The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently on our third year of running a lexion 450. Have been running the large spacing concave (edges are still square, rub bars are almost new) since that's what came with it and have been doing ryegrass, clover, oats and beans with it. Ran wheat with it last weekend and that was a tough one. Had concave all the way closed, sped up to 1000, fan speed cranked and chaffer closed to 1mm, and still didn't have the sample as clean as I wanted it. Long story short, looking now at different concave options as this can not work long term, especially as we increase acres. Currently looking at the multi-crop concave from sunnybrook. Would be looking at doing oats, wheat, fall rye, annual ryegrass clover and maybe canola and other grass seeds with it, and would keep the concaves I have now for beans and any other large kernel crops we do in the future. Is it a worthwhile upgrade or should I just try and find the right concaves from lexion? Am I even on the right track going this direction or is that the wrong concave for my goals? Would rasp bars be a worthwhile upgrade while I'm in there also?

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Do not go with the multi crop from sunnybrook, small grains is the better option from sunnybrook. What are you running for APS grates. When the cylinder is out for changing the concave you may as well change the rub bars. Also a good time to do the plates on your beater behind the cylinder if it has wear or damage.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
It might be too late now that harvest is over, but you need to verify the problem, and where the problem came from. Essentially, it sounds like the current setup was not threshing the grain properly? What was wrong with the sample? Concave leveled properly? 1mm on sieve sounds very wrong, unless it is some deep tooth sieve or not calibrated properly.

FYI, the sample will go to heck if the lower sieve is too tight. It will overload itself, the tailings, and the fan.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Are you using your its ? There was a number of farmers here who had a certain ( I don't recall the name ) new brand of wheat that was virtually impossible the do a decent job . We had 4 different brands of combines and no one could do a decent job .

·
Registered
418 Posts
APS grate question is a good one. If they don't have key stock, consider welding some on.
Is that a walker machine? To me the greatest advantage to our Sunnybrook concave is how it helps direct crop flow to the rotors.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Currently on our third year of running a lexion 450. Have been running the large spacing concave (edges are still square, rub bars are almost new) since that's what came with it and have been doing ryegrass, clover, oats and beans with it. Ran wheat with it last weekend and that was a tough one. Had concave all the way closed, sped up to 1000, fan speed cranked and chaffer closed to 1mm, and still didn't have the sample as clean as I wanted it. Long story short, looking now at different concave options as this can not work long term, especially as we increase acres. Currently looking at the multi-crop concave from sunnybrook. Would be looking at doing oats, wheat, fall rye, annual ryegrass clover and maybe canola and other grass seeds with it, and would keep the concaves I have now for beans and any other large kernel crops we do in the future. Is it a worthwhile upgrade or should I just try and find the right concaves from lexion? Am I even on the right track going this direction or is that the wrong concave for my goals? Would rasp bars be a worthwhile upgrade while I'm in there also?
If partly threshed wheat heads are getting through the APS or main concave too soon the seives can’t deal with those. I would try 6 mm APS concave with keystock or just run flaps closed. Intensive threshing segments in for sure. Block the first 4-5 rows of main concave to allow complete threshing before anything but threshed kernels gets through. The new 8000 series has a hydraulic adjustable flap system to do this but older machines you have to be innovative.

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
Have you checked the clearance at the back of the concave. We set them at 2-3 mm at the back. If you are running 6-7mm that will be some of the cause of your problem. I am running a Sunnybrook concave and a factory cocave. The Sunnybrook is built much heavier and is less likely to bow in the middle like one of my original factory conclaves. We did see a little less loss in wheat with the Sunnybrook concave but not by much. As far as splitting the crop flow we weld a very large knife/ v at the back of the concave so all material is cut and split at the back of the cylinder. This eliminates impeller issues. We combined a slough of bull rushes and cat tails to shreds the material with this set up this fall shaving it on the ground and never had any impeller issues. With the factory set up I would have been crawling and had nothing but burnt belts. When we have time I will try post pictures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So to answer some questions, initial issue was unthreshed but broken heads in the grain tank. Upon consulting a neighbour with more experience we came to the conclusion that the concave is to large and grain was falling through at the front before getting completely threshed at the back of the concave. Solution was to close the concave all the way, close the chaffer as tight as possible to kick as much back to in front of the concave to be rethreshed, we also cranked fan speed right up to help with all the lights in the sample. The problem that persisted was short pieces of straw in the tank. Speed had no effect, and I closed the sieves to the point that grain was going out the back and still no difference. My conclusion was that the concave was simply to large to screen it out and it fell through. For those of you asking, it is a walker machine. I'm not going to lie to you guys, I'm green when it comes to combines. However, I'm trying to learn and push my abilities as an operator and any and all advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Ok.
So how bad was the sample?
My pos MF corkscrew threshed this.
Granted it’s easy thresh CWRS Landmark bearded wheat.
I consider that decent enough job for concaves the machine shop told me are all worn out with slots that are 5/8” wide.
3 cover plates in.
660D6BFD-B6F4-4709-9A73-BFFE3014F2B8.jpeg

