The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had an easy one this season yields were average 2.5t/acre Malting Barley, Oilseed Rape (Canola) was disappointing 1.5t/acre and Winter wheat was good at 4.3 tonnes per acre

Harvesting first Barley field with 1640 and 14 foot Powerflow header (Only one in UK on an Axial flow??) Barley gets sold to Co-op for sale to Malt Whisky distilleries eg Glen Ord Glen Morangie, MacAllan and Cutty Sark Blend 420 liters alcohol/tonne (93 imp gallons / tonne).

Harvesting Winter Wheat (Robigus) Yielded well in this field 50 acres 230 tonnes wheat goes to local grain distillery to be blended with malts to make Whyte and MacKay blend.

Father with our 1640 harvesting Oats for neighbour on his 1981 1440 and 13ft 810 header.

Neighbour and father again this time in spring barley undersown with grass. Tractor is a Deutz Agtron 135 and a 14 tonne bailey trailer

Normally I break a rotor belt a season hence the nickname and take a lot of stick for it but this year father was on her for one day and did the deed himself. To be honest it wasn't his fault one of the bearings on the torque sensing spring disintegrated and tension on the belt failed thus the belt exploded. We spent a lot on her this season new Gorden bars and floor on the grain tank as well as 10 new bearings and other bits and pieces on the header.

Cheers BB

·
Registered
722 Posts
A 13' head on a combine????
Man, that's barely the width of the combine.
Surely that combine could take a wider one than that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cessnaguy the 1440 stuggles along with 13ft 1.5-2.2mph. Due to there being a high demand for straw in our area we cut close to the ground we get 2-3 tonnes an acre straw through the machines and bale it into 4ft round bales 10-15/acre for sale to livestock farmers in the hills.

My own 1640 with its new dentures (rotor bars) tore through the barley at up to 5mph but averaged 3.8. The wheat slowed her down but output is up 20% on last year. However when harvesting in damp conditions especially oats then speed soon decreases to 1.2-2 mph.

Cheers BB

·
Registered
722 Posts
I hear ya talking loud and clear there, beltbraker. With your crop density smoke and belts would be flying in all directions if you kept pushing the machine all the time to the limits. I still think that it is smart to match the head span with the combine capacity for the crop conditions.

What width do you people drill in the rows of barley?
4'' or 6"?

On another note, I've seen guys out here pulling 40' cultivators with Cat Challengers when they could be pulling 60'. Just wasting good HP. Drawbars need a load cell fitted to let the operator know how much power is being wasted.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cessnaguy we drill at 6 inch seedrates vary early sown wheat (early September) 200-250 seeds/ square metre 08-1.25 cwt/ acre up to 450 seeds/ square metre in late October and 2cwt/ acre. Barley is normally 350 seeds / m squre or 1.5cwt March / April we drill canola at 2.8-4 kg / ha (2.5-3.5lbs/acre) All crop gets 1.25-1.5 cwt 12/52/0 granular fertiliser and then a 2 further top dressings of NPK depending on crop and field status as well as previous crop. As mentioned before we take the straw off so we have to replace the nutrients taken by that.

we also spray the crop up to four times. Once for weeds 2 fungicides and a Roundup harvest aid as well as weed control on headlands.

Cheers BB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts