The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently demonstrated a s98 gleaner, I must say I was pretty impressed. It had very good capacity for a class 8 (not 10) 8, super , super quiet cab with lots of room. I have hills and this thing climbs them really good, no shifting down like other combines it just goes over. On side hills it’s has the low Center of gravity and doesn’t have the side roll like my other tired combines. I am still stumped on how the hell it spreads the straw so good, during the day there was no difference with the mav choppers on my combines, and at night it was better than the mav. Low, low fuel consumption, anyways lots of good points.
But the couple things that have me stumped are, the auger length from factory. Ago makes a 40ft header for this class 8 combine but they don’t offer a auger for it. WTF so you need a extender, what would it cost to add 10ft and change the angle a little so it’s not 30ft in the air when out? So it has hopper extensions that you push a button and they fold down and leave a 2ft x 4ft hole up top. Why would they not spend $1000 a combine and make it a cover too? Then the price, looks like new it’s about $100g less than a fendt, it probably has 1/3 the parts and is 1/3 less weight so how it this the price? But for this reason I don’t think agco will be dropping the gleaner line anytime soon, the profit margin on this combine for gleaner must be insane. I am guessing gleaner is probably paying for the fendt Ideal project at the moment since it never took off.
Anyway seems like a good simple Class8 (not 10) combine, some of us don’t have the quality of land to push a 50ft header at 7mph. 40ft at 5mph does just fine. 11 belts and one chain, one gear box from the looks of it, pretty simple anyway.

·
Ken Adams
1,368 Posts
Nice hopper extensions but not covering hopper when folded has always had me puzzled!!
Auger on my 77 was just right when i ran a 40' MD. Now that I have gone to 36' HB, would like to shorten it 2'!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think agco is their own worst enemy, most agco dealers in Canada were ( they are getting eaten up) were mom and pop stores. If you are a agco dealer doesn’t mean you could sell anything agco, you had to sign up spend a million on signage, and parts even if you have never sold that product. But this you had to do on every agco brand you as a dealer took on , then also only select special dealers were even allowed to have Fendt and Rogator. So I think that is why there wasn’t many Gleaner dealers around, they spent the money on the Massey line that had a complete line of machinery.
I asked my Massey dealer why they weren’t pushing the 9560 combine, they are good combines. He told me he just couldn’t afford to bring more than one at a time in unless someone ordered it due to agco and the way they bill the dealers. He could not really demo a new one because it devalued his combine to a demo/use but agco would not chip in to cover his loss. So again I think agco is their own worst enemy.
I think they have finally seen the light, but are still stupid. That’s why they are moving everything into the Fendt name, but they still should have let all the dealers have everything agco offers. I know a mom and pop dealer that didn’t spend the million to go Fendt and now they don’t have a combine or sprayer to sell. How long are they going to last, agco should help in the transition.
As for gleaner the guys that have them love them and have nothing else , but I thinks it’s Agco s fault there is just pockets. Agco combines were know as simple and that’s how they marketed them, I think that is the market share they should be after. If they got a little more aggressive, made a gleaner 200g cheaper than the loaded Fendt they could double there sales, they already sell out what they produce every year. They just need to find that price point where a guy that doesn’t want all the parts of the “cool” ones will buy new gleaners instead of used whatever’s. I do think this is actually a very big market, what is the cost of ownership when these fancy combines get a few thousand hours on them. Some of us can’t flip every 3 years. Is it going to be like semi trucks and graders where the 20 year old ones are selling for the same price a the 4 year old ones because of the cost of ownership and downtime? Time will tell

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would've loved to get around a S98 the last couple of years but no dealers within 5 hours. Sadly we sold our last 2 remaining R72's last year and have now decided to go the route of hiring custom guys. They use green, and I haven't been overly impressed but we don't have a lot of options. I do curse AGCO. Terrible management and dealer support, and promotions and advertising...it's laughable. 35 yrs with Gleaner. I will miss them

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have said this before and will say it again. Gleaner has an inherent problem that is not about the design that keeps it from being pushed by Western Canada's Agco dealers in a larger way. Its very simple. Low houred, two to five year old trades, are very hard to move off of a dealers lot. Most dealers would sell new ones but its those late model used trades that have hurt dealers over the years. Good or bad the masseys did not have this problem, not opinion, just reality. I know the washed in the wool gleaners guys don't like to hear this but the farmers in western canada that are in that combine market are not going to pay the same price for a 300 hour gleaner as a similar deere or case. The massey on the other hand could be priced lower and still not sting a dealer because you could often move trades much faster.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think agco is their own worst enemy, most agco dealers in Canada were ( they are getting eaten up) were mom and pop stores. If you are a agco dealer doesn’t mean you could sell anything agco, you had to sign up spend a million on signage, and parts even if you have never sold that product. But this you had to do on every agco brand you as a dealer took on , then also only select special dealers were even allowed to have Fendt and Rogator. So I think that is why there wasn’t many Gleaner dealers around, they spent the money on the Massey line that had a complete line of machinery.
I asked my Massey dealer why they weren’t pushing the 9560 combine, they are good combines. He told me he just couldn’t afford to bring more than one at a time in unless someone ordered it due to agco and the way they bill the dealers. He could not really demo a new one because it devalued his combine to a demo/use but agco would not chip in to cover his loss. So again I think agco is their own worst enemy.
I think they have finally seen the light, but are still stupid. That’s why they are moving everything into the Fendt name, but they still should have let all the dealers have everything agco offers. I know a mom and pop dealer that didn’t spend the million to go Fendt and now they don’t have a combine or sprayer to sell. How long are they going to last, agco should help in the transition.
As for gleaner the guys that have them love them and have nothing else , but I thinks it’s Agco s fault there is just pockets. Agco combines were know as simple and that’s how they marketed them, I think that is the market share they should be after. If they got a little more aggressive, made a gleaner 200g cheaper than the loaded Fendt they could double there sales, they already sell out what they produce every year. They just need to find that price point where a guy that doesn’t want all the parts of the “cool” ones will buy new gleaners instead of used whatever’s. I do think this is actually a very big market, what is the cost of ownership when these fancy combines get a few thousand hours on them. Some of us can’t flip every 3 years. Is it going to be like semi trucks and graders where the 20 year old ones are selling for the same price a the 4 year old ones because of the cost of ownership and downtime? Time will tell
We have a Gleaner dealer but they maybe sell one or two a year if that. It seems AGCO don’t know which way they want to go! Used to be Massey was it and everything was Massey, now it’s Fendt which won’t last either cause of the awful resale value in the tractors and combines. Plus the Fendt combines are built so unreal weak reminds me of the Versatile 2000 of the mid 80s. You could say the Fendt Ideal combine is way less then Ideal! 😂 I have worked at this dealership for 17 years in total. But 98% of all combines and 99% of tractors are John Deere! Like it or not it’s the truth! You can’t beat there service! I know lots of local farmers that have gone to everything John Deere and they tell me they should of done it years ago!

·
Registered
185 Posts
We have a Gleaner dealer but they maybe sell one or two a year if that. It seems AGCO don’t know which way they want to go! Used to be Massey was it and everything was Massey, now it’s Fendt which won’t last either cause of the awful resale value in the tractors and combines. Plus the Fendt combines are built so unreal weak reminds me of the Versatile 2000 of the mid 80s. You could say the Fendt Ideal combine is way less then Ideal! 😂 I have worked at this dealership for 17 years in total. But 98% of all combines and 99% of tractors are John Deere! Like it or not it’s the truth! You can’t beat there service! I know lots of local farmers that have gone to everything John Deere and they tell me they should of done it years ago!
FENDT tractors...awful resale value?!! Perhaps in certain pockets, but overall that doesn't bear scrutiny!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Check out Twin Elm farms on youtube. They run 2 S98 with 40' headers. They did add an extension to the unload auger but don't know if it is factory. They do unload on the go but there land is fairly flat. I wish that used Fendt tractors had low resale value so I could buy one. Same could be said about Gleaners as well.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Not everyone needs a class 9 or 10 combine. I think the quality of grain and simplicity of a Gleaner are its biggest selling points as well as it's light weight and low fuel consumption. Large farm east and north of me have x9"s now and got rid of their NH 10.9's. They had Deere before the NH"s and they truly sucked in canola. Wouldn't even go half the speed of the NH without costing huge losses. They tested an X9 and now are all in to Deere again. My son snap chats with one of the guys and they are doing 6mph in heavy standing canola with 50' headers apparently. I would think losses would be occurring but I am told no it does better going fast for some reason. Whether it's all bs or not one has to hand it to Deere for getting customers to jump back in. You couldn't give away an S680 after using one of these NH or X9's in canola apparently.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well just look at the Richie Brothers sale 2019 JD 7270R 645 hrs. and a 2019 Fendt 824S4 500hrs. The JD went for $275000 and the Fendt went for $285000. So I kinda think that is what guys are talking about!
JD 270hp/645hrs
Fend 237hp/500hrs
and still the Fendt fetched more. 145hrs difference on these excellent tractors ought not to make a difference in the final price and that should
balance the hp difference. IMO it's only a matter of perception.
It seems to me that in general people are a LOT more lenient with JD shortcomings and very severe in those of other makes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hope everyone doesn’t mind if I restart this thread.
Running 2 S98’s currently. This season was our fourth with one machine and second with the other. Came from a 9560 and before that a 9895.
Grandpa has run rotary Gleaners since the N series but we have not. Even in four seasons with the machine we still don’t have it figured out real well, especially in canola.
Some likes and dislikes:
Like the machine for the fact that it will hang with a red or green class 8 machine in most crops and conditions with less horsepower and using less fuel. Would probably stay with a class 8 Lexion/NH/Ideal too but only in good dry conditions.
They have been incredibly reliable in the time we have had them. Simple but very compact which can make some spots tricky to work on.
Very nimble, maneuverable and they road good.
The cab is great.
Crop changeover is quick.
Really happy with the performance of the machine in flax. Very little wrapping compared to other colour combines.

Have a few major beefs with the combine. They are as follows:
-Capacity in swathed canola is terrible. That being said, our MF swathers do not make a good swath at all, but our Massey could cruise at 3.5-4 mph in a 30’ swath whereas the Gleaner struggles to stay at 3 mph most days.
Have the feeder house floor lowering kit in both machines as it comes from the factory that way. However, that seems to just move the plugging point back from the header to the handoff between front and back chains. Curious to know what others have done. Might start another thread for that.
-AGCO technology is kind of a joke. Icons and menus are not very user friendly. Yield and moisture are hardly worth using. Inaccurate and inconsistent. Not sure if it’s settings but it takes 400-500 feet to get yield up to average.
One combine has Ag Leader which I think has a really accurate bushel counter but it shows full at 220ish bushels so obviously not calibrated.
-Have to open the rotor door to get the air filter out. Also have to blow out rad/air filter more often than the Massey. Variable pitch/ SmartCooling fan helps but is not a replacement for pulling air from top of machine rather than the side.
-Lack of soft-start thresher/unloader engagement. Electric clutches are kinda pathetic. The 9560 I believe had a cylinder that tightened a belt for the unloader. Why Gleaner couldn’t do that when the combines were built in the same factory I have no idea.

Some other minor inconveniences/dislikes/possible improvements:
-Cab is good but hearing the cleaning fan noise from the cab gets old quick. Thought I heard somewhere that there was an update coming for that but not sure. If someone knows something about that feel free to share.
-Lack of sealing hopper extensions. Pretty silly IMO.
-Extra 2-3’ on the unload auger. Also unloading out the end of the tube vs. out the bottom would speed it up even more.

All in all, it’s a decent combine that mostly does what we need with what I feel is a lower cost per acre than most competitive machines. We don’t farm huge acres, we don’t need unbelievable capacity. That said, we feel like we gave up a bit vs the previous MF combine. Also there are some small features on the Massey that the Gleaner doesn’t have. Clearly there was a disconnect between the two lines at the factory.
Have a couple local dealers that have been great for parts and service but we haven’t had much help as far as settings and adjustments. Haven’t had a combine clinic in four years. Wouldn’t mind trying something else or even going back to a Massey but would be a bit sad to see them go.
Those are my thoughts. Think there was a likes and dislikes thread somebody started earlier but this was most recent.
Sorry I know this was pretty long winded!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I'm trying to start harvest if the rain would p-ss off. I finally got a start till the rain came again but it was in 2.5-3 t/h canola windrowed with a 30' MF swather. The 98 was still shining up and I only got the headlands done with green stalks but it was getting better all the time. It will be a fews days before I get going again but we'll see if I have trouble. Last canola I grew I did with the 78 and it was every bit or better than the Case. Feeding bulk in like that you would think a Massey would be better.
Yes the Agco tech is not easy to use and the manual is pathetic. I do find that my Moisture and yeild work OK when calibrated. The yield can go out at times. The air cleaner we have been complaining for 10 years to move it back an 1" but Agco don't listen. I have done it to my 78 but not as yet to the 98. The soft start of earlier models sounds better but the electric clutches have been very reliable. Radiator seems to keep clean and only clean it every now and then as a precaution. As we put the dual's on the pick up bin tractor we needed more reach. We extended the spout and it throughs it out further but we haven't tried it in the paddock yet. You forgot that stupid hinged access panel for the rotor on the LH side which you can never get bolted back up and the useless cooler
I think Gleaner/Massey is like Case/NH not much gets exchanged

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry to hear that Rod. Thinking of you guys down there. Wet harvests are no fun. We have done that.
Sounds like you have been having better luck with canola swaths than we did. Mind you our canola was really lodged and full of verticillium when we swathed it and made a terrible mess. Lots of piles and generally lumpy, even where the swath looked ok.
Seems like the MF swather (I’m assuming 5200 header) has worked well for you then. I hear some are happy with them and some switched to MacDon and never looked back.
Haven’t had to work on left side of rotor so can’t speak to the issues with LH hinged panel. Also we never actually use the cooler part of the under-seat storage. Pack lunches with ice packs and just put tools and parts under the seat. But yes I have heard the cooler is pointless.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts