The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
what crops will you be doing with it? Wheat only, or others?

I think you will get a biased answer here, but it is biased for a reason IMO.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Pros
No Adblue
5 ton lighter
Less maintenance
Starving pheasants
Best quality grain and losses
Easy to set up and run
Cons
Resale value
Dealer network
No doubt this will start a bashing competition
Agree with ya on all that accept on resale value. bigiron suprised me last week when a 10' claas with 535 hours and a 07' R series with 1880 sep hours were being sold on the same sale. They sold within 6 grand of each other. $3 corn is going to bring about alot of change.
http://www.bigiron.com/cgi-bin/mnarclist.cgi?bigiron/20140910/category/COMBINES

·
Registered
613 Posts
Never have been a big fan of the unload system on tne silver sided pheasant feeders. Makes it tough with a cart on the roll doesnt it?
Not a problem with the new longer augers that have a lot more reach than the older combines. We have no problems on our rolling terrain and steep hillsides of the PNW of loading carts on the go. The current unload system just makes others seem really slow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We have a Guy here who has a cr with a MAV chopper/spreader. Excellent job. We run a 26t chaser so auger length is important. Don't like cold sweats. lol
WE are harvesting lupins Canola wheat oats and barley. Mainly wheat and barley.
Many thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
549 Posts
We run a S78, love it, only complaint is the unloader. With a 40 ft. head it comes up 2 ft. short to get in the big carts to fill them all the way full without getting really close to the cart tire. Two ft. longer and it's the best unloader on the market hands down. 35 ft. header, then problem solved. Stock, it's a good machine, with a few changes it becomes a great machine. I have no problem spreading straw 40 ft. and the cab is way quieter than the new deere's. Go with the S88, then set it up right and blow the door's off everything else.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Unless you have a very good Gleaner dealer close by, I would stick with yellow, green or red simply as they have in most parts of Australia a superior parts and dealer network...On a place I used to manage that harvested 50-100 thousand acres of cereals I would see a big variety of harvesters arrive each year , nearly every year a contractor would arrive with a big lexion or gleaner and say they are going to set the world on fire with acres harvested. Funny thing is though each year when the acres were tallied up the guys with the red , green or yellow consistently harvested more..
Second hand harvesters are a hard product to move at the moment and gleaners definitely don't attract a premium...I am not dissing Gleaners as I think between all combines they all have their pros and cons re features, back up and resale is where the other brands mention exceed....Total headers sales in Australia tell the story I say. Cheers

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
All comments made have valid points. Agco Australia in my opinion is so Massey focused that Gleaner does not get it due justice. Machines can be badly set up and that's where you need a good dealer who knows what their doing and you will have a great machine.
My S67 had a plastic spout on the unloader off a JD or Case ( was on it when I got it ) and had 100mm adaptor for it and it had good reach. I will soon see how it compares to the S78 so if its no good I know what to do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Between Beverley and Quairading in wa. Silver rod Im interested in how you go. Loved our old girl. BACKUP whoever said agco is massey orientated is soooo correct. We have a fendt and love it, no gurus here same with the Gleaner. Just bought a cr9090, 45ft macdon. Backup from case and nh for the front, and 3 NH dealers around us. back up is king. How do you guys go for fuel tank capacity? We were covering up to 140ha per day and around 880L Diesel in the cr9070. 3t wheat. up to 45t/hr constant, no going silly in good country and crop. Can we expect the same from a S88? Broad elevator worries me, width wise. Macdon front would be prefered as we need some give. harvesting non familiar country. All macihines have there weakness. Be nice to combine all Harvesters to have a Real top unit.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Love the 78. Didn't play with it last year ( Reverse bars etc.) It wasn't a big capacity year but I was happy. Had no trouble keeping up with 8120 in canola and used 30l less fuel and did a better job.
If I get time I want to do a few things for this year. I would imagine a S88 and a 9070 a mismatch

·
Registered
259 Posts
if gleaner had support rather than 30 years of trying to bury the brand they would be the top choice of combines. I have not owned any combine but the gleaner but when I look at the others knowing I will be the one working on it I can't figure out what all the extra parts are for..... with that said I have a s78 I am happy with grain loss and sample but It uses more fuel than the r75 I had and it has had more than it's share of problems right out of the gate and I am glad it is under warranty and agco thinks they will fix it but that don't mean much when you are sitting at the edge of a field with the hood up when you should be harvesting!!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
It is tough to beat a Gleaner. Look at the sides of a Gleaner, then look at the sides of a New Holland, tell me which one you want to work on. Having said that, we went from a Gleaner, to a New Holland for this year, but that is a whole other story. As far as the unloading auger goes, with the new ones, they are long enough, and high enough that it really isn't a problem. But let's say that you do get in trouble, where the combine rolls towards the grain cart along a ditch. With the turret style, you can get stuck. With the Gleaner, as they fold back, they first fold up, and away from the grain cart, so actually, you can get out of trouble easier, and quicker.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.