The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are quite interested in these units. I have searched the past threads on here about them, but was wondering if anyone has a new one this year? what did you think of either cart or drill. did you seed into mud or dry conditions? does anyone have the new conveyor option on their Salford cart? in general looking for more opinions on both drill and cart, good or bad. thanks

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Feel free to look at our Canola fields if you are traveling this way. Looks like we have a great stand coming especially for the crap conditions we planted into.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Been meaning to make a post about mine. I bought a 70' 525 for this year and attached it to my Bourgault 5350 cart and 3360 imperial gallon liquid cart.

I seeded into both mud and dry conditions sort of. By the time I actually got rolling, conditions were very good it seemed. It took me a while to understand how the toolbar works. During my first 60 acres, I changed depth on the drill around 10 times and down pressure 6. I still find myself doing that on occasion, but I think I'm starting to know how to get it to do what I want.

We had one breakdown so far. A pin on the secondary wing caster assembly failed causing the whole assembly to fall apart while coming out of transport. It broke the hydraulic ram clear off.

I've also bent several packer arms. One on either end of the machine on the fertilizer openers, and one from a rock. I've since modified the outside fertilizer openers to give the packer arm more turning radius, so that it doesn't drag across the ground as bad during a turn. Hopefully my last 600 acres will dry out enough that I can seed it soon.

So far, I'm very happy with the drill. I'll know more when I finish seeding and all of my crop is up!

·
Registered
234 Posts
We have a 70' with a 700 bu tank that is on it's second season, and bought another this past winter. Both are 7.5" spaced seed rows and 15" spaced fertilizer, so quite a few row units on the machines. The older tank has a mechanical drive on, it is nice and simple. Also the standard auger which we actually changed to our own auger. The standard one isn't that great but I believe it has been updated now. After the second season now the discs will have to be swapped from one side to the other and should get at least one more season out of them. The new cart has a little heavier axle on the front allowing them to make all three tanks 220 bu. It has a Dickey John hydraulic system to run the meters, full isobus and being controlled by a 2630 John Deere monitor. It has the scales which are a really nice option, also isobus and display on the 2630. We decided to try the conveyor and wouldn't go back. It is so quiet and fast. It can go under a trailer no problem, but we have a tridem with side chutes and have been filling with them. If we really fill the conveyor we can load each tank in around 4 minutes. For peas it made a huge difference as well. Also on the new drill we are using prototype blow out preventers, made out of plastic and not steel. The hanger bracket is much different allowing less straw to catch on them and a lot less soil throw we will be converting both drills to them. Our steel only last one season and these will be much longer. Sorry for the long post, if anyone has more questions I'll try to answer them

·
Registered
812 Posts
So vs shank type drills what mud can you seed into similar or less? Do the disc plug up and take a long time to clean out? How fast do you happily seed at? Do you have the sectional control peacecountry or is that still in prototype? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
We have a 70' with a 700 bu tank that is on it's second season, and bought another this past winter. Both are 7.5" spaced seed rows and 15" spaced fertilizer, so quite a few row units on the machines. The older tank has a mechanical drive on, it is nice and simple. Also the standard auger which we actually changed to our own auger. The standard one isn't that great but I believe it has been updated now. After the second season now the discs will have to be swapped from one side to the other and should get at least one more season out of them. The new cart has a little heavier axle on the front allowing them to make all three tanks 220 bu. It has a Dickey John hydraulic system to run the meters, full isobus and being controlled by a 2630 John Deere monitor. It has the scales which are a really nice option, also isobus and display on the 2630. We decided to try the conveyor and wouldn't go back. It is so quiet and fast. It can go under a trailer no problem, but we have a tridem with side chutes and have been filling with them. If we really fill the conveyor we can load each tank in around 4 minutes. For peas it made a huge difference as well. Also on the new drill we are using prototype blow out preventers, made out of plastic and not steel. The hanger bracket is much different allowing less straw to catch on them and a lot less soil throw we will be converting both drills to them. Our steel only last one season and these will be much longer. Sorry for the long post, if anyone has more questions I'll try to answer them
My blow out preventers are wearing extremely fast, too. These are supposed to be a new metal design for this year with improved angles. Several were approaching 50% wear at 2200 acres.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
So vs shank type drills what mud can you seed into similar or less? Do the disc plug up and take a long time to clean out? How fast do you happily seed at? Do you have the sectional control peacecountry or is that still in prototype? Thanks.
I got stuck yesterday in some greasy mud which got into the disks. After I got the machine out, I let it dry for a while then ran it around the headland for 5 minutes and there was no mud left on it. One seed tube had mud in it is all.

I seed at 6-6.5 mph conditions permitting. I went bigger so I can drive slower.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would say more mud, we have grey wooded heavy clay and a shank can smear and get really hard. The discs just slice right through. But if it's wet and have wet straw on top it will hair pin and not do a great job. When seeding deep, such as peas at 2.5" when it's wet it has a tough time closing the trench. The open trench then dries out and nothing grows. For seeding peas in wet conditions it's not the greatest but wheat and canola no problem. We have never pulled mud out of the seed boots and mud comes off the discs just fine in our soil.
The sectional control was not ready for our cart and don't think it is yet. It looked promising but they had a few setbacks when developing. The Salford engineers have really impressed me so far though and I'm sure when it comes out it will work great. It sounds like I will be able to retrofit both my carts to it. The one bad thing is it sounds like my 2630 monitor won't control it, I will have to use a topcon monitor

·
Registered
72 Posts
Peacecountry, how well does the jd2630 screen communicate with the cart? Do you find it to be user friendly working with 2630 screen? Was there any glitches or problems getting the two systems setup and working? I like the looks if salford carts but i dont want a dickey john or top con monitor if i can help it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Primer, can u call me, my cell is 204-522-zero nine two six, was wanting to talk abit further about your drill and come see some emerged crops if possible, thanks

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Are deciding between this and a Pillar, using a barton. Does Salford make a sideband or do you need to use one unit as a mid row band? shudder to think i would be going to a unit with even more bearings.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
With the exception of seed firmers and a lighter disc bearing what would the advantage of a 525 Salford be over the newer Khart drills?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Peacecountry, how well does the jd2630 screen communicate with the cart? Do you find it to be user friendly working with 2630 screen? Was there any glitches or problems getting the two systems setup and working? I like the looks if salford carts but i dont want a dickey john or top con monitor if i can help it.
It was seamless we plugged it in, it took a few minutes to load and it was there. Scales as well. Not one hiccup I was a little worried about it and thought we would be buying a Topcon for it. Last year we used a Pro 700 on the one and it also worked well. The one thing we did not like was out mapping and drill monitor couldn't be displayed on the same screen. So we had to toggle between guidance the seeding monitor kind of a pita

·
Registered
234 Posts
Are deciding between this and a Pillar, using a barton. Does Salford make a sideband or do you need to use one unit as a mid row band? shudder to think i would be going to a unit with even more bearings.
Their sideband option is the wavy coulter with a seed boot on it. Kind of A strange setup IMO in hard clay dirt I don't think they are working, can't penetrate and then spray fertilizer all over instead putting it in the dirt beside the seedrow. In nice black dirt it sounds like it works ok

·
Registered
234 Posts
We have 14000a on the first drill now and have not replace a bearing. We broke a bolt the other day that holds a disc on so we replaced both discs and the bearing on the old one feels brand new. I'm confident we will have wore out discs before bearing failures.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a 40' 525 with 7.5" spacing this spring with a 465bu tbt cart. Over all I am fairly happy with it but like everything else there is things that could be better. I am not impressed with the fill auger. It is heavy and awkward and the hopper doesnt clean out at all. I had a couple issues with the fan drive coupling but I think it was an alignment issue. It seems to be good now. I am having trouble getting the hoses properly routed at the back of the cart going to the drill. The drill I am fairly happy with. I bent a couple packer arms also from putting the drill in the ground too soon when you are turning. I also found an issue after seeding all of our cereals where the mid rows arent running in the middle of the rows. Some of them were running right beside or directly in line with seed rows. We measured everything and everything is placed where it is supposed to be. We moved the mid rows slightly to have them in the center so we could finish seeding so I am waiting for Salford to explain why this is happening and come up with a fix for it. Is anybody else seeing this problem?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I bought a 40' 525 with 7.5" spacing this spring with a 465bu tbt cart. Over all I am fairly happy with it but like everything else there is things that could be better. I am not impressed with the fill auger. It is heavy and awkward and the hopper doesnt clean out at all. I had a couple issues with the fan drive coupling but I think it was an alignment issue. It seems to be good now. I am having trouble getting the hoses properly routed at the back of the cart going to the drill. The drill I am fairly happy with. I bent a couple packer arms also from putting the drill in the ground too soon when you are turning. I also found an issue after seeding all of our cereals where the mid rows arent running in the middle of the rows. Some of them were running right beside or directly in line with seed rows. We measured everything and everything is placed where it is supposed to be. We moved the mid rows slightly to have them in the center so we could finish seeding so I am waiting for Salford to explain why this is happening and come up with a fix for it. Is anybody else seeing this problem?
I did notice that a couple midrows seemed slightly off, but I haven't had a chance to actually measure it. My biggest gripe with the machine is the packer arms bending.

Watching my crop come up has been awesome. I was REALLY worried during seeding, but now I'm very happy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts