The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is best cylinder speed and concave setting for north dakota corn, seems to brake corn up to much, anybody see on high speed chopper blades wear to much on inside, just like older combines did,how much better will it work with corn chaffer??

·
Registered
777 Posts
What is best cylinder speed and concave setting for north dakota corn, seems to brake corn up to much, anybody see on high speed chopper blades wear to much on inside, just like older combines did,how much better will it work with corn chaffer??
I run my rotor speed at 250 rpm. Set concave to slightly less than your cobb diameter. I cut off every other rotor discharge paddle and now have even wear on the chopper knives. A corn chaffer will give you better cleaning with more capacity.

How good is your corn and what size header are you using?

·
Registered
94 Posts
In the S78 we ran the Rotor at 300, concave wide open 1.5, air 7, seives 18/16. The corn was 12 ft tall, 250 bu+, but we could still find a little cob in the tank. The cob was very spongy, but the corn was 22 to 26%. We could not find any corn left on the cob on the ground. 8 Row Drago, at 5.3 mph was at 100% engine load and no corn on the ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Love our drago. On our 3rd one now Before that ran geringhoff for ten years almost. Just was to much head shelling and cobs bouncing out with it. I'll take a reduction in chopping quality for more grain in bin. That's what I seen on this farm, with hybrids we use.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you are harvesting high moisture corn it should be hopefully a huge plus. While running in irrigated corn 32% to 26% at 250 bu we could run out of shoe capacity and peg out the grain loss monitor. Running yesterday with air at 7 in 22% to 26% it was not a factor we could make the feeder house slip due to all the corn coming in and 100% engine load. I will say at 100% engine load our RPM did not fall off. It is amazing how much power was left and fuel usage maxed out at 14.5 gal/hr. The Drago had has been an awesome head thus far, it is very noticeable if you are currently running a hugger head, with the hugger you will see a good portion of the stalk going through the combine. With the Drago all you see if the ear corn in the husk going through. This would help a R Series combine with capacity.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I am on my second year with an 8row Drago. Last year i had mixed feelings but think it just happened to be the year. Looking back i think my hugger head would have been really bad last year with head loss. This year however i feel i made the correct decision purchasing a new Drago for last year. Had a couple of my custom people tell me they love the head and when you can them to be satisfied thats a good thing.
The only problem i have is near dusk in under 19% corn with fluffy dry leaf build up not feeding into the head, but this problem was a little worse on my hugger.
What i love is what is does to the stalks. a day or two later and the stalks have not stood back up like that of the competition and would also happen a little with the hugger.

All and all very satisfied with the head.

i cant say much about the settings for high moisture corn but the settings for my S67 are 190-200 rotor .7-1.0 concave(depending on cob size) air 7 chaffer 16 (if bph are 2600 and above) seive wide open. i have found with my machine if i open concave to much my rotor loss goes crazy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.