The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an S98 first year about 175 hours that started setting the parking brake yesterday. No way to get it off. After running through gears and neutral it would begin to release. A few times partial revolution of the tire and it would set then it would release and reset hydro without touching the switch and it would go until it would set again and then release. A few times of that then it would remain released and go without issue. Did that three times yesterday with no error code. Dealer coming to look today. Anybody else experience that? Never know about the writing harnesses anymore.

Here it sat for awhile.

Sky Mountain Plant Plant community Natural landscape

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I guess it strained a nut and the hydraulic pressure is a tad on the low side making it set the brake. They are out testing now. Complaint was it didn't have the pulling power as the S78 or our other S98 so far so good. Whoops I look for it and back at the service truck anyway.
Plant Harvester Agricultural machinery Tree Tractor

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Isn't there a pump (like a bottle jack)near the door for releasing the brake?
Things are getting to smart for their own good. My Massey will set the park brake in some circumstances like backing and putting the brake on. It must have been in a software update as it never use to do it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Latest update is the charge pressure was low and the parking brake would set. Idle down and the parking brake would set. Speed the engine up ands the brake would release. Want to climb a hill? Shift to first.

The pressure won't go up any higher on the charge pump. Need a new one and found out Agco has had issues with them and we are fifth in line to get one. We will find out tomorrow when to expect one. Will need to pull one off the assembly line to get us going.

We really need both to be able to run in our hills.

Plant Plant community Slope Highland Natural environment

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if it is a batch of combines affected. Did the service guy elaborate? Mine turns up next month. I'd better get the dealer to follow up and find out what's happening
I think they are investigating a certain supply of hydro pumps to see what serial numbers are affected. Our new hydro pump is still on a truck roaming the country. Sounds like it is still early in the game as to what is going on.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any updates on the problem or cause with these issues? I've the dealer trying to find out so I don't have the same issue
TIA
The problem was supposedly the charge pump and a whole new hydrostat with charge pump was put on the combine. The truck took its merry time getting across the country. We didn't really have it in the big hills after replaced to try it to its max. I drove it a day in mild conditions and pulled what I needed to with a good load in the tank. Didn't have to shift to first. Sounds like the supplier notified Gleaner that there was an issue before Gleaner knew they had one. They were still trying to identify the lot of hydros that had the issue. No big pulls and you really wouldn't know it except the parking brake going on at lower rpm.

We lost a big bearing on a final on the other S98 that showed nothing last winter in the oil change and wasn't loose when checking for free play. First final we have lost since the R72 days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts