The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2013 S77. The feeder plugs far too easily in my opinion. I have all the blocks set for grain and I am running it on the high speed setting. I also have the front drum set out as far as it will go to get it to pull material out of the header more aggressively. The problem seems to be at the transition point between the front and rear chains. When it plugs there will be a wad on top of the front chains right under the rear inspection plate. Anyone else run into this and what did you do to help it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the speed sensor is on the rear chain, then no it's not slipping. Running a 4200 pickup header right now. I'm having the trouble in cereals and canola. Everything I have tried makes a slight improvement, but still could be better. Everything was set for corn from the factory, and the guy who ran it last year never changed it. I think he had a stripper head on it, so it probably worked just fine.

·
Registered
133 Posts
We had a S77 and I felt it plugged all too often as well.

A year or two ago there was some talk about removing every other bar on the mid section of the feed chains because it was felt the chain was sort of a "wall of steel" and material wasn't getting grabbed.

In a fairly recent post Dan Hurtt talks about modifying the feed floor. I'm sure that would be the ticket. Note, the modification to the feed floor for the S7 series is not exactly the same as the R series I believe. Better check with him.

I can't give any first hand accounts with the modifications in an S7 series but we did it to our R72 and you have to try really hard to plug the feederhouse now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The corn settings make it worse. The front drum has less travel and it runs slower. I don't have a variable speed drive, so how do I get it up to 500 rpm? I have it on the high speed pulley now and 400 is top end. The dealer already changed it over to what they said was the heavier clutch and it made very little difference.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
The corn settings make it worse. The front drum has less travel and it runs slower. I don't have a variable speed drive, so how do I get it up to 500 rpm? I have it on the high speed pulley now and 400 is top end. The dealer already changed it over to what they said was the heavier clutch and it made very little difference.
My 2013 is 460 rpm in high speed

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So after much trial and error I am running the front blocks on the tall corn setting, the rear ones on the short grain setting, and I pulled every other slat off the center row on the front chains. The feeder floor is the lower one right from the factory, so nothing to change there. It's working much better in cereals now, but still having trouble in canola. I have the front drum set out as far as it goes, but with the extra thickness of the lateral tilt frame the chains don't stick out past the back of the header. I finished combining yesterday, so any more mods will have to wait until next year for testing. I am going to find a different drive pulley to speed it up to 500 rpm and I want to figure out a way to get the front drum another 2 inches out into the header without removing the lateral tilt frame.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Please check recent posts on related issue. I was able to get out to a machine and figure it all out. Punch on my name and then resent posts to more quickly find my posts on subject. Size of swath makes no difference after addressing just what is going on and making adjustments and or mods. I would not move front drum further forward for more than one reason. I'm going to do one more thing not yet mentioned and that would be to allow front drum to float up further. This requires cutting the blocks like rear and removing side shield for drum and cutting 1" off top so shield will clear gussets inside feeder. I like the front drum set to just clear floor when empty and think this is important in many of these small grain crops. No need to change these blocks for other crops in my opinion. I do not think you will find you need to speed up corn varible if you follow up on the mods. Also forget if I had posted that there is a smaller gear available for slowing down the auger in the 4200. I think they have same one on there that the other brands have which have slower drive shafts driving the header. I will look back when I get chance to see if I posted the flighting numbers to extend flighting on the 4200's. I also found a couple 9250's this year in our heavy flat small grains giving trouble with front chain. This requires cutting away dam on side of auger and installing the poly over in knotches in auger flighting. Of course the Honeybee's and MacDons have to have their kits installed to bring straw in beyond the sides of slats . This stuff being right and this feeder will eat monumental amounts of straw with no need for heavy slip clutch or speeding up feeder any more than standard.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The most frustrating part for me is you spend all this money on a new combine. Then have issues with it. There are lots of suggestions for improvement most of which are at our cost be it time or actual dollars. We bought newer equipment to get away from this down time. Why aren't these things set up right before leaving the factory?

·
Registered
522 Posts
So is it possible to send our S77 and S78 to you nddan? Or can you email a detailed list of exactly what to do and how to do it?
What should be done if Agco had a brain is actualy get nddan into western Canada to train local dealer mech's to do these mods for any customer who needs them. There are not that many 77 and 78's in western Canada yet so it is do-able. All gleaners sent to Canada should have these changes done at dealers PDI when they change them over from corn machines. But Gleaners own enginiers would have to eat crow. The feeder house is the only limiting factor on these machines now - and if nddan has a fix Agco needs to look at it - very seriously and quickly - like this winter - not next year or the year after.
The long awaited fix's on the 9500 Massey's seem to be working from what I hear - Far too late for us but if nddan truly has a fix for the only gleaner bottle neck left - Agco please don't fuk around for 3 years like you did on the Massey's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have been running our 13' 9560 with all the updates, starting with damp wheat, then into tough green stem canola, now into 13-17% sunflowers, only downtime was breaking knife on 8200 header cutting green wheat. Maybe it all comes down to dealer, but I think AGCO has got it together when it comes to supporting these Massey combines.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
So is it possible to send our S77 and S78 to you nddan? Or can you email a detailed list of exactly what to do and how to do it?
What should be done if Agco had a brain is actualy get nddan into western Canada to train local dealer mech's to do these mods for any customer who needs them. There are not that many 77 and 78's in western Canada yet so it is do-able. All gleaners sent to Canada should have these changes done at dealers PDI when they change them over from corn machines. But Gleaners own enginiers would have to eat crow. The feeder house is the only limiting factor on these machines now - and if nddan has a fix Agco needs to look at it - very seriously and quickly - like this winter - not next year or the year after.
The long awaited fix's on the 9500 Massey's seem to be working from what I hear - Far too late for us but if nddan truly has a fix for the only gleaner bottle neck left - Agco please don't fuk around for 3 years like you did on the Massey's.
Good idea, check with Ag World they used to keep up with Dans modifications.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The most frustrating part for me is you spend all this money on a new combine. Then have issues with it. There are lots of suggestions for improvement most of which are at our cost be it time or actual dollars. We bought newer equipment to get away from this down time. Why aren't these things set up right before leaving the factory?
Exactly my thoughts too. I am running 36' swathers in a heavy crop, and it's not like most guys haven't gone to bigger swathers and straight cut headers.. Why put all this capacity behind a feeder that can't handle a decent sized swath.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I no I'm not in the same world as you guy's, but down here in Mississippi we have some really tough, tall green steam soybeans that are tough as nails. My S78 with a 40 ft. dyna flex can handle any thing the header can put to it. It never choked the feeder all fall, the engine will pull down first. I have zero problem with that small feeder.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.