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I have those concaves.
Howard.
Not really that good for hard spring wheat with a 5/8'' gap in the ladder.
Be a good concave for peas and barley, oats.
Just got off the phone with Howard concave yesterday.
The ladder is too coarse in the ones I have, they tried to tell me they are worn out, that the ladder is worn.
He is full of it, they were made that way.
He also told me the ladder gap should be 1/2'' on a new concave. View attachment 160216
So here the photo from another thread, that is a 5/8 diam bolt for measuring the ladder gap.
The point of this is yes filler plates work when the concave is not made for wheat,

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Hi again. Next year, start with a concave "leveled" as recommended in the book, as long as the concave isn't totally worn out. The cylinder bars need to be good also.

Don't go out to the field without blocking the front portions of the concave. The crop needs to stay in as long as necessary to do a complete thresh (can't thresh with the sieve regardless of its setting).

Don't close the sieve so tight. Clean with air. Too tight and it does worse than too open, with much less capacity.

Post pictures of your setup so we can visualize what you are working with.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi again. Next year, start with a concave "leveled" as recommended in the book, as long as the concave isn't totally worn out. The cylinder bars need to be good also.

Don't go out to the field without blocking the front portions of the concave. The crop needs to stay in as long as necessary to do a complete thresh (can't thresh with the sieve regardless of its setting).

Don't close the sieve so tight. Clean with air. Too tight and it does worse than too open, with much less capacity.

Post pictures of your setup so we can visualize what you are working with.
What’s the easiest way to put those concave fill plates in? I took them out in chickpeas last year and it was a terrible experience.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I’ve taken out and Put back in this year. A Milwaukee stubby 1/2 impact with 6” extension makes it pretty easy all things considered. For the bolts on ends go from
Bottom. For very center go from front and have a spotter underneath to tell you when to hit it. For doing ITS segments a Milwaukee 1/2 ratchet works like a charm. Get a Milwaukee leaf blower to clean everything first.

I’m not sponsored by Milwaukee but I should be:)

·
Registered
402 Posts
I’ve taken out and Put back in this year. A Milwaukee stubby 1/2 impact with 6” extension makes it pretty easy all things considered. For the bolts on ends go from
Bottom. For very center go from front and have a spotter underneath to tell you when to hit it. For doing ITS segments a Milwaukee 1/2 ratchet works like a charm. Get a Milwaukee leaf blower to clean everything first.

I’m not sponsored by Milwaukee but I should be:)
I think that’s how I basically did it. But used 3/8 Milwaukee impact and power ratchet. Of course I blew it off first with the Milwaukee leaf blower! Lol

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well I must be tougher than I thought because I thought that was pretty easy and good!! Sorry I am of no help

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Because it is next to impossible to have filler bars that can be taken out/back in I was leaving the 4 rows in for wheat, barley, canola. I did have them bolted in but it wouldn’t be easy to reinstall once taken out. I was also leaving intensive thresh segments in but I didn’t have Milwaukee impacts!! They are possible to take in and out. The biggest gain is changing the APS concave to 18 mm for peas and easy thresh delicate crops and swapping to 6 mm for wheat. A lot of advice from dealers locally here was to run 12 mm aps concave for everything. A lot of farmers had problems with white caps. I ran 6 mm aps and its and didn’t.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I went and did some crawling around on the combine and measuring. The openings in the concave are approximately 18.97 mm by 30.24 mm. The pre-concave segments are 0.279" (9.95mm) by 1.25". The disawning plates were also closed. Difference between distance concave and the two rub bars in the pic I attached is 0.5mm. I attached a picture of the sample. You can see the bits of straw in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Are you saying the pinch point is .5mm? Is that measured from the proper concave bars, and using the same cylinder bar to measure from?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts