhoff and defiantly would recommend a 16 row corn head (I'm sure you'd lose power though with chopper and have to slow down) if i thought i could keep it hauled away. Thats only reason they don't upgrade to another 680 because they wouldn't be able to keep them both going. They pick 45,000bu a day with those two combines in one day.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I completely agree with that I am losing money and fuel with the 8 row. I can't pick fast enough. I am working on a deal with either a Deere 16 stalk master or Geringhoff rota disc. Anyone drive both? Both are 2013 models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
20-30% more sieved area than the 70 series makes for a lot more grain to be swallowed up. Intelligent power managent with the Deere head makes for better chopping head performance. The productivity per hour and the depreciation per hour on a S680 with an 8 row head would be a money loosing proposition in our area, along with fuel consumption.

No more IMP (Intelligent Power Management) for S Series Combines.. It ended with the 70 series... and was only available on the 9870.. For S Series combines.. that's where the S690 fit in.. Extra HP for bigger heads, and chopping heads..

Hopefully they will let you demo both heads... Interested to see how it turns out..

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
We use 4 AXE38025 separator grates. They are called corn cob mix grates and they do a great job decreasing rotor loss. Almost every machine in our area use them. There is a disrupter that can be bolted in also. Also we pull the pre-cleaner extensions out of all 9870s S680s and S690s. When you pull the pre-cleaner extension you have to take the seive dividers out also. This opens up the cleaning shoe and really allows the chaffer to work. If you have 200+ bu. corn leave the pre-cleaner extension in but I highly recommend the CORN COB MIX grates. And contrary to the name they don't put anymore cob in the tank than the regular grates. The big difference is the bigger opening. Oh and the price. About $4800.00 for a set of 4. Hope this helps but it's what we do in Texas and works great.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
These disrupters are part of a rice enhancment package we used but they work well in all crops and really help with rotor loss without robbing H.P. and they are JD Parts so nothing needs to be modified. The disrupters have been available since the S-series came out. We use them in all crops including 30-60 Bu. winter wheat which we harvest in May, sorgham, corn, rice, and soybeans.When we first started using them everyone was concerned about overloading the cleaning shoe and trashy sample. We haven't had an issue with either. The disrupters will only work with the Corn Cob Mix separator grates.
Disrupters Part Number HXE38180. You unbolt the 1st and 3rd row on the right hand side of the separator grates and bolt these in. We use 8 and that seems to work real well but if you find a better combination let me know. It's easier to put the disrupters in with the grates on the ground. On S680 & S690s it can be a pain to get in behind the rethesher. I usually take the belt that drives the retheshing system off and take the idler pulley and arm off also. There is room to get in behind the thing after that.
One thing that is nice about the corn cob mix grates is they fit everything from a 9660 STS to a S690. So they are also very versatile. We have bought one set and used them on 3 different machines. We just pull the original grates out and put them in the barn and put the CCMs in. Trade or sell a machine just pull the CCMs out and put the originals back in. Hope this helps because it sure made a believer out of me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.