The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth it to haul in yourself, or just get a guy in to haul it for free?

Obviously they do it for profit, but we have quite the pile amassed. I'd say about 100-150 ton.
And it's everything from rolled over equipment to vehicle frames to barbed wire to worn out shovels.
General farm scrap.
What do you guys do? I don't really have a decent way to haul it, as it's all kinds of shapes and sizes, only thing I have is a massive 55ton tridem lowboy.. not the best to haul scrap.

It's an eye sore already
Advice.. ?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Get someone in to haul it away. They will pay you a bit but you don't get your hands dirty. We cleaned up our yard last year, got a guy to bring out a box he dumped in our yard. He had a hoe with a magnet if we wanted but our stuff was scattered all over the place for 40 years. We loaded up his box, was a 20 yard one I believe, he came out and picked it up and paid us cash. Wasn't a lot but now the yard is clean. Trying to haul scrap if you're not equipped is a terrible job.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Your close enough to a city a scrap dealer will probilty do it for free. There was a mobile outfit that came to our neck of the wood a few years ago, were paying 10 bucks a ton. Cleaned up a **** load of old farm steads....then pulled the pin or went broke

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
10 bucks a ton? That sounds insane, about 5 years ago it in Manitoba you could get $140. I thought it was around 70-80 now.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Haul it yourself in the off season that is what I do and make decent money doing so especially if you are looking for something for employees to do

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
10 bucks a ton? That sounds insane, about 5 years ago it in Manitoba you could get $140. I thought it was around 70-80 now.

Maybe it was 20, but they were hauling it 2 hours away for recycling. Most guys were happy just to get there junk hauled away

They chopped it up before they hauled it away.

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
I love my scrap and misc stuff lol around here its measured by the acre. Most is in pastures and sitting so the cows can keep the grass down around it. Get people here at times who once they see whats behind the trees are awestruck and I've had guys spend a couple hours or more walking thru it just to see what all was there.
I keep the crap separate, have a large scrap bin of my own and when its full, suck it up on a float or the lowboy, load up any big stuff like vehicle carcasses and take it to town. Last I took in was over $100/ton, but has to be somewhat separated and there are other rules such as cable needs to be cut to length, gas tanks need to be removed from vehicles and all fluids drained and so on. Cast, copper, aluminum are much more, you want them separate. Last I took in, batteries were around $14 each. I aways go to Maple Leaf on the south side of Edmonton.

https://iscrapapp.com/yards/ca-alberta-edmonton-maple-leafs-metal/pricing/

Hihi, there are guys out there who will pay you and clean it up for you. Be careful, many are crooks and will **** you if given half a chance.
I do know a couple of brothers who do yard clean ups and such that are all good in my books and have done work for several people and and a very reputable auctioneer I know. I check out their yard often and I'm one of their best customers for buying usable iron they end up with. They are located north west of Wasatenau. If you want, say so on here and I will PM you their name and number.

·
Registered
182 Posts
A few years ago a big windstorm blew a few flat bottom bins around, by the time I took them apart and loaded them on the trailer to haul them in the pay wasn't worth the work.

That being said something that actually weighs something and has wheels loading on a trailer wouldn't be so bad but I really think having someone coming to load it and paying you a fair price for everything is well worth it for the time and frustration you would save yourself.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Hauled out a load of prepared about 2 weeks ago and 175$ a ton.

If ya got stuff 3'x3'x18" (prepared) start with hauling that cause that's worth a few bucks, have someone chop stuff up with a cutting torch and see how it goes.

Can be a pretty profitable gig if ya wanna take the time to do it.

·
Registered
766 Posts
We took a couple of loads in 2 weeks ago and got $220/ton for an old truck and misc small scrap and fence wire from our scrap bin.......no sorting. The money adds up real quick.....well worth our time. We are located close to the steel mill in Selkirk Mb so that helps out our prices. If you have a trailer and are close to Edmonton I'm sure that 100 to 150 tons will be quite profitable!!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I've got a mountain of scrap and have been waiting for the market to recover before cleaning it up. Had a few scrap dealers contact me lately, and somehow the $140/ton turns into $30 by the time they do the work, so it likely is worthwhile doing it yourself.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've been holding out for a better price after the last spike 5 or so years ago. Starting to get a pretty good pile but I'm hoping the tariffs will help speed the upward trend and maybe dump it all next winter.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just a word of warning

A few years ago we had a scrap buyer stop in asking if we had any precious metals we wanted to sell. I showed him our scrap aluminum bin, he made an offer, I said no thanks I think it is worth more than that.

A couple of days later when I went by the bin it was empty!!!

So now I take photo's of the drivers licence and the vehicle plates of any scrap guy looking around our yard. If they don't want to provide ID I ask them to leave and I call the RCMP with vehicle description and plate number.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Just a word of warning

A few years ago we had a scrap buyer stop in asking if we had any precious metals we wanted to sell. I showed him our scrap aluminum bin, he made an offer, I said no thanks I think it is worth more than that.

A couple of days later when I went by the bin it was empty!!!

So now I take photo's of the drivers licence and the vehicle plates of any scrap guy looking around our yard. If they don't want to provide ID I ask them to leave and I call the RCMP with vehicle description and plate number.
Good advice there. Not surprising. You encounter crooks in a lot of places, but 2 guarantees are traveling scrap guys and traveling barn painters.

Several years ago Dad agreed to have a scrap guy clean stuff up. The guy was supposed to "take it all" so it was cleaned up. All he did was pick through the pile and took the good stuff, screwing us on price that way. Grr....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts