The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I heard New S series are bad for grain loss and fuel consumption. Is this true?
I am probably going to get in trouble for saying this, but.....yes.

If you have an hour to waste you can see my results here: http://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/7-case-ih/188569-2014-combine-demos.html More on grain loss at the end of the thread.

You may be going from first to worst on those two categories. I am sure you have other considerations though.

BTW welcome to the forum!:)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Love our S680 compared to our old 9870. As far as capacity probly about the same and losses the same, but overall comforts of machine and controls are way better in the S series. But yes deere has always been noted for having higher losses in their rotor combines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes and yes but there is a fix for one and maybe for the other...

I currently own a new non urea s680 that I ran half of my corn acres this year... I traded in a 9770..

I have owned a 1470, 2188 CIH 9750 9770 and now my s680..

I cut around 800 of my own and custom cut 2900 acre all irrigated. I am the owner operator of every acre...

The reason I'm telling you this is, I see about every combine I have owned has rotor loss... My red combines needed some rotor work and so do my green ones..

I start cutting in Pasco wa where the wheat averages 130-140 bu. in the valley we grow 120 bu spring wheat. Corn in our area is tall and very high yield. All my combines had rotor loss..

9770 ran around 14 gal per hour at 2.5 miles per hour with a 9-10 acre per hour avg. "30ft hydro flex draper"

9770 in corn.. Avg tons per acre is around 6 ton with a high of 8 all high moisture 25-40%. 14-15 gal per hour at 3. 3.5 miles per hour... 10 to 11 acre hour.. 12 row 612c

S680 is unknown in wheat. Here is the data on corn at avg of 30 percent... Same head 19-20 gal per hour cutting at 4.5 to 5.5 mph. So is the extra fuel worth it?? I always run my combine in harvest smart mode "should be standard" it makes a difference..

The John Deere has no problem thrashing it has a problem separating...

Disruptor lugs are the answer... I use them now and my loss is next to nothing 2-3 colonels per square foot.

Yes I know some are going to say "you should not have to spend money when you buy a 400k combine"... Every condition and every field needs adjusting.. If you don't your fooling yourself..

Why change if your happy, stay... I run green because the service dept is the best... Ask your self the same... Not happy leave... Find the best service.... In any color they all do the job.. Some maybe a little better than other but they all have there gremlins....

Hope this helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
No they help... I was very upset with the 680... 20 to 30 kernels till I put lugs in.. More ground speed...I found them on this forum.... Hxe38180... Look at cmwelding.com watch the video he is dead on in my opinion... I am purchasing a set for next year... Rpr system... Anyone is welcome to come to Wa and ride with me for the haters..... Lol
Hope it helps you

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't think so... Ask.. We just got a claas combine dealer in town is yours a hybrid? I watched it run in a demo and I liked it... It was a 750 hybrid.. What is the problem with your machine... Loss, capacity,, or tired of it???

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Looks like he just needs a tax break? Uncle Sam wants to take too much of his hard earned cash so he trades every 2 years - color not so important!

·
Registered
77 Posts
There should be no appreciable amount of kernels in the separator section. The problem is the round bar concaves. The spacing is too tight, and the round bars do not promote separation, they have a wedge effect and encourage the kernals to stay in the cage. We run 680's in the same NW irrigated conditions. See harvestsolutionsinc.com for the solution. BTW, if you look closely at the disrupters, you will see the similarity to a straw chopper.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.