The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Did you get your trouble resolved ?
Ours is working well ,we did a lot of live streaming the first month and maxed out in two weeks but when throttled it was still faster than wbbi from before.
We had a problem but it was at the cell tower ,repairs were brought from somewhere so me were without service for abut 20 hours, otherwise all seems good.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
My wifi died last night so I plugged in my old wireless router and everything is good as new, I wish I had done that in the first place and it would have save reprograming every thing to recognize the Fusion system router. I guess time will tell how reliable this Chinese system is.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I c. I have one computer wired right into the fusion and the video starts and stops on it too at times. Last few days all has been working well. I think the problem is the signal does not go to the tower in certain weather conditions.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
We are only 8km from the tower with a good line of sight so the signal is always strong, a little faster now using the Linksys router I believe.
I guess I should contact the service company to see what their parts replacement policy is otherwise I may be regretting it later.
Your issue sounds quite similar to the issue of cell phones dropping calls.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
They talked us into going to explornet (totally unimpressed:mad:)as our tower was to be phased out now they will be switching it to fusion, I hope we can get in the promo deal when its active or I will be using my phones hot spot as explornet is barely faster than dial up and goes out with moderate cloud cover.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

It's been a long time since I sat on a combine, and it was on an old Cockshutt 545 - but hello regardless.....

I want to let you all know our experience with Sasktel Fusion service, and the dealer that installed it. For those of you that aren't from around here is a 4G/LTE based rural internet service, that is supposed to give users a very nice 5MBps download speed. The initial install costs a minimum of 800$, but can be upwards of 2-3000$ if a tower is needed. The service is 80-90$ per month. It's not cheap.

First off, there have been rumors flying the towers are being over sold (note this for later), but, rumors are rumors, right??? Well, it was a bit more than a rumor given that my neighbor called and asked for an install about 6 weeks ago and was told the tower was full, but just 2 weeks later someone else just down the road had it installed...... hhhmmmmmm.....that's odd.

For 10-12 months, it was great. In the last 6 weeks it's been awful, and what's been even more awful is Sasktel and the Dealer's (Chittronics, Montmartre, Owner Cory Chittenden) willingness to even hear us out that there is a problem.

My first reach out for help was to the Sasktel help line. They were entirely useless. We were told that the problem was that we had used 50GB (yes, FIFTY) of data. This is impossible. We don't stream. We don't use netflix. We don't us iTunes for movies. We have (well, had) no kids that are online gaming, and I don't online game. We were told we were also throttled for the same reason back in June, but we weren't - service was fine.

I asked to speak to a manager over and over and met much resistance. I was put through to a 2nd level support guy, not a manager. He was also useless (clearly in his position due to union seniority rather than skill and experience). I asked to speak to a MANAGER and was told that someone would call me by the end of the day. That call back took 23 days - yes TWENTY THREE. During that call I was told that there's no way for them to log in to our system to try and help, nor was there a way for them to determine what could be causing the with the massive data usage. (note this for later)

In the interim, I reached out to Chittronics for help. Their very helpful receptionist told be that they've been hearing all kinds of problems lately, and that she'd have a tech come out ASAP. That took a couple days (fair enough). When he come out he said everything was fine, and blamed our home network and tried to leave as soon as he could. I wouldn't let him, and I'm glad I didn't because then I started learning some stuff.

I learned:

They can indeed log in to assess the system, but they're not trained on it or just lie to their customers.
They can indeed run reports as to where the data is being used, but they're not trained on it or just lie to their customers.
That Sasktel has run out of equipment, entirely, province wide, so there is no back up equipment to swap out for any existing customers - which number in the 1000's
That Sasktel tells it's dealers that the modem and antenna MUST be paired - therefore they would have to get 30' up in my yard to swap the antenna as well as the moden/router unit.....buuuutttt they tried to use an "unmatched" modem to help a customer out and it works just fine.

While the tech was here, I called the owner of the Chittronics - I have his number because I loaned him my Manlift for 6 months in early 2015 - SIX months - based on a "vouch" from a very good childhood friend of mine. He immediately took an aggressive tone, and blamed our home network. He also began contradicting his tech and his receptionist saying that there hasn't been a rash of failures, and that the "NETWORK IS SOLID", and that "TOWERS CANNOT BE OVERSOLD". I took the very same tone with him and challenged every last thing he said, and I'm glad I did because I learned some more stuff.

I learned:

The towers can indeed be oversold, and most likely are. The reason for this is that the only method that Sasktel employs to ensure capacity limits are kept is to send out a fax - yes, just a fax - to their dealers stating "STOP SELLING". Well, low and behold some dealers KEEP SELLING!!! Huh?? Who knew??? OH wait, I did
I also learned that the reports can indeed be run, and Cory promised me he'd get on that the next day. That was August 22nd, it's now Sept 7th, and we've seen hide nor hair of a report.
That some genius at Chittronics rolled their manlift, so even if they were so inclined to try and help us out they'd not be able to, unless the tech was gonna shimmy up the pole......which I'm sure wouldn't be safe, or effective.
I was told that were were again throttled for the August billing period (yet I could still run speed tests of 5-7.5MBps......strange)

After that I started troubleshooting myself. Unplugging things, isolating things, etc, etc. I've spent 1.5 full days on this so far. I found that at times even when I am completely disconnected from everything other than the Sasktel modem/router unit our service is very spotty. There are times when I get 7.5Mbps, and times when it's .25Mbps, or even just times out during the speedtest. This was reported to Cory, to which he then had no answer. The other very interesting point is that even when we were told we were throttled to 2MBps, i could get 4,5,7.5MBps....... How is that???? Hmmmmm.....wierd.

Around that time the 23 days before a call-back came. A very nice young lady called Holly from Sasktel called us, wondering how things were going - so we told her!!! Holly was the first person that CARED. She is the manager of the billing department, but for some reason has a dual role as a high level customer service person. Again, she's very nice, but used too many corporate words like "escalate" and "unfortunately" and "other department" so I asked to speak with her boss. Now we're onto a nice lady called Robyn, who makes us feel like we're being listened to, but time will tell on the results.

As of today we still have horribly inconsistent service. From about 21:00 last night until noon today it was completely out. This has been going on for 6 weeks.

After learning more about networking than I care about, I think that the router side of the modem/router combo is pooched. I've expressed this several times, to several people, yet no one has shown up at our gate/door with a new unit to try.

My neighbor has been doing some web searching and found several others having similar problems to us, including the unexplained MASSIVE data usage.

Now, the most recent slap in the face is a 160$ bill (arrived today) for the service call that accomplished NOTHING!!!! I took a pic of it and texted it to Cory, thinking that maybe it was produced by his staff automatically - NOPE!!!! A very insulting, yet entertaining text exchange occurred which I, without question, will be sharing with the managers as Sasktel, and would be happy to share with anyone who wants to see it - PM me.

This has been a long read, and for that I'm sorry, but I'd much rather you see this an not go through the frustrations we have. This is a premium service, and we expect a functional result (actually, we expect a premium result, but right now I'd just take WORKING).

-Jeremy.

ps - I hope like **** that one of Sasktel's paid social media searcher's find this. No, I won't be taking it down, and I won't be retracting anything. It's all true, all fact, and I can back every last bit of it up.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks for that. Many of us share your experience. I have come to believe that our slow, erratic service is being buffered at the sasktel end. They dont guarantee any speeds because its all a factor of how many people are online.

I agree that the fusion department is very tiny(just a few farmers) in the company and not well supported at all.

Unfortunately it is the best available.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.