The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I didn't spray any on canola this year. Thinner than normal stand, and now crop staging timing has past, so I can quit thinking about it for now and wait it see if it was the right decision or a costly one?

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Hmmm, looks like someone is away on holidays and not up-dating the map.:rolleyes:

Lots of apothecia here. I will spray some for sure.;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
This year I don't think we will spray any, the crop just isn't good enough, it's short, thin and late. Probably just spray for FHB and nothing else

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hmmm, looks like someone is away on holidays and not up-dating the map.:rolleyes:

Lots of apothecia here. I will spray some for sure.;)
Lots here as well. Sprayed some and will do more as it comes to the right stage. Crop not the best but wet every night and windy every day which will spread spores from everywhere.

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
How are you guys checking for apothecia? We are debating on whether we should spray our latter canola that has had too much water and is thin with lots of variability in staging. If the staging is variable and the stand has been thinned due to excess water is there any economics to spraying this type of crop?

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
How are you guys checking for apothecia? We are debating on whether we should spray our latter canola that has had too much water and is thin with lots of variability in staging. If the staging is variable and the stand has been thinned due to excess water is there any economics to spraying this type of crop?
They are in fields that had canola last year, which would be this years wheat. Very thick canopy and moist at ground level. Just have to root around and find them while avoiding the mosquitoes.;)

If canola is thin and it gets drier from here out then it becomes a coin toss I would say. I actually have a fairly thick stand of canola so will spray.

·
Registered
526 Posts
They are in fields that had canola last year, which would be this years wheat. Very thick canopy and moist at ground level. Just have to root around and find them while avoiding the mosquitoes.;)

If canola is thin and it gets drier from here out then it becomes a coin toss I would say. I actually have a fairly thick stand of canola so will spray.
We have been finding them in the wheat and canola fields. Don't really have to look that hard to find them. Lots of rain and really wet every morning has brewed up a perfect environment for it so far.

·
Registered
382 Posts
In our area people are finding blackleg in all the canola. We've never had a blackleg problem. The agronomist says its probably too late to spray headline. He thinks it will only give it a couple weeks protection then will be back again. He's not convinced it will pay to spray. Anyone have experience with blackleg? The fields showed no signs early on before the six leaf so hopefully we don't loose much yield. It's the bottom most leaves showing signs.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I also see the shrooms in the wheat fields. I'm being selective on which fields to spray and then I'm selective on which parts of that field. I have some decent canola but lots is short and thin. Its hard to put $25/ac down willy nilly.

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Nicemustang are you then leaving the thinner canola and not spraying it? We have sprayed all our thicker stuff. I am thinking that the past week and a half of sun and wind will diminish the disease risk as time goes on.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
In our area people are finding blackleg in all the canola. We've never had a blackleg problem. The agronomist says its probably too late to spray headline. He thinks it will only give it a couple weeks protection then will be back again. He's not convinced it will pay to spray. Anyone have experience with blackleg? The fields showed no signs early on before the six leaf so hopefully we don't loose much yield. It's the bottom most leaves showing signs.
Take note of the varieties and severity of infection. I had L150 with 100% infection 2 years ago, did 19 bpa! L154 on same field yielded twice that. Not all varieties are equal despite ratings. I actually harrowed some VT500 into some of the L150 stubble last spring(no other option/too wet) and it out-yielded the L150 with only the residual fertilizer from the failed L150 crop!:eek:

So blackleg is becoming a huge issue IMO and is the reason why I am starting a major shift to other crops. I did put a Invigor canola variety trial on my worst L150 blackleg field from 2 years ago and will report back on what I see from that later. Need to know what to grow for canola going forward.;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Take note of the varieties and severity of infection. I had L150 with 100% infection 2 years ago, did 19 bpa! L154 on same field yielded twice that. Not all varieties are equal despite ratings. I actually harrowed some VT500 into some of the L150 stubble last spring(no other option/too wet) and it out-yielded the L150 with only the residual fertilizer from the failed L150 crop!:eek:

So blackleg is becoming a huge issue IMO and is the reason why I am starting a major shift to other crops. I did put a Invigor canola variety trial on my worst L150 blackleg field from 2 years ago and will report back on what I see from that later. Need to know what to grow for canola going forward.;)
We grew L5440 and L140p and they both have blackleg along with every other farmer in my areas canola fields. These varieties are not as resistant as they used to be?

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
These varieties are not as resistant as they used to be?
I don't know about that? There are many strains of blackleg and I think it is evolving from what I know of it. It really depends on how well these companies test/trial for resistance before they come to market. As evidenced by L150 the testing is obviously not up to snuff. I wish I could still get 5030 as it never was bothered by blackleg here when Dekalb and others failed on the same fields. But on we go to newer/better????/more expensive varieties.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Nicemustang are you then leaving the thinner canola and not spraying it?
Correct. Some fields not even touching. Did one field at half rate and one half of another field full rate as tests to see if one or other paid or if wasting money or prove if I should have done more.

I have some though that looks good, earlier stuff around here is better though depends on land type and previous crop.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Can anyone find a picture of the mushrooms? I found some with agroligist 2 years ago, but just trying to remember exactly what they look like. Kind of like a golf tee? We will be spraying all canola this year, there is a lot of potential in this part of the world. Had another rain last night, just enough to keep everything wet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Walking out in the fields at four in the afternoon lately and my pants and boots are sopping wet. Never dries out. I know the dusters gave been going steady this last week around here as well as ground guys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts