The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Talked to the local Soucy rep just last week and he said they are testing a new design of tracks that move the center of gravity in closer to the machine by several inches, because of the weight of the S's. They also changed the boogies so they can pivot side to side to equal pressure on them when roading. Should be available in a couple years. We run them on a pair of 9770's, love them but they do put too much pressure on the finals. Kindda like running duals without the inside tire. Dave

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ouch, nasty failure mode for sure! So what "gives" in this scenario? Inner bearing? End of shaft with pre-load features broke off? Looks to me like tracks with the offset put a huge preload on the inboard brg. For outboard to look relatively good and to spit the axle out like depicted, i.e. intact, would anticipate that failure was at/beyond the inboard brg.? Seems like Soucy needs to align the center of pressure that the tracks present to the finals, inboard of the outer bearing, make sense? Current setup seems "way" outboard and is likely stressing the inboard brg., retainer, preload features way too much. Inboard brg is "usually smaller" bearing of the two, at least on the finals I've been into. Tracks have to exert way more torque on finals when turning than large singles or duals. Contact patches for singles/duals are at a way smaller radius (would guess 30-40" effective radius) as opposed to 5-6' of track on the ground. Old Massey, JD, IH, etc. steel tracks used the finals as a sprocket basically. All the torque loads were passed through a sub frame into the original front axle box member. My 2 cents...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.