The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a 12x39 Sakundiak/Meridian load out auger. I have read all the info online and talked to a couple of guys that sell them. First off can anyone reccomend a good dealer in MB or SK....Im not sure I have found one yet. My biggest concern is the engine size. The dealer from Davidson is quoting a 35hp Vanguard but writes right on the quote that it will be underpowered in heavy grain. Another guy said a 35hp Kohler but it was actually a 38hp?? Are 40hp Kohlers any good? Who sells them?

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I noticed the local colony rigged up an auger just like that but took one of those old Wisconsin engines from a swather and mounted it on and they just run it at part throttle with it geared up pulley wise and seems to work good, lots of power for peas he said. The problem there is getting an engine like that and not having to repair one. I like SWMan's rig but I wonder if they have an option of putting a diesel fired coolant heater on it like the stand alone light tower plants as they work really slick, fire up the burner for a bit and just warms it up nicely.

·
Registered
812 Posts
RME in shoallake are a dealer they have a 12" sitting there just now with a diesel we tried it but didn't like it. It was too big to fit under our 24'hoppers and threw a lot of grain out of the hopper. I'd reccomend a 10" but call shoallake and ask them ask for Leonard

·
Registered
28 Posts
We have a 10" by 39' Sakundiak with the 35 hp Vanguard, had it since 07 and absolutely love it. Our trucker loves it as well, we have the 2 wheel Hawes mover and it works great. The 35hp Vanguard definitely won't have enough though for the 12" you are looking at.

·
Registered
303 Posts
We purchased a 10"x39' Sakundiak with a 38 HP Kohler a few years back and are very pleased with unit.

The volume of the 12" has approximately 44% volume than the 10".
Volume of 10" is 17.3 bushels vs 24.9 bushels for 12".

We found the dealer is in Rose Valley, SK great to deal with. (Karapita Sales)

·
Registered
313 Posts
This fall we were blending grain from 2 bins and I thought I would take a picture in case a thread came along about a TL 12" sakundiak. Other auger in the picture is a 10" Westfield POS running full bore...:rolleyes:

After 2 years of use, I must say this is hands down the best auger I have ever used. Its so fast and it runs so smooth. 38 hp Kohler is plenty of power and runs good in the cold. You can run it full of wheat and still use the hydraulics to move it a bit or raise the auger without dragging down the motor. I was told (from a different dealer that had neither in stock=impartial??) that the 38 kohler is a more solid motor than the 40.

Man, I love this auger, but....

1) it is only suitable for hopper bins and bins with new unloader system (Actually with new Westeel/Northstar U trough bins, you have to open up the centre gate all the way and the other crank 1/2 turn to keep the auger full).

2)You need a big hopper for this auger and it will still throw grain over the edge if you don't run it full.

3)You have to bring your "A" game if you are loading a semi by yourself!

I got mine from Boissevain Coop but I deal with Killarney Farm Supply too. Just I bought it before Killarney started selling Sakundiak.

Funny story... I stopped by Killarney Farm Supply the first time I drove by and saw he had some new Sakundiaks on the lot (but this was already after I already bought by TL12). A bunch of guys I didn't know were having coffee with the owner John when I walked in. John asks me what he can do for me. I say something to the lines of how I regretted buying that that POS Westfield 10" from him 2 years previous and how I was happy for him now he was now selling Sakundiaks. Well, to my confusion, the crowd erupted in laughter... Except for 1 guy.... That John then introduced me to...

The Westfield Rep!

Dough! :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All good info.....more calls to make. I like the idea of the diesel but a little worried about how expensive it will get but theres no point in buying an auger that is underpowered!! The whole point of a 12in is for speed. SWMan...roughly how much is a 3cyl diesel? There are new Wisconsons made down south so i will look into that.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This fall we were blending grain from 2 bins and I thought I would take a picture in case a thread came along about a TL 12" sakundiak. Other auger in the picture is a 10" Westfield POS running full bore...:rolleyes:

After 2 years of use, I must say this is hands down the best auger I have ever used. Its so fast and it runs so smooth. 38 hp Kohler is plenty of power and runs good in the cold. You can run it full of wheat and still use the hydraulics to move it a bit or raise the auger without dragging down the motor. I was told (from a different dealer that had neither in stock=impartial??) that the 38 kohler is a more solid motor than the 40.

Man, I love this auger, but....

1) it is only suitable for hopper bins and bins with new unloader system (Actually with new Westeel/Northstar U trough bins, you have to open up the centre gate all the way and the other crank 1/2 turn to keep the auger full).

2)You need a big hopper for this auger and it will still throw grain over the edge if you don't run it full.

3)You have to bring your "A" game if you are loading a semi by yourself!

I got mine from Boissevain Coop but I deal with Killarney Farm Supply too. Just I bought it before Killarney started selling Sakundiak.

Funny story... I stopped by Killarney Farm Supply the first time I drove by and saw he had some new Sakundiaks on the lot (but this was already after I already bought by TL12). A bunch of guys I didn't know were having coffee with the owner John when I walked in. John asks me what he can do for me. I say something to the lines of how I regretted buying that that POS Westfield 10" from him 2 years previous and how I was happy for him now he was now selling Sakundiaks. Well, to my confusion, the crowd erupted in laughter... Except for 1 guy.... That John then introduced me to...

The Westfield Rep!

Dough! :eek:
that was a great laugh!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Great pics stockton....a pic is worth a thousand words!!! What do you suggest for a hopper??
The first year we just used a big daddy but thats a pain to clean up. Coop sells a blue one from Agri hopper thats specified for 13" augers that works better. I ordered one last winter, took 3 months to get here, and cost $300:mad:. Then the coop flyer had them on sale for half that this spring.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I noticed the Hutts were using a hopper on theirs that I had not seen before, it was fairly long to secure onto the auger but was narrower and had steeper sides and it cleaned out quite well with not very much left in the bottom of it which is a problem with a lot of hoppers made for larger augers. It was a light green in colour and he said was bought at the Alberta UFA. I asked him about the flipping out of grain and he said it wasn't too bad with this hopper but what really was slick was one that they had on another auger similar to this with the extending billow sides to come up close to under the hopper bottom. I don't know what brand it was and never saw it but he claimed it came on and off really easy, unfortunately I never saw it to explain it better or have a brand name to list.

I was going to point out also to be sure you can put the proper sized electric clutch on the auger engine and that might be where a Wisconsin might not fit one up, I don't know. The hutts never had a clutch on theirs but instead had made their own over center type belt tensioner and with something to hold up the belt when it was in the slacked position and not wear out the belt or start turning the auger. It would be nice with a large auger like that to have a remote in ones hand to turn the auger off and on when loading if it was able to be stopped with however its being fed by grain, a no spill hopper, stuck in a bin, etc.

Dmax06, that is priceless although I am sure you felt sheepish at the time but in all honesty it sounds like they need to hear something with the various comments I've seen on here with unhappy owners, especially of the wheat-heart units that are to some degree made by them as well. I realize its only a picture but it looks like the 10" auger is putting out about what a 8" does ... for your sake I hope its doing better then that !.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
SWMan...roughly how much is a 3cyl diesel?
I believe they were $4100 each with a stub shaft and murphy-switchbox. They were sitting there ready and the customer never picked them up...so maybe I got a bargain??? I'm gonna guess that tier 4 has made this price out of reach now.:(

I bought old-style Farm King movers from KFS as he had a bunch really reasonable and I mounted the engines myself. It's a real dog's breakfast but works great and I really like them.:) They have block-heaters and I just leave them plugged in all day when hauling in winter, starts up like it is summer. They maybe burn about a liter of diesel at the most for every 1000 bushels.

This is the best I have for pictures at the moment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
4100 is ok because the big gas engines are around 3g. Is 40hp diesel big enough for for 12x39 auger?
Oh I would think so, mine is only about 26HP but remember diesel HP is more similar to electric, not gas. You could always run a smaller drive pulley and slow it down, that would help the throwing of grain.

It was noted that the 38HP Kohlers are better than the 40's and I have heard that too but the 40HP I had(and the 1035 Brant it was attached to;)) was the worst piece of machinery I have EVER owned.:mad:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have an older 10 inch super charged 30 foot brandt. I have not yet bought an engine for it. An idea I had, was to just rig it up with pto and run it with my snow push tractor, since it runs anyway when moving grain generally.

It has no mover, and while heavy enough, is well balanced, and is easy to move by hand. There would be some time wasted unhooking and re-hooking, but for 4000 bucks, I can switch a lot of bins this way. Heck, a guy could pull it with the tractor when moving across the yard or whatever, since the tractor is warm already.

Anyone thought about this rather than spending that much more money on an extra engine that may be under-powered?

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.