The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a new grain complex with all new bins with full floor air. What moisture is safe to put in there. I have never bined over 14.5%. But never had full floor air. My bins sizes are 15000 bus, 34000 bus and 62000 bus. Yesterday we combining wheat at 16% moisture but didn't have the cuts to store it without putting in dryer.

·
Registered
234 Posts
A couple years ago we put wheat in a pile, around 100,000bu, varying from 16-19% moisture (very ugly fall) and it kept fine. It stayed there for a couple months without heating, we probed it every day or two and never turned it or had any problems.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I have regularly put 16% wheat in bins without air and it will store all winter (I do have OPI sensors in the bins). It is usually cool out when we harvest at this moisture though so the grain is cool going in. With floor air I wouldn't be worried at all, and if the grain was going in at a warm temp, and we get some warm days you could even dry it down just by blowing it.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I'm with direct about the sensors. I have temperature cables in all my bins. That way I can tell what is going on inside the bin before there is a problem. When it starts to smell its already to late.

You don't tell us where you are located. Here in Kansas that is no problem, but I don't know anything about your location.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have temp cables in all my bins so i can keep an eye on the wheat. But like i said i have never put wheat over 15%. im located just north of edmonton alberta.At what moisture do you guys start the dryer instead of putting on air?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just north of morinville by Legal. Its more advanced here, We are done cutting our canola and our wheat is ready to go but mother nature is not helping, its been wet here. Our wheat was 16.1% last saturday but didn't have the guts to bin it. I think we are going to fire up the dryer in the next few days and try to get some wheat done.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I have put wheat in the bin at 17 for short time till harvest was done before drying. With air and temp cables I wouldn't be scared of 17 - 17.5 till after harvest. A friend of mine took wheat last year between 18 and 20 and it was a few weeks before he dried it, although he owns an old elevator and moved it every second day.

Are you somewhere out by Mornville? I'm around Lloydminster. I was out that are a couple weeks ago and it looked like you are maybe 10 days ahead of us. Couple guys around us tried peas but they weren't ready, and we are just started spraying wheat.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Took all our wheat off last year at 20 % kept it cool with fans until it got cold then froze them till spring then we dried them down with air and low temp. heaters. only 200 bu out of 10000 spoiled. If you get warm weather it doesn't take much to dry wheat down with just air.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I agree with Evan, take it, it will store and you can dry it later, or if there is much dry stuff you may be able to mix it without drying it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts