The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is fuel usage considerably more on a 780, or is the bushels per gal the same on the 2. Wondering if throughput is that much more to even out fuel usage, on a s780 more availability on 780 vs 770

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
A 13.5L is going to consume significantly more fuel than a 9.0, no two ways about it. Everything else is entirely dependent on header size, ground speed, crop type, etc. I'm sorry I don't have hard numbers for you to compare. I'm simply repeating what my customers have reported to me.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A 13.5L is going to consume significantly more fuel than a 9.0, no two ways about it. Everything else is entirely dependent on header size, ground speed, crop type, etc. I'm sorry I don't have hard numbers for you to compare. I'm simply repeating what my customers have reported to me.
That's fine I know a 13.5 l harder we run a 9770 and and a 9870, but the 770 I see is close to 400 hp now not 360hp like the 9770

·
Registered
383 Posts
Ran a s680 with beside s670 (2014 -391 rated horespower 449 with boost) same chopper and spreader,in 112 to 122 bushel very heavy lodged,lots of straw swathed barley.Machines going same speed all day going faster just put barley out the back,neither machine stopped all day,filled with fuel both machines in the morning till fuel nozzle clicked,filled again in the evening till nozzle clicked s680 used 95 liters more and both machines harvested same amount of acers.That was in 2020 when crops were excellent here.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ran a s680 with beside s670 (2014 -391 rated horespower 449 with boost) same chopper and spreader,in 112 to 122 bushel very heavy lodged,lots of straw swathed barley.Machines going same speed all day going faster just put barley out the back,neither machine stopped all day,filled with fuel both machines in the morning till fuel nozzle clicked,filled again in the evening till nozzle clicked s680 used 95 liters more and both machines harvested same amount of acers.That was in 2020 when crops were excellent here.
Thanks sounds like a no Brainer to look for a 770.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I sure this wouldn't be the case in all areas of the country because of conditions and weather at harvest or hilly ground with steep hills...,but our area of the country it is a no brainer to go with a s770 if you have to choose between a s780 or 770.

·
Registered
316 Posts
We just traded for a new S780 going from a S770. In our area with soybeans and corn and the rolling hills we decided we need the extra horsepower. We will know more after next harvest season.
the big reason for the sizing up is when trying to unload on the go we had to slow way down going up any little incline as we ran out of horsepower.
it will be very interesting to see how many gallons per acre difference it will be between the two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts